The Hot Pepper Thread. Anyone else grow them?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not really dangerous but the product can be. Figure that you are taking all the heat from whatever pepper and reducing it down to little more than oils.

I'm doing a straight oil this year. No sauce. I might try dabbling in a sauce, but this oil is supposed to have many health benefits. The sauce would just depend on how much time I have. Or can trade out with you... :)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not gonna lie ...Hot peppers like that ruin my shit ...im a total wuss when it comes to hot spicy food ...i swear those reapers would kill me ....i mean straight up send me to meet my maker

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
OK..so who is the icehole feeding the dumb bunnies cold water? worst thing you could drink

I learned long ago sipping hot coffee makes the burn go away quicker. It might burn a little more intense for a moment, but it won't last long.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am growing some Serrano's, Habanero's, Giant Ghosts, Vipers, and Carolina Reaper's. I have some 7 pot's seeds but haven't started them.
They are all still small, I started them from seed germination. vipers and Ghosts have been more difficult to harden than the others. The serrano's grow the fastest with the super hot's being the slowest and most difficult for me

@Dagonet do you sell seeds? I maybe interested.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@BatteringRambo

Pic of a dried Carolina Reaper

Those specs you see will send you on a 3-5 minute roller coaster if put on your tongue.
Very smoky and tasty but very "HOT"
20160905_080515.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@Dagonet and @Dodgersrf

Sorry that it's taken me a while to respond about my "relish"... I've been out of town. My wife and I call it relish,,, but that's really a bad name for what it is. It's really just fresh jalapeno and fresh habs that I mix up every Sunday and it lasts me for about a week. I take 10 jalapeno peppers and I slice them to a thickness of about a third of an inch (seeds and all). Then I take about 6-10 habs (depending on their heat level) and cut out the membrane and seeds... I then slice the habs up into tiny slices (as thin as possible). I take all of that and put it into my food processor and chop them up so that the jalapenos are still in pieces that are relatively good sized... you don't want it to turn into mush or to take the jalapeno crunch out of them... so don't over process it. It keeps for about a week in the fridge.

It's really not a recipe... but I love that mixture on just about everything. I feel bad knowing that you guys were probably wanting more of a relish type of dish, and because of that, I'm going to share one of my good recipes with you that calls for some hot peppers.

You should know that I almost NEVER share recipes of mine with anyone. I get that from my Grandmother who wouldn't share her's. She wanted everyone to come over to her house to eat. I'm the same. But like I said, I feel bad about the relish thing so I'm going to share this kick ass recipe with you. Many have asked for this btw.

Selassie's Pineapple Salsa

*The KEY to real success with this is to use all fresh ingredients. So yeah,,, squeeze your own lime juice from the limes, don't use anything in a bottle.

1 fresh pineapple. Peel it yourself and dice it into small pieces. NO CANNED PINEAPPLE

1/4 cup diced Red Onion

1 Red Bell Pepper, cored, seeded, and diced

1 Hab seeded and minced

2 Jalapenos seeded and minced

1 bunch of cilantro chopped up into small pieces... (about 1/2 + cup loosely packed... I like a lot of this)

Fresh squeezed Lime Juice. I will use about 4-6 limes depending on the amount of juice. I like for the juice to cover most of the ingredients in the bowl.

1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all of the pineapple salsa ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Correct the seasonings, adding salt, sugar, or lime juice to taste. Cover and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

I like to double this recipe. The salsa really tastes great a day or 2 after you make it, and I like it so much that I want leftovers. It's fantastic on fish, chicken, and pork. Hell, it's good to eat all by itself.

My wife just walked into my office and was absolutely shocked to see me sharing a recipe. LOL. I know you guys will love it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
@Dagonet and @Dodgersrf

Sorry that it's taken me a while to respond about my "relish"... I've been out of town. My wife and I call it relish,,, but that's really a bad name for what it is. It's really just fresh jalapeno and fresh habs that I mix up every Sunday and it lasts me for about a week. I take 10 jalapeno peppers and I slice them to a thickness of about a third of an inch (seeds and all). Then I take about 6-10 habs (depending on their heat level) and cut out the membrane and seeds... I then slice the habs up into tiny slices (as thin as possible). I take all of that and put it into my food processor and chop them up so that the jalapenos are still in pieces that are relatively good sized... you don't want it to turn into mush or to take the jalapeno crunch out of them... so don't over process it. It keeps for about a week in the fridge.

