The idea of a "Player's Coach"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Fisher is known for being a coach players love, for a variety of reasons. Who else in the NFL, currently, has the reputation of being a "Player's Coach," and why?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to determine if there are other coaches that get success out of their players by being super positive, with lower-intensity preseasons and by liberally using practice cancellations as a reward. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing, just want to see if it's a common thing.

First guy who comes to mind is Pete Carroll, who is a player's coach if ever I saw one. He reminds me a bit of Vermiel... maybe just 'cause he kinda looks like him. How intense are his practices and whatnot?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pete Carroll is the poster boy for players coach...I'd guess Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, Jack Del Rio, Jason Garrett, Lovie Smith, Dude with the Jags, and most of the younger guys...That old tough ass coach thing probably doesn't fly with millennials...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would rather a mix. Not a players coach but not a stern disciplinarian either.

But what I think NFL teams need these days are guys that really are good tacticians. This old school style is not cutting it anymore. Look at the Jets. Bowles has them looking great. Rex had them looking like a losing team. Now Rex is with Buffalo and he still couldn't overcome Belichick. Todays coaches have to smart. They have to be up on the current schemes and have some new wrinkles or techniques to help gain the edge. Martz and Vermeil were a great combo for todays NFL. Look how good Lovie was when he was DC in Tampa 15 years ago. His ideas were new. Walsh and the 49ers. Plain old school football is tough to win with.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The bottom line is... the players have to respect their HC (actually, fear him).

Do you think these players respect (or, better yet, fear) Jeff Fisher?

I honestly don't know... and I don't like my answer.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Players have to buy into the system. They have to believe that what they are practicing so hard(or little) for is going to transfer over to the field. I don't think fearing your head coach get's you any closer into buying in the type of o, d, or special teams scheme you are running. Older players, and problem players don't want to fear their head coach. They want one that is going to give it to them straight every time. I think that is more a defining feature of a players coach than anything else.

In my non existent experience in the matter, the players coach is the style you want to take. You encompass the young ones, the older ones, the problems ones, and your stars. Make them believe they are winners, and let them know the consequences of their actions. You better have a system, and a track record, and Fish has that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having raised 5 kids (and, yes, a lot of these players are like kids)... fear is a very effective motivator.
;):D

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Two (DC'S) Seattle' & Phoenix' from our popular NFC WEST Dan Quinn (Falcons) and is it Todd Bowles (Jets) are off to a very good start and it seems the teams have a brand new attitude. I want THAT but know Fisher aint' goin nowhere. Love Snead and Demoff compared to the crew we had for decades before in Shaw and his bunch . Its rare to get a new HC and keep the whole FO. We lack a few pieces and some playing time for the OL and health for ALL but especially Mason,Quick and of course our highest hopes for Todd Gurley. Wish he could be only brought in with his engines firing on all cylinders and ready for NFL speed. We can't afford to screw this up. Foles still needs instructions from our new QB Coach also. HIGH, HIGH HOPES! NO INJURIES!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher is known for being a coach players love, for a variety of reasons. Who else in the NFL, currently, has the reputation of being a "Player's Coach," and why?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to determine if there are other coaches that get success out of their players by being super positive, with lower-intensity preseasons and by liberally using practice cancellations as a reward. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing, just want to see if it's a common thing.

First guy who comes to mind is Pete Carroll, who is a player's coach if ever I saw one. He reminds me a bit of Vermiel... maybe just 'cause he kinda looks like him. How intense are his practices and whatnot?
Carroll is a player's coach only in the sense that he tries to be on the same level as them and jump around like a doucenozzle. But his practices are very tough. Often to the point of getting fined by the NFL for tiptoeing the line of what's actually permitted.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Carroll is a player's coach only in the sense that he tries to be on the same level as them and jump around like a doucenozzle. But his practices are very tough. Often to the point of getting fined by the NFL for tiptoeing the line of what's actually permitted.

Is that like, 2 nozzles as opposed to 1?

V3

Hall of Fame

Carroll's practices are hard. They were fined last year for being too hard in training camp. IMO that's why they're so good at tackling. On a side note: I believe the easy TCs are a reason so many players are getting so many injuries around the league, too.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Pete Carroll is the poster boy for players coach...I'd guess Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, Jack Del Rio, Jason Garrett, Lovie Smith, Dude with the Jags, and most of the younger guys...That old tough ass coach thing probably doesn't fly with millennials...
Bruce Arians does not come close to a players coach in my mind. Players are accountable for every small detail under him. Just my view of him. He is a no nonsense coach IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bruce Arians does not come close to a players coach in my mind. Players are accountable for every small detail under him. Just my view of him. He is a no nonsense coach IMO.
Why is being held accountable and a no nonsense approach considered not being a "players coach"? I think of guys that talk to the players openly, listening to their input, and being easy going as traits that identify "players coaches"...attention to detail should be something all HC's do....