The Future of the Rams from 2014 and Beyond

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
There's been some interesting talk on Fisher and the coaching staff from ourselves and the media.

First of all I consider Fisher as an excellent head coach/team manager/roster builder with a defensive minded background. He built a helluva team with Snead with almost every position set with young aggressive talented players across the board BUT he doesnt like to interfere too much. He stated he doesn't interfere in OC play calling besides telling them when they have 4 downs. It causes strife if he dictates and he needs to protect a unified focused and motivated team to keep striving. Williams needs another year to perfect his defense and add a piece or two so he's fine. Schotty on the other hand as I've maybe bluntly stated in the past has not always been willing to stick to a smart game plan or make the best decisions to the strengths of his players. SO, rock and a hard place is that if Bradford comes back he needs stability and familiarity to make the Schotty system work one last time possibly. If its another failure or .500 finish with or without a healhty Bradford then IDK I'd be at a loss to what to do at multiple player positions and coaching staff positions. I have to believe next year is the year that things will have to start going our way and we make a playoff birth with Bradford on his feet WITH a solid Oline (draft and FA priorities people).

If all fails maybe we could pull Martz out of retirement and draft a number one QB the next season and do or die in 2016 :cheers:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am a Fisher fan. And... I like that we "have a vision" and plan under his leadership. Under Fisher I believe we'll be a continual contender.

I am not sold on Schotty, but do we once again start slow if we swap out the offense? It's risky. Also...It seems to be taking many of the players a while to learn this offense, is that the players or the OC? I dunno.

Ramathon

I am a Fisher fan. And... I like that we "have a vision" and plan under his leadership. Under Fisher I believe we'll be a continual contender.

I am not sold on Schotty, but do we once again start slow if we swap out the offense? It's risky. Also...It seems to be taking many of the players a while to learn this offense, is that the players or the OC? I dunno.

I sure as heck don't either. But I have heard it said that Schottenheimer's offense is complicated to learn. IF that's remotely accurate, I do find it disturbing as the combo of a complicated offense and the youngest team in the NFL doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

There are a couple aspects of the current O scheme I find puzzling.....

1) The seeming inability to effectively adjust the plan when the Rams' QB is constantly facing pressure. There just doesn't seem to be enough...designed rollouts, screen plays, or just quick developing plays of whatever flavor to counteract pressure.

2) Why not mix in some no huddle/up tempo plays? I'm not talking about playing a constant up tempo game, but mix it in a few times a game for a few plays here and there. IMO, there's no bigger advantage an O can gain than just keeping the opposing D guessing. THE worst thing a team can do is become predictable, and my impression is that the Rams O all too often is exactly that. Quite franky, I don't know why every team in the league doesn't use this concept to at least some degree.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

At the end of the year I will do a post on the coaching change I think (hope) we will see. It's obvious that Schottenheimer will be at the top of the list and I am hopeful Schotty ends up in college to give him an honorable way out. I do like QB Coach Frank Cignetti, but if they do bring in a new OC, he might want a QB coach with him. Add that maybe they should move on at WR coach from Ray Sherman just because IMO they should look at somebody younger.

I also could see them possibly bringing back Gregg's son Blake Williams, but that's just a thought I actually like the job that linebacker coach Frank Bush is doing. Really no changes on the defensive side, but it would be nice if Fisher could bring in a coordinator like Rod Chudzinski. Chud does understand the importance of running the football and has worked with defensive minded head coaches in his past, but the Rams would have to move quickly because I'm betting on Carolina looking to bring him back in 2015.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Barring unforeseen circumstances, if the Rams finish at 8-8 next year with a healthy Bradford, we may be looking at a wholesale change in the organization.

SierraRam

Recreational User
2015 could be the year we put it together because, thanks to Fisher, we're closer than we've been in 10 years. We have 2 (albeit, major) holes on the OL. And, of course, the QB situation (Sam) must be addressed. Other than that, we have a damn solid team. We are a productive off-season away from being a Super Bowl contender.

