The Giants' big whiff: Andrew Whitworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/54594/the-giants-big-whiff-andrew-whitworth

Jordan Raanan: Espn Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It is almost as if the pretty girl in school had a crush on the New York Giants. She happened to be a few years older, so they never had the courage to make a move, and never seriously looked into the possibility that it could potentially work out. Without the effort, there never was a chance.

This was the situation with offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. He was a free agent this past offseason after 11 successful seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. He's soon-to-be 36 years old and on the back nine of his NFL career, but still a top-notch lineman. Pro Football Focus ranks him seventh among 74 offensive tackles.

Scared by the age (or so they say), the Giants didn't express interest in the most attractive free-agent tackle this offseason. The Giants elected to stay put with the unproven Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart as their starters on the left and right sides, respectively.

It was, to be kind, a flawed plan.
The Los Angeles Rams had something else in mind. They decided to exile former No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson and sign Whitworth to a three-year, $33.75 million deal this offseason. This was their a major part of their plan to fixed a broken offense.

The addition of Whitworth has been a game-changer.

"He's been outstanding. He's influenced and affecting his teammates in a positive way really from Day 1 and since he got in here," Rams coach Sean McVay said Wednesday on a conference call with Giants reporters. "He kind of did it at first by observing and doing things the right way every single day. And then he started to really be able to coach guys up. He's been a great example of what it looks like to be a pro. You can see why he's been so successful through the course of his career. He's also been a great resource for me to lean on as far as trusting the players and empowering them. Very thankful to have such a great leader, great person, great player like him on our team."

The Rams (5-2) have a top-10 offense and rushing attack after finishing near the bottom of the league (32nd and 31st) last season. Whitworth has been a key component to the turnaround.

Not expressing interest is a decision the Giants should regret. They desperately needed a veteran left tackle that could be trusted to protect quarterback Eli Manning's blindside, especially with the other edge a question mark.
Whitworth was available to be their answer, except the Giants inexplicably opted to ... do not much at all to upgrade their offensive line. They took a late flier on D.J. Fluker, who is now starting at right guard, and drafted Adam Bisnowaty in the sixth round. It wasn't enough to avoid the offense from being handicapped by the problems off the edges.

"Well, again, we want to be a younger football team and everybody has an opinion about who was available and who wasn't," general manager Jerry Reese said last week. "To us, it didn't make sense for us, and that's what we went with. We want to be a younger offensive line. Again, do you want to try to develop a 23-year-old guy, or do you want to bring in a 36-year-old guy? We chose to go with the young guy."

The Rams weren't all that worried about Whitworth's age. They saw through the number.

"When you look back at the history of the league and it's kind of a little bit different finding a tackle with his amount of experience, but it's important to consider: What does the tape look like? What does the production down-in and down-out? How does he take care of himself?" McVay said. "He's played at a Pro Bowl-caliber level the last couple years and been extremely efficient and extremely productive and takes great care of himself. So I think that is why you see him as the outlier for those tackles that you go pay him the amount of money that you do.

"But he's certainly making us right on that decision."

The Giants' line has hamstrung their passing attack. They've had weeks when Manning has been forced to get rid of the ball faster than any other quarterback in the league.

As for Whitworth, he's possibly the single-best offseason acquisition of any free agent this year. He has reshaped the Rams' offensive line.

Whitworth was selected to be a captain in his first year on a young team, a lead-by-example guy who immediately caught his teammates' attention.

"A lot of young people in today's society believe that leadership is the loudest person in the room, or the person who's always commanding people," Whitworth told ESPN several weeks back. "To me, that's not leadership. That's just a loud voice; just someone who's assertive. There's a difference. Leadership, to me, is about the ability to have people want to hear what you have to say. People want to be around you, people want to believe in what you tell them, and they feel good when they walk away from you about who they are and what they're doing."
years and been extremely efficient and extremely productive and takes great care of himself. So I think that is why you see him as the outlier for those tackles that you go pay him the amount of money that you do.

"But he's certainly making us right on that decision."

