The future of the offensive line.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
As of right now, I know our right tackle is Joe Barksdale. Outside of that?

Alan

Legend
I haven't the faintest clue what it would cost us to re-sign either of them. They've both had their fair share of starts so there's that. On the other hand they haven't played all that well. Decent backups. Although Bonifay seems to think Shelly is better and I'll trust his judgement on that. Problem is, the Rams seem to think Williams is better. I can't tell which one I dislike the most. The other problem is, can we get anything better in FA with limited funds available?

Of course we'll keep Jones and Barnes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I wonder if they''ll keep both Williams and Shelly?
I can't see them keeping Williams he isn't even a decent emergency plug in. Smith could be ok as an emergency but there is no way he should be a starter on this team we have seen plenty of him to know he can't get it done.

Long Jones Barnes Saffold Barksdale

Presuming Long can make it back before the start of next year. They still need to draft someone to step in within the next two years to replace Long.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Williams and Shelley played pretty poorly today. They're depth guys at best.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
What's really the chances that Saffold stays? Like everyone else I thought he played well as a guard, but he was not great at tackle and someone might throw stupid money at him.

Alan

Legend
blackbart with his take:
I can't see them keeping Williams he isn't even a decent emergency plug in. Smith could be ok as an emergency but there is no way he should be a starter on this team we have seen plenty of him to know he can't get it done.

Long Jones Barnes Saffold Barksdale

Presuming Long can make it back before the start of next year. They still need to draft someone to step in within the next two years to replace Long.

I think we're gonna need much more than just someone to groom as Longs replacement. Jones can't even beat out Willims or Shelly for a job at guard and he's only our third string center. While I have hopes for him I've and more importantly the Rams, haven't seen anything yet.

I believe that we need an OT, an OG and I wouldn't mind another OT.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Saffold might be in the top 5 for FA tackles this year. Snead and Fisher will have to sell him on playing guard but he has shown he is better there and less likely to be hurt. I don't see anyone throwing crazy money at him this off season with his injury history and if he has another concussion after today's game it is even less likely.

duckhunter

Starter
Then you have many believing that Wells and Dahl are cut for cap space. Williams and Saffold are UFA.

So our 2014 OL roster with the proposed cuts and FA starts with Long probably IRR, Barksdale RFA, Barnes RFA, and Jones.

Hard to build continuity when you turn the squad over by 50% each year.

But WTF do I know.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then you have many believing that Wells and Dahl are cut for cap space. Williams and Saffold are UFA.

So our 2014 OL roster with the proposed cuts and FA starts with Long probably IRR, Barksdale RFA, Barnes RFA, and Jones.

Hard to build continuity when you turn the squad over by 50% each year.

But WTF do I know.

I thought Joe was under contract for another year?

duckhunter

Starter
I thought Joe was under contract for another year?

He is but it's his final year of his original contract. Then he is Unrestricted.

I didn't mention Shelley Smith who is UFA.

The point of my post was to see who we had on board to begin and see where our holes are. Long and Jones are the only guys signed through 2015 if we cut Dhal and Wells. It looks like a major remake of the squad. I'd like to see them do considerably more than add a 4th or 5th rounder to the OLine like they have the last two drafts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I haven't the faintest clue what it would cost us to re-sign either of them. They've both had their fair share of starts so there's that. On the other hand they haven't played all that well. Decent backups. Although Bonifay seems to think Shelly is better and I'll trust his judgement on that. Problem is, the Rams seem to think Williams is better. I can't tell which one I dislike the most. The other problem is, can we get anything better in FA with limited funds available? Of course we'll keep Jones and Barnes.

After yesterdays overall poor OL performance I may have to reevaluate all of them once again. The unit as a whole got a FAIL grade! Chris Williams was totally owned by the interior DL and Shelley Smith was no peach himself. Tim Barnes has his worse game but compared to the rest he may have done no worse. Saffold held up enough in the pass rush but he got no push in the running game....that sure let the NFL world know & evidence that Saffold is a much better OG than OT in my book. Barksdale??? not much happened good and the flip side certainly nothing happened all that bad.