It's really not a recipe... but I love that mixture on just about everything. I feel bad knowing that you guys were probably wanting more of a relish type of dish, and because of that, I'm going to share one of my good recipes with you that calls for some hot peppers.

You should know that I almost NEVER share recipes of mine with anyone. I get that from my Grandmother who wouldn't share her's. She wanted everyone to come over to her house to eat. I'm the same. But like I said, I feel bad about the relish thing so I'm going to share this kick ass recipe with you. Many have asked for this btw.

*The KEY to real success with this is to use all fresh ingredients. So yeah,,, squeeze your own lime juice from the limes, don't use anything in a bottle.

1 fresh pineapple. Peel it yourself and dice it into small pieces. NO CANNED PINEAPPLE

1/4 cup diced Red Onion

1 Hab seeded and minced

1 bunch of cilantro chopped up into small pieces... (about 1/2 + cup loosely packed... I like a lot of this)

Fresh squeezed Lime Juice. I will use about 4-6 limes depending on the amount of juice. I like for the juice to cover most of the ingredients in the bowl.

Combine all of the pineapple salsa ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Correct the seasonings, adding salt, sugar, or lime juice to taste. Cover and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

I like to double this recipe. The salsa really tastes great a day or 2 after you make it, and I like it so much that I want leftovers. It's fantastic on fish, chicken, and pork. Hell, it's good to eat all by itself.

My wife just walked into my office and was absolutely shocked to see me sharing a recipe. LOL. I know you guys will love it.
Love pinapple. I like to grill them with bbq chicken.
The problem I have is not eating them before I use them in a recipe. I've been known to eat a whole pineapple at once.

Thanks for sharing. Always looking for new ideas.
i do almost all the cooking at home. My kids are going to be 5 in a few weeks and they always prefer I cook rather than eat out.
So remember. When you share recipes, your doing it for the children.:whistle:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I learned long ago sipping hot coffee makes the burn go away quicker. It might burn a little more intense for a moment, but it won't last long.

Who would want the burn to go away? Just asking. :cool:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
@Dagonet and @Dodgersrf

1/4 cup diced Red Onion

1 Hab seeded and minced

Sounds good my friend.. We always use fresh pineapple here too. May not be as fresh as yours, but still. :) I am still fighting on something though. Why do you strip the hab's of the membranes? That's the sweet spot on those 275K Scoville peppers now. :cool: I shall try this with my Hungarians and Caribbean Reds (400K) and report back. Sounds pretty damn lerpin though (lerpin=excellent). Thanks for sharing my friend. If you want to try some Caribbean's let me know. I can send you 3 or 4. I also have a weird cross this year that's pretty damn good. It's a cross between a reaper and a hab. Plant is producing like it's on steroids too. lolol Least I could do for you sharing the recipe. Much appreciated.

PS. When you said relish, I thought you meant like a butter that a few friends of mine do here. It's not a butter, but more like a hab relish.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I am growing some Serrano's, Habanero's, Giant Ghosts, Vipers, and Carolina Reaper's. I have some 7 pot's seeds but haven't started them.
They are all still small, I started them from seed germination. vipers and Ghosts have been more difficult to harden than the others. The serrano's grow the fastest with the super hot's being the slowest and most difficult for me

@Dagonet do you sell seeds? I maybe interested.