The Giants' line has hamstrung their passing attack. They've had weeks when Manning has been forced to get rid of the ball faster than any other quarterback in the league.
Whitworth's presence on a young Giants line, with four of its five original starters 27 or younger, would have been invaluable on and off the field. Flowers and Hart could use the positive influence. Nothing has worked so far with them.

The Giants' line has been a constant figure of uncertainty. They have started five different line combinations in seven games, and Justin Pugh has been asked to flip back and forth from left guard to right tackle with Hart injured and struggling badly.

The line is one of many reasons they are 30th in the NFL, having averaged 16.0 points per game this season. Whitworth might not have solved all their woes, but he certainly would've helped.

The Giants whiffed on their opportunity to court the best offensive tackle on the market. Flowers is ranked 53rd out of 74 offensive tackles by Pro Football Focus. He has allowed almost double the pressures and is among the worst run-blocking tackles (66th out of 71) in the league.

The Giants have suffered as a result of their decision to not try to sign Whitworth. There appears to be no doubt about that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of the big differences was that the Rams had an extra year with GROB and the new staff including OL Coach Aaron Kromer was not part of drafting Robinson too, that plays a huge factor. Overall, glad the Giants opted to stay out of the bidding and signing Whitworth was the first piece of McVay's master plan.

Psycho_X

Legend
If we can get two solid years out of Whitworth to protect Goff's blindside during the most important years of a QBs life to allow him to learn his role without a beat down it'll be worth twice what we're paying Whit. By far my favorite free agent signing since Adam Timmerman.

And the way he carries himself and takes care of himself I hope they keep him around as an assistant coach when he decides to hang it up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"He's been outstanding. He's influenced and affecting his teammates in a positive way really from Day 1 and since he got in here," Rams coach Sean McVay said Wednesday on a conference call with Giants reporters. "He kind of did it at first by observing and doing things the right way every single day. And then he started to really be able to coach guys up. He's been a great example of what it looks like to be a pro. You can see why he's been so successful through the course of his career. He's also been a great resource for me to lean on as far as trusting the players and empowering them. Very thankful to have such a great leader, great person, great player like him on our team."

i know there's a bit of fluff in there but man it must feel good to hear your hc talking about you this way.

"A lot of young people in today's society believe that leadership is the loudest person in the room, or the person who's always commanding people," Whitworth told ESPN several weeks back. "To me, that's not leadership. That's just a loud voice; just someone who's assertive. There's a difference. Leadership, to me, is about the ability to have people want to hear what you have to say. People want to be around you, people want to believe in what you tell them, and they feel good when they walk away from you about who they are and what they're doing."

that right there says everything you need to know about this guy. the rams are truly blessed he chose to sign with them. kudos to snead and mcvay for making the right choice in player/leader.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One of the big differences was that the Rams had an extra year with GROB and the new staff including OL Coach Aaron Kromer was not part of drafting Robinson too, that plays a huge factor. Overall, glad the Giants opted to stay out of the bidding and signing Whitworth was the first piece of McVay's master plan.

There is a possibility they couldn't afford him though. Remember how they spent wildy the previous off season.........especially fixing the defense.

Which is now ranked 17th.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/11...er-andrew-whitworth-keeps-beating-father-time

Giants vs. Rams: “Outlier” Andrew Whitworth keeps beating Father Time
Whitworth proving Giants, others wrong for ignoring him in free agency
by Ed Valentine

usa_today_10377433.0.jpg

Andrew Whitworth/Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese has been robustly criticized for not doing anything significant last offseason in an effort to improve what was an inadequate offensive line in 2016. That’s because it has, for the most part, been an inadequate offensive line this season as the Giants have fallen to 1-6.

The player most thought would be logical to pursue with quarterback Eli Manning playing at the age of 36, was 35-year-old Andrew Whitworth, a Pro Bowler in each of the past two seasons.

The Giants stood pat, though, and Whitworth signed a three-year, $33.75 million contract ($15 million guaranteed) with Sunday’s opponent, the 5-2 Los Angeles Rams.