I do fear our whack-a-mole injury curse. Will we fix our final issues only to have another part of the team fall apart? I suffer from the same inherent pessimism common to most Ram fans. I do expect the worst, but that will make our success in 2015 even sweeter.

Big Unit

UDFA
It's so darned hard to get an entire team "seasoned" at the same time. A lot of Rams are hitting their respective strides right now; which is why I don't think we have time to train another raw quarterback. Upgrade the o-line if possible; hope the running backs continue to mature; hope Quick comes back healthy, and that Britt and Bailey continue steady; and stay the course with the defense. With that in place, I think Fisher's preferred method of tough defense and ball-control offense is the quickest way to the playoffs.

Whoever the QB is, I think they need to learn from Shaun Hill - don't be afraid to throw to a receiver, even if he's not open when you let the ball go. Can't take foolish chances, of course - but I've admired how Hill permits guys like Britt and Bailey to catch the ball in traffic. Have to play the percentages, but once you do that, can't be afraid to make a mistake.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At the end of the year I will do a post on the coaching change I think (hope) we will see. It's obvious that Schottenheimer will be at the top of the list and I am hopeful Schotty ends up in college to give him an honorable way out. I do like QB Coach Frank Cignetti, but if they do bring in a new OC, he might want a QB coach with him. Add that maybe they should move on at WR coach from Ray Sherman just because IMO they should look at somebody younger.

I also could see them possibly bringing back Gregg's son Blake Williams, but that's just a thought I actually like the job that linebacker coach Frank Bush is doing. Really no changes on the defensive side, but it would be nice if Fisher could bring in a coordinator like Rod Chudzinski. Chud does understand the importance of running the football and has worked with defensive minded head coaches in his past, but the Rams would have to move quickly because I'm betting on Carolina looking to bring him back in 2015.

I have a theory that Cignetti is underappreciated on this staff. Here goes so plz bear with me...

First, he has a strong history of production as OC, even when jumping from program to program and not under offensive genius type head coaches. That carries a lot of weight with myself.

Second, if you look at Davis' resurgence this preseason on, I suspect much of that was Cignetti's doing since Schotty undoubtedly has more interactions with the starter level QB i.e. Sam at that point. When Davis was thrown in to the job he played much better than I expected even if he did regress and struggle against the better defenses he faced in a grueling stretch. Fish mentioned what a great job Schotty had been doing with Davis, but again I think Cignetti's hand was there to a very great extent.

Third as you point out a new OC may want to bring in his own QB coach as often happens. So it sure would be nice if Fish would elevate Cignetti's responsibilities behind the scenes, to something like passing game coordinator and QB coach. See how he handles the added responsibility and whether this offense improves. I suspect it will, btw.

IMO Schotty going is a necessary thing, either way. As I have said before, I believe that if Fish goes all loyal with Schotty and keeps him around he will end up losing his job because the offense will yet again not be good enough. Which means my take is keeping Schotty will spell Fisher's firing after next season and another uninspired, mediocre season under a mediocre OC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Well the old saying is when you think everyone else is the problem it's you. I think that applies here.

We have not had one player come in related to the passing game and excel from day one. Even worse, we have had players that clearly excelled in previous seasons or during a game or two span that disappear thereafter. The Rams' electric weapon Tavon Austin, who still is focused on by defenses due to their fear that they'll be that game where Schotty gets him in space. Or Bailey, who obviously can be a starter but somehow it takes forever for our OC to install and utilize that piece and even then he'll probably disappear against the Raiders after just having an enormous game. Or Cook, who should be killing zones and LBs in coverage; I watch other OCs kill defenses with TEs that have half the talent that dude does.

Schotty is a bottom third of the league OC. I believe he really knows the X's and O's which explains the prestige he is held in with the coaching and owners circles, however he is not a great teacher and his players simply are not consistently prepared and ready to execute and play fast. And I pray that Fish is smart enough to see that through the haze of "But he lost his starting QB" logic.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a theory that Cignetti is underappreciated on this staff. Here goes so plz bear with me...

