The Greatest Rock Band Of All Time, Finally Gets Honored

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
From Nbcnews: http://www.today.com/entertainment/...ammys-finally-deem-beatles-legends-2D11981962

Talk about a long and winding road. Fifty years after the Beatles rocked America with their appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” the Grammy Awards have deemed the massively influential British pop band worthy of a lifetime achievement award. Surviving members Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are set to reunite on stage when they receive the honor at Sunday's awards.

And while you know that can’t be bad, considering the commercial and critical acclaim the band has received, it is, as the Beatles once sang in “Penny Lane,” “very strange.” Acts with far less success and influence have received the award since its inception in 1962. The Grammy gang was all shook up about Elvis in 1971. Fred Astaire, primarily known as a dancer, got a leg up on the Fabs when he received his posthumously in 1989.

Heck, even other ’60s groups like the Beach Boys, the Who, and the Grateful Dead beat the Beatles to the punch. Yes, you read that right. The Dead got in before the Beatles. So did Frank Zappa.

Fans of the Liverpool legends, at this point, might wonder what goes on in the minds of the Grammy committee. Probably not a lot of planning, said Tim Riley, NPR music critic and author of books on both the Beatles and John Lennon.

“My mental note was that the Grammys just kind of blew it with the Beatles,” Riley told TODAY. “They were so inconsistent when it came to the Beatles. The larger story here is that the Grammys have never been on top of rock and roll at all.”

Riley said the reason the Grammys might be paying tribute now is “Ringo and Paul finally agreed to appear on stage together and they said, ‘Oh sure we’ll give you a Lifetime.’”

During the band’s heyday, they only nabbed a handful of Grammys, though they picked more after their split. Pop culture historian Robert Rodriguez, who has written or co-written nine books on the band, says the Grammys' history with the Beatles is “kind of spotty.

“They were nominated a lot more than they ever won,” he told TODAY. “Which might surprise some people if you look at the people that beat them out, like the Statler Brothers and other acts that came and went and were not quite on the same artistic level.”

Rodriguez also said he believes the Grammys purposely held back giving the lifetime achievement award to the Beatles because “they were kind of keeping this event in their pocket to make a big celebration out of it. Afterward they’re taping a tribute concert to be run on the anniversary of (the band's 1964) ‘Ed Sullivan’ appearance.”

That Jan. 27 concert is being called “The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles.” Performers will include Alicia Keys, John Legend, and John Mayer, all of whom, ironically, won more Grammys than the Beatles ever did.

The big question now is what Beatles songs Paul and Ringo will play — and who they’ll play with. With John Lennon and George Harrison deceased, it’ll be a bittersweet way for them to get back.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I was 8 years old the first time the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan's show and still remember it well. Also still listen to their music regularly and never get tired of it.
Not much into awards shows but this is well deserved and very long overdue.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was 8 years old the first time the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan's show and still remember it well. Also still listen to their music regularly and never get tired of it.
Not much into awards shows but this is well deserved and very long overdue.
I was 14,I was OK with it, but I'd seen Elvis his first time too.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
If I get my choice "Come Together"
From my favorite album of theirs, Abbey Road.

I didn't realize at the time that we were watching an historic act. Sucked that they split up so soon especially since the separate parts never equaled what they accomplished together.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A Day in the Life is my favorite song by them.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love rock (AC/DC, Zep, Def Lep, Mellencamp, CCR, Thorogood, Boston, Ozzy, Springstein, Segar, Van Halen etc...) but I don't listen to the Beattles and have a hard time accepting them as rock. But I guess they have no where else to be placed because they truly are in a league of their own, even if I adimently don't prefer them over the bands listed above.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
From my favorite album of theirs, Abbey Road.

I didn't realize at the time that we were watching an historic act. Sucked that they split up so soon especially since the separate parts never equaled what they accomplished together.
Yeah Abbey Road is my favorite too and Come Together has serious competition from almost every cut and WOULD probably lose out to the Medley except Joe Cocker IMO outdid them on She Came in Through the Bathroom Window.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I love rock (AC/DC, Zep, Def Lep, Mellencamp, CCR, Thorogood, Boston, Ozzy, Springstein, Segar, Van Halen etc...) but I don't listen to the Beattles and have a hard time accepting them as rock. But I guess they have no where else to be placed because they truly are in a league of their own, even if I adimently don't prefer them over the bands listed above.
Except of course many of the bands you consider "rock" have done covers of Beetles songs AND their guitar licks not waa waa'd and echoed and distorted are the equal of your icons,just sayin they are a little soft but their influence on rock is just profound.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-most-covered-song

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Except of course many of the bands you consider "rock" have done covers of Beetles songs AND their guitar licks not waa waa'd and echoed and distorted are the equal of your icons,just sayin they are a little soft but their influence on rock is just profound.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-the-most-covered-song