So, how much difference has Whitworth, four years older than Los Angeles head coach Sean McVay, made as the Rams have averaged 30.3 points per game and already surpassed their 2016 total of four victories?

“He’s been outstanding. He’s influencing and affecting his teammates in a positive way, really from day one, since he got in here,” McVay said Wednesday in a conference call with New York media. “He kind of did at first by just kind of observing and doing things the right way every single day and then he started to really be able to coach guys up and has been a great example of what it looks like to be a pro.

“You see why he’s been so successful throughout the course of his career. He’s also been a great resource for me to lean on, as far as just trusting the players, empowering them. Very thankful to have such a great leader, a great person, great player like him on our team.”

The Giants would have had to structure their offseason differently to sign Whitworth, who had spent his entire career with the Cincinnati Bengals before signing with the Rams. They could not have signed wide receiver Brandon Marshall and would probably have had to forego the signings of a few other players, notably tight end Rhett Ellison (four years, $18 million, $8 million guaranteed).

What could Whitworth have done for the Giants? He would have been their left tackle, allowing Ereck Flowers to move to the right side and Justin Pugh to stay at left guard where he is best suited. That would have improved the line, and added depth. Whitworth also would have added leadership and professionalism to a locker room that apparently could use a bit more of both.

To be fair, signing 35-year-old free agents to lucrative free agent contract is generally not good business.

“Do you want to try to develop a 23-year old guy, or do you want to bring in a 36-year old guy? We chose to go with the young guy,” is the explanation GM Jerry Reese offered during the bye week for passing on Whitworth.

The young Rams, with the league’s youngest head coach and a second-year quarterback in whom they invested the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, had no such hesitation.

McVay admitted that the Rams “absolutely had a major priority on” signing Whitworth.

Also to be fair, perhaps Whitworth’s play has slipped just a tiny bit. Pro Football Focus has him graded as the seventh-ranked tackle in the league after being No. 2 a season ago. He has allowed three sacks.

McVay admitted that Whitworth is an “outlier” in terms of an offensive lineman performing as well as Whitworth is at an advanced NFL age.

“You know, when you look back at the history of the league and it’s kind of a little bit different, just based on signing a tackle with his amount of experience, but I think it’s also important to consider, what does the tape look like?

What is the production down in and down out, how does he take care of himself? He’s played at a Pro Bowl caliber level the last couple years and been extremely efficient, extremely productive and takes great care of himself,” McVay said. “So, I think that’s why you see him kind of as the outlier for those tackles that you go pay them the amount of money that you do. But, he’s certainly making us right on that decision right now.”

The Giants’ 1-6 record and their struggles to field a functional offensive line are proving them wrong.

Sunday, Giants fans get to see first-hand what might have been.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://nypost.com/2017/11/02/giants-shunned-o-lineman-who-has-been-outstanding-for-rams/
Giants shunned O-lineman who has ‘been outstanding’ for Rams
By Zach Braziller

November 2, 2017 | 5:04am

Spoiler alert: The next few paragraphs may be painful, Giants fans.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, the player general manager Jerry Reese felt was too old to pursue, has been a major factor in the Rams’ 5-2 start, according to LA coach Sean McVay.

“He’s been outstanding,” McVay said Wednesday on a conference call. “He’s been influencing and affecting his teammates in a positive way really from Day 1, since he got in here.”

McVay said the 35-year-old Whitworth, a three-time Pro Bowler, was the Rams’ top free-agent target. When Reese was asked last week about not pursuing Whitworth this offseason, he said, “We want to be a younger football team.”

Choosing to develop Ereck Flowers rather than pursue Whitworth hasn’t worked out so well for the Giants, who have struggled up-front yet again. Whitworth’s age didn’t bother the Rams.

“When you look back at the history of the league, and it’s kind of a little bit different based on finding a tackle with his amount of experience, but I think it’s also important to consider what does the tape look like, what is the production down-in and down-out [look like], how does he take care of himself,” McVay said. “He’s played at a Pro Bowl-caliber level for the last couple of years and been extremely efficient, extremely productive. He takes great care of himself. I think that’s why you see him kind of as the outlier for those tackles that you go pay them the amount of money that you do. But he’s certainly making us right on that decision right now.”