First, he has a strong history of production as OC, even when jumping from program to program and not under offensive genius type head coaches. That carries a lot of weight with myself.

Second, if you look at Davis' resurgence this preseason on, I suspect much of that was Cignetti's doing since Schotty undoubtedly has more interactions with the starter level QB i.e. Sam at that point. When Davis was thrown in to the job he played much better than I expected even if he did regress and struggle against the better defenses he faced in a grueling stretch. Fish mentioned what a great job Schotty had been doing with Davis, but again I think Cignetti's hand was there to a very great extent.

Third as you point out a new OC may want to bring in his own QB coach as often happens. So it sure would be nice if Fish would elevate Cignetti's responsibilities behind the scenes, to something like passing game coordinator and QB coach. See how he handles the added responsibility and whether this offense improves. I suspect it will, btw.

IMO Schotty going is a necessary thing, either way. As I have said before, I believe that if Fish goes all loyal with Schotty and keeps him around he will end up losing his job because the offense will yet again not be good enough. Which means my take is keeping Schotty will spell Fisher's firing after next season and another uninspired, mediocre season under a mediocre OC.
I agree but to an extent. I do think Fisher is kinda stuck on an OC change right now. I honestly dont know which is better, to keep him for when Sam's back next year for familiarity cus he was looking good the last games he actually played or change it on Sam if a knew guy came in. I would be in favor if it is someone that can really play to the QB's strengths and not be overcomplicated.

If Fisher decides to stick with Schotty one last year I wont blame him. BUT if things start going south I expect Fisher to step in and do something whatever that may be. As long as he takes action thats all I expect from the head coach. Then he moves on to someone else. But if he sits back again while Schotty runs another mediocre offense for 16 games then thats not a responsible head coach THEN we have a problem...

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Here's the deal. The Rams don't have a lot of good options at QB. There are few if any "franchise" quarterbacks in next year’s draft, and the ones that will be highly regarded will be long gone by the time the Rams make their first selection. Now how many really good quarterbacks become available in free agency these days, only two recently, Peyton Manning and Bret Favre. Only very special circumstances allowed those two to happen, namely Andrew Luck and Aaron Rogers. So the FA route to a very good QB doesn't look too good either.

Besides we already have our "franchise" guy in Sam Bradford. Sam will be the starting quarterback on someone's team next year. The question will it be the Rams or someone else. I think the Rams situation is similar to what the Colt's faced in 2012. They had an injured guy that might not play anymore, luckily for them Andrew Luck was available to them, and do you think that they would have cut Manning without the Luck option, of course not. Now Sam is not Peyton Manning, not even close yet, but he's still far better than the other options, and he is currently signed to this team. My guess is that the Rams may want him to take a pay cut or restructure his contract, which he might do, but if he doesn't they will keep him on his current contract. They have already factored that cost in two next year’s cap.

So here's the plan. Keep Sam and draft a developmental guy in the first few rounds. Let him study and learn behind Sam next year. If Sam stays healthy and successful, then we have a young quality backup or future quality guy to trade. If Sam gets snake bit one more time again let him step in.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Wow, I have not thought of promoting Cignetti thus in part then keeping Schotty. I concur that Schottenheimer could be Fisher's Larry Marmie, but I actually think that Fisher might decide to go in another direction, you have to as a Head Coach do what's best.

But I concur with your analysis on Cignetti and I would not be opposed to Cignetti being offensive coordinator, but I could Fisher see promoting him and keeping Schotty and spinning it to have Schottenheimer focus more on what he does best, which is his scripted plays, but after that, Schottenheimer cannot adjust.

moklerman

Warner-phile

Makes it hard to understand when a guy like Chip Kelly can come in and have success right away. At some point, good coaching makes a positive difference while bad coaching just doesn't consistently produce.

Schottenheimer seems to have to rely on the stars being aligned for him to have success. That isn't a good scheme or good coaching IMO.