Not as of yet, but I use my own seeds. Do you soak your seeds? That has helped me in the past. I have a solution I use. When you speak of hardening, I'm assuming you mean transitioning them to the outdoors? Also no matter what you do, super hots are the slowest. I'm working on getting them out earlier, and also using some trumped up fertilizers on the natural side of course. If you go to the weed growers sites, you will learn alot that can be applied to super hots. :)

PS. I have 2 good sources for seeds. One reason I still buy most is I grow a variety of peppers. Hungarians to Super Hots. They will cross pollinate, but I have a Reaper patch that stands alone and is over 200 yards away from my others. I'm doing them for seeds, besides the pods. I'd gladly send you a few if you want to give them a shot next year. Be wary on buying any seeds/plants on Ebay. You'll get ripped off in most cases. I learned that the hard way like 4 years ago.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
not gonna lie ...Hot peppers like that ruin my crap ...im a total wuss when it comes to hot spicy food ...i swear those reapers would kill me ....i mean straight up send me to meet my maker

Actually I have seen two studies that have said capsaicin causes cancer cells to commit suicide. Whether or not this is true who knows? But ever time I take a crap after eating super hot powder and feel the burn... I'm thinking if the studies are true, then my damn colon must be pretty clean. ;)

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
@BatteringRambo

Pic of a dried Carolina Reaper

Those specs you see will send you on a 3-5 minute roller coaster if put on your tongue.
Very smoky and tasty but very "HOT"
View attachment 16076

I do want to try smoking mine. I've heard it's most excellent.. That said I still love the sweet taste and then the burn of a reaper. Man when I'm dehydrating them, I'll pick a piece off and eat it. A store that sells mine locally couldn't believe I tore a raw piece off and ate it. Not a whole one now, but just a small piece.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
If you don't like super hots, I highly recommend these. Super Chili's have the same heat as a Cayenne at roughly 50K on scoville, but to me a much better flavor. Plus, they are very easy to grow in buckets. A hot pepper that rivals the Hungarians and jalapenos as a high producer. They're not a Super Hot, but I love the powder and it's flavor.

SC01.jpg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
My aunt's ex-husband (never met him so never considered him to be an uncle) was apparently diagnosed with some sort of throat cancer and was basically told that it was only a matter of time until it beat him. His new wife was researching more holistic treatments and found that some people had reported that drinking a shot of chili oil a day had helped them.

He started drinking a shot of chili oil (I think it was a shot) a day and his cancer started to clear up. He was making the stuff himself using ordinary olive oil. Not sure what kind of chilli he used but I suspect it probably doesn't matter as it may be something in all chili's that was the key ingredient.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sounds good my friend.. We always use fresh pineapple here too. May not be as fresh as yours, but still. :) I am still fighting on something though. Why do you strip the hab's of the membranes? That's the sweet spot on those 275K Scoville peppers now. :cool: I shall try this with my Hungarians and Caribbean Reds (400K) and report back. Sounds pretty damn lerpin though (lerpin=excellent). Thanks for sharing my friend. If you want to try some Caribbean's let me know. I can send you 3 or 4. I also have a weird cross this year that's pretty damn good. It's a cross between a reaper and a hab. Plant is producing like it's on steroids too. lolol Least I could do for you sharing the recipe. Much appreciated.

PS. When you said relish, I thought you meant like a butter that a few friends of mine do here. It's not a butter, but more like a hab relish.

I hear ya Dags. I do like it hot,,, but I don't really like it SO HOT that I feel the extreme burn go through my entire digestive tract inch by inch.

You can leave the seeds and membranes in for the salsa recipe if you want. I don't, but I will use double the jalapeños and Habs if it's just the wife and I eating it. That recipe allows guests to be able to eat it for the most part too... although some will still think it's too hot.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:snicker: Interesting way to put it.
Not in the way your thinking as I don't eat them ...... I mean curled up in the foetal position crying begging for death ruin my shit

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
My aunt's ex-husband (never met him so never considered him to be an uncle) was apparently diagnosed with some sort of throat cancer and was basically told that it was only a matter of time until it beat him. His new wife was researching more holistic treatments and found that some people had reported that drinking a shot of chili oil a day had helped them.

He started drinking a shot of chili oil (I think it was a shot) a day and his cancer started to clear up. He was making the stuff himself using ordinary olive oil. Not sure what kind of chilli he used but I suspect it probably doesn't matter as it may be something in all chili's that was the key ingredient.

2 studies I have seen. Capsaicin makes cancer cells commit suicide.. Don't know if it's true or not, but when I feel the burn in my colon I think of those studies. ;) God bless that it helped him. I have a FB buddy in England that is doing the oil daily. He gave me his recipe. He's supposedly also lost a lot of weight with the oil.