The bye week didn’t solve the Giants’ injury woes. Right tackle Justin Pugh (back), safety Nat Berhe (calf), middle linebacker B.J. Goodson (ankle), defensive ends Olivier Vernon (ankle) and Kerry Wynn (knee), and center Weston Richburg (concussion) didn’t practice Wednesday. Tight end Rhett Ellison was excused for personal reasons. Linebacker Jonathan Casillas (neck), linebacker Calvin Munson (quad) and defensive tackle Robert Thomas (calf) were limited.

Wide receiver Sterling Shepard (ankle), who has missed the past two games, practiced on a limited basis and expects to be active Sunday.

“Ultimately, I feel good,” the second-year receiver said. “I’ve been out for the last few weeks, so it’s going to feel good to get back in.”

Shepard will be a welcome addition to the Giants’ offense, which is without injured star wideouts Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall for the rest of the season.

“I got to come up with big plays, that’s the main thing,” Shepard said. “We’re missing some big-play guys.”

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The thing I find interesting is that in this one rare case, members of the press are rightly blaming the line and not the QB. Manning is getting the “pass” Warner was never afforded when he played there. Goff was never given that “pass” last year.

Yet this offseason there will be cries to draft a new QB by these same reporters.

Bet

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Giants OL is knda like the Rams OL of last year. Manning has to get the ball out fast. No time for seven step drops and throwing a ball deep.

Manning is going to have an upfront personnel aquaintence with Donald, Quinn, Tree and the rest of the Rams DL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing I find interesting is that in this one rare case, members of the press are rightly blaming the line and not the QB. Manning is getting the “pass” Warner was never afforded when he played there. Goff was never given that “pass” last year.

Yet this offseason there will be cries to draft a new QB by these same reporters.

Bet
So true. Remarkably, Manning is having a decent, if unspectacular, season. No running game, worst o-line in the game and lost 4 WR, 3 of which were his tops.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's my newer developing opinion the last several yrs that my Ram team would be better if they utilized & work on using salary cap on healthy veteran offensive OL'ers like Andrew Whitworth. Build & keep your OL stocked with well seasoned OT & centers & to a little lesser degree OG posts.

IMO using the draft to build & blend your team with youth should come from selecting mainly on defensive prospects. Defensive players just seem to hit the field & can play at a higher level much earlier in their first 4 yr contracts. Thus paying dividends in the cap $$ in these much lower salaried draftees.

In the same line of thought using Ram high priceless valued draft picks primarily utilized on CB's whom normally playoff instantly @ high performance capabilities followed by LB'ers & DL'ers.

Sure looks like they will be forced to utilize either their first round selection on a LT in this upcoming draft or the 3rd round selection ...not good but it they may get a chance to bring in here the replacement of Andrew Whitworth.

Flys in the face of what I was advocating but keeping well seasoned OL'ers like Sullivan & Saffold into the future, I would also be looking for another veteran UFA OL'er in March too. My leading veteran UFA OL'er is Skins Spencer Long who can play & start @ thee interior positions.
https://overthecap.com/free-agency
Giants OL is knda like the Rams OL of last year. Manning has to get the ball out fast. No time for seven step drops and throwing a ball deep.

Manning is going to have an upfront personnel acquaintance with Donald, Quinn, Tree and the rest of the Rams DL.
I would replace OSLB'er Quinn's name with OSLB'er Longacre who leads the Rams in sacks with four & OSLB Barwin who is 2nd with 3 sacks. Manning will see much of Quinn as he run by his left side several yards away from him in a blurry mass.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Make no mistake if teams knew Whit was going to be this effective at his advanced age he wouldn't be with the Rams right now. LT's besides QB and WR are the most highly sought after position in the NFL. Taking him was a gamble, and it just so happens to have paid off for the Rams. Most teams would have passed and did pass on Andrew. I give props to the Rams coaching staff for studying his tape to see if his play has fallen off. To their credit it really hasn't. Look for him to make another probowl appearance if he stays the course.

Cheers.