Yeah they were revolutionary, no doubt about it. I just am not much of a fan. Am not a fan of when my listed bands do covers of the Beattles, either. Like G&R doing Knocking on Heavens door... oh heck no. Lol

But they were at the beginning of rock so I guess I understand. It changed a whole lot from 60's to the 80'sz

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

I know what you mean about classifying their music. A lot of different influences and a lot of experimentation in their music that makes it tough to pigeonhole them. That's what makes them unique and their music so lasting.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Yeah Abbey Road is my favorite too and Come Together has serious competition from almost every cut and WOULD probably lose out to the Medley except Joe Cocker IMO outdid them on She Came in Through the Bathroom Window.
Very true about the quality of songs throughout the album. I agree with you about Cocker's version but love the medley.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Yeah they were revolutionary, no doubt about it. I just am not much of a fan. Am not a fan of when my listed bands do covers of the Beattles, either. Like G&R doing Knocking on Heavens door... oh heck no. Lol

But they were at the beginning of rock so I guess I understand. It changed a whole lot from 60's to the 80'sz
I think your last two sentences nailed it here. They were the beginning of rock, or rock in it's youth. It grew up and changed as it grew after the Beatles.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Although i am only 29, i grew up listening to the oldies stations whenever in my parents car. Always loved the Beatles even to this day. Imagine, Don't let me down, come together, Help, Yellow submarine, Hello goodbye, Hey Jude, She loves you, Yesterday, Let it be, etc. One of the greats.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Best cover i ever heard of theirs was A Perfect Circle's "Imagine". Great version of it. Stays true to the original, just a little darker tone to it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Best cover i ever heard of theirs was A Perfect Circle's "Imagine". Great version of it. Stays true to the original, just a little darker tone to it.

Yeah, A Perfect Circle does a nice cover of that too.

My favorite cover of any song is Johnny Cash's rendition of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails. Freakin haunting.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, A Perfect Circle does a nice cover of that too.

My favorite cover of any song is Johnny Cash's rendition of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails. Freakin haunting.

Great song, and also come from my one of my favorite albums of all time in Cash's American IV: The man comes around. Have listened to that song probably 500 times, along with every other song on the album. When i lived in Germany, every Friday me and my brother would go to this bar that would play rap and dance shit most of the night, but i knew the DJ and always got him to play "When the Man Comes Around" at least once or twice during the night, that was the only Cash song he had of his, but i loved hearing every second of it when he played it.

I think my favorite cover by Cash is Stings "I Hung My Head". Though sometimes "Hurt" is my favorite cover of his, its a back and forth battle lol, and a good battle at that.

My favorite cover of all time is Nirvana's "Where did you sleep last night" which its previous versions and original is called "In the Pines".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Great song, and also come from my one of my favorite albums of all time in Cash's American IV: The man comes around. Have listened to that song probably 500 times, along with every other song on the album. When i lived in Germany, every Friday me and my brother would go to this bar that would play rap and dance shyte most of the night, but i knew the DJ and always got him to play "When the Man Comes Around" at least once or twice during the night, that was the only Cash song he had of his, but i loved hearing every second of it when he played it.

I think my favorite cover by Cash is Stings "I Hung My Head". Though sometimes "Hurt" is my favorite cover of his, its a back and forth battle lol, and a good battle at that.

My favorite cover of all time is Nirvana's "Where did you sleep last night" which its previous versions and original is called "In the Pines".
That's pretty cool. We should turn this into a cover tune thread and hijack this bad boy. Of course the best cover tune of all time is probably how Manfred Mann's Earth Band turned Bruce Springsteen's piece of shit song "Blinded by the Light" into a real tune.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That's pretty cool. We should turn this into a cover tune thread and hijack this bad boy. Of course the best cover tune of all time is probably how Manfred Mann's Earth Band turned Bruce Springsteen's piece of shyte song "Blinded by the Light" into a real tune.

Can't argue that, that is an amazing ass song they re-did. Get lost in that song sometimes. Though when i was younger i thought he was saying douche instead of Deuce lol.

Since were highjacking this thread for covers, i'll add one you might not have heard. Dropkick Murphys cover of "Johnny i hardly knew ya". I love my Irish Folk/Punk music. Black Velvet Band is another old folk song they cover really good as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can't argue that, that is an amazing ass song they re-did. Get lost in that song sometimes. Though when i was younger i thought he was saying douche instead of Deuce lol.

Since were highjacking this thread for covers, i'll add one you might not have heard. Dropkick Murphys cover of "Johnny i hardly knew ya". I love my Irish Folk/Punk music. Black Velvet Band is another old folk song they cover really good as well.

lol. EVERYONE thought he was saying douche.
That was a catchy tune you posted. I could listen to that a few times.

How about this one? :rofl: