The ghost of Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Good comp, but Avery ran a 4.27. Givens ran a 4.41. Avery was a legit track burner with absurd speed. And to that point, if Avery hadn't gotten hurt, I firmly believe that if he hadn't gotten his knee ripped up in the preseason he would have put up a thousand yards in 2010, seeing how he and Bradford were clicking. Him on the outside, Amendola in the slot, Brandon Gibson on the other side - that's not a bad WR lineup.

I didn't know he was that fast. But I don't think he plays that fast, I think with pads on, he wasn't much quicker than Givens, if at all.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's basically Donny, good, fast guy who can beat guys over the top playing way out of positon. We don't want to get rid of him because he's still a good, legit option to hit when we need a big play and Britt and co are getting covered. Remember the remorse people felt after Avery started tearing it up in his appropriate role, that'd be us again if we let go of Givens because we decided he had to be a number 1 based on the fact that he burnt a few guys in his first season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't really see the similarities between Givens and Avery. For one thing, Givens can play hurt :whistle:
I also think Avery had a lot more talent than Givens.

RFIP

the-ghost-and-mrs-muir.jpg

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
What has happened to Chris Givens?

He admitted earlier this year that the success of his rookie season "went to his head" and he didn't apply himself appropriately in the offseason for year two. But in that same piece, he said he worked harder this past offseason to prepare for this year.

By all accounts; his reps have diminished and he's moved down the depth chart. From training camp reports and as revealed in our first preseason game.

With his speed, you would think he'd still be able to bust open a play or two like he did in 2012. Where did that go?

Is this a case of lost confidence?

Has he lost a step?

Have teams just figured out how to play him?

Is he stubborn and failing in some fashion of honing his craft, such as beating the jam and/or going across the middle?

I truly believe he could be in danger of losing his roster spot... Or at the very least, the writing is on the wall he is in trouble.

Thoughts?
He is weak, physically---and maybe mentally. His hands are ok, but if he is 'contested' his hands disappear. In 2012 he 'tricked' the league, and now they know how to play him. His game is all about speed--well you have to beat the jam to use your speed. I think he can't do that. He couldn't beat the jam from Janoris all camp long in 2013--per reports. So, I not surprised.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
With Brits arrival, someone has to drop down the chart.. I always thought it'd be petits though, not givens
I think Pettis very valuable because of all the key third downs he made last year. While watching the games I was surprised how many he converted. He was important....for a 5th WR, that is a great thing. I actaully think if he keeps hanging in there, he will be R Proehl...but I doubt that happens, unless he goes to a place where he can be a great 4th option.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I think Pettis very valuable because of all the key third downs he made last year. While watching the games I was surprised how many he converted. He was important....for a 5th WR, that is a great thing. I actaully think if he keeps hanging in there, he will be R Proehl...but I doubt that happens, unless he goes to a place where he can be a great 4th option.

I always thought bailey would be our third down guy though

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Givens is a deep ball guy, he may come back when Sam's arm is back on the field, if not, he may notice he's getting less reps