The Hurricane

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I have never been in a hurricane. I have just moved to the East Coast (Providence RI). You East Coasters need to fill me in on what I should be doing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
I have never been in a hurricane. I have just moved to the East Coast (Providence RI). You East Coasters need to fill me in on what I should be doing.
Been through seven so far. Just stock up on things that you'll need and won't be able to get at the Supermarket (water, canned food, etc). Fill up your car (and any gas cans you have), get a bunch of batteries and flash lights, a portable radio, etc. Board up your windows if it's going to hit your area for sure. It helps if you have a gas grill with a full propane tank (or two), because you can cook everything on that without power. If it's going to hit your area, start emptying your fridge of all perishable items (meat & dairy).

If you're going to get slammed, and you don't think your house can take it, it may be better to get to a shelter like your local school or library if they're open.

Anonymous

The title of this thread reminded me of this chick I knew in college. Man could she....never mind.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've been through too many to remember. X gave you perfect advise on how to "Hunker Down".

Stock up on adult beverages too... I have some very large coolers that I pack with ice prior... you can keep things like milk and other things you'd need to refridgerate for several days if the power goes out. Sometimes the power stays out for days on end,,, in certain areas maybe weeks. Having ice for my captain and diet cokes is of vital importance as well.

When you don't have any power or water for about a week,,, baby wipe baths can be the difference between being able to sleep with your partner or alone somewhere else.

Candles are great too.

If you fill up your bathtubs with water prior, you can use that water to fill your toilet tank so that you can flush down #2's if your water goes out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
One more tip I use with ice...

I freeze a case of bottled water. The "block" ice stays frozen longer. Even when most of the ice is melted, you still have cold water to drink when you've been without power for a week or more during the heat of summer.

Freezing a milk jug full of water makes a great block of ice that lasts a long time. I do this for the big coolers in my boat when I'm going on long fishing trips. Your cubed ice will last longer if you have some block ice in with it.

BTW, I hope that none of this Hunker Down stuff ends up being necessary for anyone :ww:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys for your input. I plan on doing these things soon. Right now Irene isn't scheduled to hit us until early Monday morning.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have power again. Lost power for about 36 hours. Otherwise no problems. Thanks for everyone's input