The ghost of Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What has happened to Chris Givens?

He admitted earlier this year that the success of his rookie season "went to his head" and he didn't apply himself appropriately in the offseason for year two. But in that same piece, he said he worked harder this past offseason to prepare for this year.

By all accounts; his reps have diminished and he's moved down the depth chart. From training camp reports and as revealed in our first preseason game.

With his speed, you would think he'd still be able to bust open a play or two like he did in 2012. Where did that go?

Is this a case of lost confidence?

Has he lost a step?

Have teams just figured out how to play him?

Is he stubborn and failing in some fashion of honing his craft, such as beating the jam and/or going across the middle?

I truly believe he could be in danger of losing his roster spot... Or at the very least, the writing is on the wall he is in trouble.

Thoughts?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Wasn't that givens who drew the PI flag on the deep ball?

That may not show up on the stat sheet, but that is making a play.

Having said that - he is in a battle right now not just for playing time but to stay on this roster after week 5.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Watching him in this game ,I noticed he seems to have to take choppy steps to change direction instead of a plant and go, dunno if he's always been that way but on one KO return it jumped out at me how his speed is so straight line.

Athos

Legend
Possible we over inflated his actual abilities.

He's a 9 guy only it seems. Send him straight down the field.

When you know that, you can frustrate him with the press as he won't play you physical, won't go over the middle, and alligator arms it too much. He's very limited in what he can do.

Bailey, I think, is the split-end guy you want. Givens has trouble finding the EZ. Bailey doesn't.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's probably never going to be a complete receiver, but he's great as a deep threat. There is no reason we should have to get rid of him, and he works cheap.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right now I'm falling for Austin Franklin, but next week I'm sure it will be somebody else.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
There were a couple of nice catches from the guys on the bottom Fri. Are they passing him up?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Needs to keep working his craft....But I never thought he had those great hands, and he needs to go across the middle....All that speed. Reminds me of the old days with guys that could really jump in basketball, no real game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's probably never going to be a complete receiver, but he's great as a deep threat. There is no reason we should have to get rid of him, and he works cheap.

I see him as a great situational deep threat... When I think back to 2012. Since then, he's lost his mojo.

Maybe all that's missing from his game is Sam Bradford's big arm?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Givens could be a good deep threat and kick returner.
There's little doubt he can take the top off of a defense. Like Thor, I also didn't see the good change of direction returning kicks Friday. Maybe he can do it.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
With Brits arrival, someone has to drop down the chart.. I always thought it'd be petits though, not givens

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think he's showing why he was a 4th round pick. He has limitations to his game. Pretty much one dimensional. Makes him easier to defend.

Bailey could turn out to be a 3rd round steal. Mighta been overshadowed by Austin in college. He looks like a legit NFL receiver. Good hands, good route runner. Knows how get open and find the ball. Might end up accomplishing more than Austin in his career.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Our second year guys bailey and tavon plus quick emerging plus britt have pushed givens and pettis back to where they probably belonged in the first place-4th and fifth situational guys. They still have value but will spend their careers struggling to make rosters.'

reggae

He was never very good to begin with. The entirety of his success are the result of 5 plays his rookie season. 5 plays where they surprised the Defense. Givens was able to take advantage f his speed. Since the his desire has been sorely in question.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
What has happened to Chris Givens?

He admitted earlier this year that the success of his rookie season "went to his head" and he didn't apply himself appropriately in the offseason for year two. But in that same piece, he said he worked harder this past offseason to prepare for this year.

By all accounts; his reps have diminished and he's moved down the depth chart. From training camp reports and as revealed in our first preseason game.

With his speed, you would think he'd still be able to bust open a play or two like he did in 2012. Where did that go?

Is this a case of lost confidence?

Has he lost a step?

Have teams just figured out how to play him?

Is he stubborn and failing in some fashion of honing his craft, such as beating the jam and/or going across the middle?

I truly believe he could be in danger of losing his roster spot... Or at the very least, the writing is on the wall he is in trouble.

Thoughts?
Agree 100%. Personally think he's gone when Bailey returns, short of a miraculous turnaround.

Speaking of Bailey...SB to SB = SB. :cheers:

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
I always saw Givens as more of a slot receiver and thought that he was misused as a split end. Plenty of post, seam and corner routes in a play action passing attack if he stays on the roster. I'm all for top-grading if that proves out.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think the dude is just a one trick pony and unfortunately his trick isn't all that impressive. 2012 was a good year for him, but he had Amendola and Gibson to draw coverage on the intermediate routes. Last year, in all honesty there wasn't much else for defenses to cue on outside of Stacy. Speed is the one thing I think this receiving corps has plenty of, and Givens hasn't done much to build upon that trait.

Agree 100%. Personally think he's gone when Bailey returns, short of a miraculous turnaround.

I think that's about right. Thought it may have been Pettis for a minute, but I think Pettis has more reliable hands and can make the occasional big 3rd down catch.