The ghost of Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Ugh that run d.... It's only preseason gotta tell myself that

I always saw Givens as more of a slot receiver and thought that he was misused as a split end. Plenty of post, seam and corner routes in a play action passing attack if he stays on the roster. I'm all for top-grading if that proves out.

Why do you say that? Slot guys typically see a lot of action across the middle and that's the thing Givens likes the least.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The guy is a fourth rounder not a first so I cut him some slack. With his speed he would have been a much higher pick if he had a complete skill set. His speed and the element of surprise helped him make some plays deep. But even then he struggled with the catches. He is straight line runner, he doesn't have much wiggle to him which hinders his ability to make cuts at full speed.
I haven't given up on him at all. He can improve his route running and having Britt and Quick work underneath him should help him get single coverage deep.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
If the rest of the team improves, so will Givens. Especially if he's going up against lesser competition in the slot.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
He's probably never going to be a complete receiver, but he's great as a deep threat. There is no reason we should have to get rid of him, and he works cheap.
The dude just hasn't developed any route running skills - any chance the light bulb goes on for him?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's good when he's not the main option. Let him run his game against a 3rd/4th corner, he shines. Yeah, he's a one trick pony, but put him in a position for him to use his one trick, he blows past guys and makes plays. He already has great chemistry with Bradford, and as the last receiver that's important.

Remember last preseason when Bradford was hitting Givens over and over again? That can still happen when he's going against similar talent, like the 3rd/4th corners he was burning in preseason. As the last receiver, that's who he's facing.

I would keep him. Can't get a 6th or 7th option as good as him.

Ramathon

I always saw Givens as more of a slot receiver and thought that he was misused as a split end.

Boy, I couldn't disagree more. IMO, the biggest shortcoming to Givens is his seeming unwillingness to fight for the ball. I.e., he just doesn't have the 'That ball is mine, nobody's catching it but me' attitude....which, IMO, is the single most important factor for a WR who's going to run a lot of their routes going over the middle. See Danny Amendola.

Givens is great if the QB is basically going to throw it as far as he can and all Givens has to do is outrun the defender to get the ball. But there were several distinct instances I saw last year when, in the least bit of traffic, he just didn't make an effort for a ball that wasn't right in his chest.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The performance of some of the receivers way down the depth chart makes it that much more interesting. I wonder what kind of trade value the guy has? Anything?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If(God forbid) T.Austin or Britt goes down to injury, we're gonna want Givens on the roster...especially through Bailey's suspension.
I'd like to re-evaluate Givens after pre-season.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wasn't that givens who drew the PI flag on the deep ball?

That may not show up on the stat sheet, but that is making a play.

Having said that - he is in a battle right now not just for playing time but to stay on this roster after week 5.
In the 4th quarter of the first Preseason game. You can't spin that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If(God forbid) T.Austin or Britt goes down to injury, we're gonna want Givens on the roster...especially through Bailey's suspension.
I'd like to re-evaluate Givens after pre-season.

Exactly. It's year 3. Let's see what the kid can do with SB back. As a reserve or special option, we already know he has potential.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I like Givens, but it appears that his route tree will always be extremely limited. I think he's a poor man's Desean Jackson or Mike Wallace - great on go routes, speed to beat guys deep, mediocre hands, but can make a splash play or two a game to get himself on SportsCenter in an offense with multiple options. Don't run particularly complex routes.

If Britt, Quick, Austin, Cook, Kendricks et al are pulling coverage towards them, Givens is the kind of guy who can seriously exploit single outside coverage. Especially if the run game has softened up the D and has the safeties trending towards the LOS.

Then again, it's possible that Quick, Britt, Austin and Cook could be the guy to exploit single coverage, but with the ability to do more. Who knows how Schott will use these guys.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Givens will have a place for us in the final 53, he'll thrive when the running game keeps moving the chains, letting the safeties stack the box while he burns a tired CB.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't care for his style in returning kick offs. Instead of pushing the ball upfield at full speed, he seems to slow down and wait for some kind of opening. I just don't think he has the lateral moves or speed to play it that way.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I like Givens, but it appears that his route tree will always be extremely limited. I think he's a poor man's Desean Jackson or Mike Wallace - great on go routes, speed to beat guys deep, mediocre hands, but can make a splash play or two a game to get himself on SportsCenter in an offense with multiple options. Don't run particularly complex routes.

He reminds me of Donnie Avery, only a bit faster.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He reminds me of Donnie Avery, only a bit faster.
Good comp, but Avery ran a 4.27. Givens ran a 4.41. Avery was a legit track burner with absurd speed. And to that point, if Avery hadn't gotten hurt, I firmly believe that if he hadn't gotten his knee ripped up in the preseason he would have put up a thousand yards in 2010, seeing how he and Bradford were clicking. Him on the outside, Amendola in the slot, Brandon Gibson on the other side - that's not a bad WR lineup.

fancents86

Starter
I think we'll find out where he stands by week 6. I think it's a little premature to put Quick ahead of Givens just bc he has been good in practice. him and Quick will both have their chances to prove their worth while Bailey is out. Only time will tell.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I think we'll find out where he stands by week 6. I think it's a little premature to put Quick ahead of Givens just bc he has been good in practice. him and Quick will both have their chances to prove their worth while Bailey is out. Only time will tell.
Agreed. I hope that Quick makes Givens irrelevant, because Quick has more physical tools and a fully-engaged Quick is probably a better overall WR than a fully-engaged Givens. But there's a lot of "ifs" to be answered between now and Bailey coming back by both.

ausmurp

Starter
He was never very good to begin with. The entirety of his success are the result of 5 plays his rookie season. 5 plays where they surprised the Defense. Givens was able to take advantage f his speed. Since the his desire has been sorely in question.

This isn't true. Givens had a very good rookie season all around, not just five plays. In the game he played against the Niners his rookie season he had like 7 catches for 93 yds.

He has the ability to be a Mike Wallace type of receiver but this game takes more intelligence than its given credit for. From what I get, Givens just isn't smart enough to learn, study, and beat a defense.

Lets hope Tavon doesn't have this same problem...

CoachO

Hall of Fame

The thing is, its not the posters on this forum who have made the decision to put Quick ahead of Givens. Its the coaching staff. In case you didn't notice, that was Chris Givens running with the 3rd offense in the 4th QUARTER of the first preseason game. And even though they weren't on the field much more than 2 series, it was Kenny Britt and Brian Quick who started the game. Much the same as they have been throughout training camp.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The thing is, its not the posters on this forum who have made the decision to put Quick ahead of Givens. Its the coaching staff. In case you didn't notice, that was Chris Givens running with the 3rd offense in the 4th QUARTER of the first preseason game. And even though they weren't on the field much more than 2 series, it was Kenny Britt and Brian Quick who started the game. Much the same as they have been throughout training camp.
The way you worded that about Givens reminded me of Salas was used in his last camp with the Rams. Not that that means anything.