The Gibson "Drop" on Closer Examination

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dunno. Looking back on it, this would be one helluva catch if he was able to haul it in AND hold onto it. He had to rotate 180 to catch it, and then if/when he did, he was about to get his deck wrecked anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGX3plK-n4[/youtube]
hd.jpg

And ... some comments from another board.

Zooey said:
Eternal Ramnation said:
I have watched that "drop " over and over again. I don't know of a WR that makes that catch. Gibson's running flat out. He rotates his torso as far as humanly possible. The ball hits him on the shoulder pad , the wrong shoulder,the shoulder that was already as far as it would go. How many 180's is his spine supposed to do?
That is what I thought, too. Given his position, that ball was damn near uncatchable. I don't know if he could have turned the other way, or made an adjustment earlier, but in spite of the fact that he was open, that would have been a ridiculously good catch.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
I dunno. Looking back on it, this would be one helluva catch if he was able to haul it in AND hold onto it. He had to rotate 180 to catch it, and then if/when he did, he was about to get his deck wrecked anyway.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGX3plK-n4[/youtube]
hd.jpg

And ... some comments from another board.

Zooey said:
Eternal Ramnation said:
I have watched that "drop " over and over again. I don't know of a WR that makes that catch. Gibson's running flat out. He rotates his torso as far as humanly possible. The ball hits him on the shoulder pad , the wrong shoulder,the shoulder that was already as far as it would go. How many 180's is his spine supposed to do?

That is what I thought, too. Given his position, that ball was damn near uncatchable. I don't know if he could have turned the other way, or made an adjustment earlier, but in spite of the fact that he was open, that would have been a ridiculously good catch.

Soooo, what you're saying...is that Sam throws a less than accurate deep ball?? :rofl:

I dunno X, I still think you have to make that catch at this level. Tough? Yes. Catch-able? Absolutely. Let me ask you this...does Lloyd pull that ball in?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
I dunno X, I still think you have to make that catch at this level. Tough? Yes. Catch-able? Absolutely. Let me ask you this...does Lloyd pull that ball in?
Hard to answer that one. Lloyd is more of a contortionist, but I've seen him drop some balls too. He would definitely have had a better shot at it, sure. But. He would have gotten his head knocked off too, and that DB was playing the ball along with the receiver's head. Just saying it would have been a great catch and we shouldn't necessarily fault him for not making what other people are trying to call a "routine catch."

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He should have caught the ball if you ask me.

One of my boys plays WR,,, and he loves to tell anyone who will listen , "If I can get just 1 hand on the ball , I should make the catch."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Faceplant said:
Hard to answer that one. Lloyd is more of a contortionist, but I've seen him drop some balls too. He would definitely have had a better shot at it, sure. But. He would have gotten his head knocked off too, and that DB was playing the ball along with the receiver's head. Just saying it would have been a great catch and we shouldn't necessarily fault him for not making what other people are trying to call a "routine catch."

No way that is a routine catch. No way. Still think he shoulda caught it though. Ah well.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
It was Gibson's fault on that catch.

1. He didn't have to jump, but instead he should have turned the shoulder towards the sideline. He made the wrong adjustments while the ball was in the air. What did they always tell you as a receiver...NEVER JUMP unless it's over your head, because you will lose running speed.

As for getting laid out? He would have caught the ball and gone out of bounce....

Seriously, people who are trying to defend this scrub is ridiculous. He shouldn't even be on this damn team. ugh....

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think he should have gotten it. Would have been a great catch, but he should have gotten it. I don't think there's any place for that ball to be that the defender couldn't easily knock it away other than right there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: The Gibson "Drop" on Closer Examination

Well screw you, you buncha Gibson haters.

* takes ball, goes home.*

Sent via Tapatalk2.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Age old rule.

If it hits your hands, you gotta catch it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: The Gibson

X said:
Well screw you, you buncha Gibson haters.

* takes ball, goes home.*

Sent via Tapatalk2.

I got nothing but love for Gibson, I just follow the Faulk rule. :ww:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am actually a Gibson apologist. But yeah... he should have caught that ball.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
You know you're deep into homerism when you can proudly state that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
You know you're deep into homerism when you can proudly state that.

True dat.

But I DO actually like how he goes out and plays hard and generally runs good routes. Put a real "#1" on the other side of the field and I think Gibson's numbers change drastically. What would he do with a steady dose of single coverage?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
A slight variation on the old standard cliche, I think I'm going to test it in this case though.
It's a, "DAMN!" if ya do and a "damned." if ya don't sort of thing. Think about it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
A slight variation on the old standard cliche, I think I'm going to test it in this case though.
It's a, "DAMN!" if ya do and a "damned." if ya don't sort of thing. Think about it.
I like it.

A lot.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Gibson's single mistake on that play was tracking the ball over his right shoulder. With the ball coming on his left the adjustment was that much harder, causing the jump and his hands getting out late. And yet, looking over his left would have limited his vision and I'm fairly sure he was supposed to be looking to his right while on the left sideline.

So, yeah. It would have been a difficult catch and the miss appeared to make his attempt look bad. Perhaps next time he'll recognize which side the ball is coming to and turn so it's simply an over the shoulder catch.

Not that taking your eye off the ball to reacquire it on the other side is all that easy, either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
Gibson's single mistake on that play was tracking the ball over his right shoulder.
And that, my friend, is what I feel is Gibson's biggest flaw.

I've seen him make ridiculous catches on post patterns and 9 routes, but when he's got to actually track a long ball, it fucks him all up. For whatever reason, he just loses his bearings. If you're able, go back and look at the Eagles game of last year for examples of both.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quixote nails it. Over the other shoulder and it's a perfect pass and he never breaks stride, but still gets nailed hard and would have to hang onto it while flying to the ground with the hit/force of being in a small car accident. I think he had a nice try even with the miss. If he makes that catch, all of a sudden we have a legit deep threat and highlight man. Life is good! His "drop" only make us wonder which star free agent WR is available next year and can we back up the Brinks truck and pay him a kings ransom so we don't have this "Drop" thread discussion on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday the following week.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
Like the three previous posts above me. I stated that earlier in the thread.....

Made the wrong adjustments, and turned the wrong way. I seriously hate Gibson and think he's a scrub.