Early conclusion is Jake Long is one hell of a run blocking OLT until his blown out right knee happened and Saffold is a dynamic power blocking OG! both were missed greatly yesterday in our OL. If NFL teams want to sign Saffold big $$$ to play OT they will be disappointed. We did see why Boudreau likes to keep CW around he ended up playing OLT after Saffold was taken to the locker room injured. Alan in truth neither Shelley nor Chris should be considered your lead candidate in your OL as starters very bad ideal. They are what they are good reserves that can play many OL positions. Trouble comes like in what we saw yesterday when you are forced to start them. You have to have OL'ers like them to make it through a Ram season because Rams always have hurt starting OL'er year in year out. I do think that Shelley generally grades out better than Chris but Chris has the better worth due to the fact he has started in the NFL @ both OT positions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wells and Dahl feel like goners to me.

And... We need to upgrade Williams and Shelly Smith... And need a guy who can play tackle as a back-up. This assumes JLong is ready week 1.

That's a lot of holes!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wells and Dahl feel like goners to me.

And... We need to upgrade Williams and Shelly Smith... And need a guy who can play tackle as a back-up. This assumes JLong is ready week 1.That's a lot of holes!

Yes Sir that's a very large cadre of OL HOLEs! I sure have no issues cutting ties with both Harvey & Scott's contracts ASAP! Please thrown in CF too. Shelley is younger and is getting stronger but since he is a RFA he can be gotten rather cheap for under 1 million. As you can see Chris will demand closer up to 2 mil...I would just pass on Chris again due to that and go younger in the draft. Brandon Washington got the call over Harvey Dahl tells us that Harvey is on his way out!

duckhunter

Starter
Yes Sir that's a very large cadre of OL HOLEs! I sure have no issues cutting ties with both Harvey & Scott's contracts ASAP! Please thrown in CF too. Shelley is younger and is getting stronger but since he is a RFA he can be gotten rather cheap for under 1 million. As you can see Chris will demand closer up to 2 mil...I would just pass on Chris again due to that and go younger in the draft. Brandon Washington got the call over Harvey Dahl tells us that Harvey is on his way out!

Heck. Ole Chabram had these conversations with us over the last decade. I guess, you and I, may be the few that remember it.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam mirroring my thoughts exactly:
After yesterdays overall poor OL performance I may have to reevaluate all of them once again. The unit as a whole got a FAIL grade! Chris Williams was totally owned by the interior DL and Shelley Smith was no peach himself. Tim Barnes has his worse game but compared to the rest he may have done no worse. Saffold held up enough in the pass rush but he got no push in the running game....that sure let the NFL world know & evidence that Saffold is a much better OG than OT in my book. Barksdale??? not much happened good and the flip side certainly nothing happened all that bad.

Early conclusion is Jake Long is one hell of a run blocking OLT until his blown out right knee happened and Saffold is a dynamic power blocking OG! both were missed greatly yesterday in our OL. If NFL teams want to sign Saffold big $$$ to play OT they will be disappointed. We did see why Boudreau likes to keep CW around he ended up playing OLT after Saffold was taken to the locker room injured. Alan in truth neither Shelley nor Chris should be considered your lead candidate in your OL as starters very bad ideal. They are what they are good reserves that can play many OL positions. Trouble comes like in what we saw yesterday when you are forced to start them. You have to have OL'ers like them to make it through a Ram season because Rams always have hurt starting OL'er year in year out. I do think that Shelley generally grades out better than Chris but Chris has the better worth due to the fact he has started in the NFL @ both OT positions.

I have to say that it's pretty scary that our thoughts match so closely about this. :lol:

I'm still left with the same dilemma. Should we keep both of these guys for backup purposes? Just one of them? If so, which one?

Our O-line seems to be in complete shambles (as many have noted). The only player we can count on is Barksdale (although Barnes seems acceptable) and that my friend, is really scary. :omg:

duckhunter

Starter
I have to say that it's pretty scary that our thoughts match so closely about this. :lol:

I'm still left with the same dilemma. Should we keep both of these guys for backup purposes? Just one of them? If so, which one?

Our O-line seems to be in complete shambles (as many have noted). The only player we can count on is Barksdale (although Barnes seems acceptable) and that my friend, is really scary. :omg:

One could easily make the case the OLine cubbard is bare for the start of next season. I don't blame Bou. We need an infusion of top shelf talent. The draft is the only way we can get enough parts for a nearly complete overhaul.