The Fisher extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I have always backed fisher because I think they have built a great team. However I don't agree with an extension, give him next year as his make or break season . By week 1 next season there will be 0 excuses. I want results next year and I don't think bringing in a new coach will make us any better than having fisher.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
How is the Ram defense (usually) able to perform at a level worthy of a playoff team if the move to LA was so debilitating to all involved?

Furthermore, the move has not hindered another season long display of Hekker's first team all pro punting or Z's rebound from a sub par year.

Finally, aren't all the Ram's special team coverage units ranked in the top 10?

It is time to stop looking for excuses and instead insist on accountabilty.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is the Ram defense (usually) able to perform at a level worthy of a playoff team if the move to LA was so debilitating to all involved?

Furthermore, the move has not hindered another season long display of Hekker's first team all pro punting or Z's rebound from a sub par year.

No doubt
No mention of it at 3-1. No mention of it while Keenum was having his career game vs Detroit
No mention of it when the Rams had a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go against the Dolphins
To top it off, the results are remarkably consistent with the entire 5 year span

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have always backed fisher because I think they have built a great team. However I don't agree with an extension, give him next year as his make or break season . By week 1 next season there will be 0 excuses. I want results next year and I don't think bringing in a new coach will make us any better than having fisher.
Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!:mrburns:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know what's more funny the idea of watching the implosions that will happen on ROD or the idea that there would be some kind of mandate to Fisher.

Where's my popcorn

FRO

Legend
Another thing to consider is the Rams have been pretty healthy this year. I mean the Vikings are on their back up offense. There are big injuries around the league and for the most part, particularly on offense the Rams have been operating at fully capacity. That means either the players Fisher/Snead picked are horrible or Fisher and coaching staff can't coach the offensive talent. So extending both the coach and the guy who adds the talent seems odd to me. If you say Fisher is a good coach, then you strip him of personnel privileges and get a better GM. If you say the players are good, then you get rid of Fisher and get someone who can coach. Plain and simple. Having the worst offense in the league isn't due to moving the team. They would have been bad in St Louis.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Extension? I don't worry about things I can't control. If they give him the extension, I will root my butt off for him. If they don't, I'll root my butt off for his replacement. At this point in time, it doesn't even interest me. What interests me is this. #14, #27, #7, #32 and #1. Those are he defensive rankings for our last 5 opponents. I am anxious to see how Jared Goff performs against those teams. If he does well, I will be anticipating the off season flying by and then I'll wonder about who our head coach is going forward. Is Fisher's dismissal a foregone conclusion? Does it still hang in the balance? Is an extension on the horizon? What difference does it make if Jared Goff deftly slings the ball around with precision?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bringing him back next year would necessarily mean an extension - his contract is up this year. They either sign a new contract w him this offseason or they sign a new coach. There aren't any other choices.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am going to bet that it is going to be a three year extension, with the understanding that a high caliber offensive coordinator must be brought on who can assemble a staff including a QB coach. Also, that three year contract doesn't mean squat if he doesn't have a winning season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am going to bet that it is going to be a three year extension, with the understanding that a high caliber offensive coordinator must be brought on who can assemble a staff including a QB coach. Also, that three year contract doesn't mean squat if he doesn't have a winning season.

That could very well happen and I would hope it would be Mike Shanahan, but most likely going to be Norv Turner IMO and Turner will be able to hire a QB Coach, hopefully, not his son Scott and I believe they will let OL Coach Paul Boudreau go, however, keep Rob Boras and make him the Offensive Line Coach and Mike Grohl will stay on as WR Coach.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Exactly. The whole move excuse doesn't apply because it clearly hasn't affected defense or special teams. Are we supposed to believe that it somehow affected the offense only?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@FRO has made 2 great points regarding this that make this idea unsettling
1) What high caliber OC wants to work for a HC who is virtually lame duck
2) What good is bringing in a new OC that may be gone in a year if the team doesn't succeed and the Rams clean house?
Of course my thought is #3, is by keeping Fisher out of the offense, while Williams runs the D and Fassel the ST, what do we need Fisher for?

FRO

Legend
@FRO has made 2 great points regarding this that make this idea unsettling
1) What high caliber OC wants to work for a HC who is virtually lame duck
2) What good is bringing in a new OC that may be gone in a year if the team doesn't succeed and the Rams clean house?
Of course my thought is #3, is by keeping Fisher out of the offense, while Williams runs the D and Fassel the ST, what do we need Fisher for?
Great point on number 3. If the Rams feel Fisher has done a great job of adding talent, and on defense he clearly has, then why not promote him to president of football operations and hire Kyle Shanahan as HC? If you look at Fisher's entire career, he just isn't a successful HC. Year 6 won't be any different than years 1-5.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Bringing him back next year would necessarily mean an extension - his contract is up this year. They either sign a new contract w him this offseason or they sign a new coach. There aren't any other choices.
1 year extension, make or break season for him but I am sure he will get a long extension then get fired next year if they suck, just the rams way lol

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Extension? I don't worry about things I can't control. If they give him the extension, I will root my butt off for him. If they don't, I'll root my butt off for his replacement. At this point in time, it doesn't even interest me. What interests me is this. #14, #27, #7, #32 and #1. Those are he defensive rankings for our last 5 opponents. I am anxious to see how Jared Goff performs against those teams. If he does well, I will be anticipating the off season flying by and then I'll wonder about who our head coach is going forward. Is Fisher's dismissal a foregone conclusion? Does it still hang in the balance? Is an extension on the horizon? What difference does it make if Jared Goff deftly slings the ball around with precision?

Great post

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1 year extension, make or break season for him but I am sure he will get a long extension then get fired next year if they suck, just the rams way lol
Cant sign him to a 1 year extension, that puts him in lame duck status again like this year.
It was a mistake not getting an obligatory 1 or 2 year deal done before this season. Cant make that mistake again

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Cant sign him to a 1 year extension, that puts him in lame duck status again like this year.
It was a mistake not getting an obligatory 1 or 2 year deal done before this season. Cant make that mistake again
It was a big mistake hiring him in the first place, and a bigger mistake not canning him last year.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
What good coordinator wants to step into this dumpster fire? Nobody with a lick of sense wants to take a job with a head coach on the hot seat.

If Fisher replaces a lot of his offensive coaching staff, at bare minimum Boras, I'll be ok with it. There can be no debating that the play calling has been atrocious this season most of the time. Boras has called a few good halfs such as the first half of the Detroit game. But in large it's usually bland as can be and highly, no, ungodly predictable.

New play caller with some innovation is the only way I accept Fisher being here another year. But I've been saying that at the end of every season he's been here so I'm not holding my breath.