The Fisher extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If Fisher has to be forced to update the offense and completely be hands off, what do we need him for again? I don't want my team's HC to have to be forced to make moves to find success. The good and great coaches have a clear defined plan.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And it sounds really familiar...(see Bradford) to me....;)
I think injuries affected Bradford more than coordinators. It probably didn't help but I don't think it hurt him as much as people want to attribute.

I for one am not quite as disappointed as other on this board and I am sure Stan and Demoff have taken a lot more into their calculations than win/loss as they should.
I am very disappointed in how we've played for most of the season but I still find your statement to ring true.

I just dont see Fisher ever getting this right. If he does get extended I hope to hell were all wrong and make the playoffs next season and see a more exciting offense. I would gladly eat crow if Fisher got us into the playoffs next season.
I would gladly prepare a very nice crow dinner for you if that takes place. And even though I see a lot of contention in the Fisher debate, I think most of us would want a seat at the table. Cheers.

Q729

Legend
Possibly, but if Fisher retains control of the offense and the offense isn't killing it, would you want that coordinator to be the next HC?
That's the key. This hypothetical OC needs to be granted full reign, as well as the future job. He could always get fired if he doesn't perform then, but I guess if the guy is not confident in his abilities to accept those terms, then we don't want him to begin with!

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That's the key. This hypothetical OC needs to be granted full reign, as well as the future job. He could always get fired if he doesn't perform then, but I guess if the guy is not confident in his abilities to accept those terms, then we don't want him to begin with!

I wonder why no one makes excuses or talks about continuity when it comes to oc or dc after all we have had 3 of each in 5 years

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you promise the HC job?
If the oc comes in and builds an effective offense, the Rams will win games and likely make the playoffs. Where Fisher keeps the HC job. If the offense flounders (again) fisher is gone and likely so is the oc.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
How did the move cause the O-Line and running scheme to regress? Was it the pilots? The luggage? The airports? The hours at 30,000 feet? Not sure, but I think the the regression has more to do with coaching than moving. And I also think that if this offense were capable of letting Gurley get 100 yards in several games there would be many more games in the W column. And I don't think that Gurley getting 100 yards or close to that on average is unrealistic behind an average or good O-Line, whether that O-Line has moved across the country or not.

Well I guess the fact that their training facility moved three times in the off season and that every family had to move and enjoy all the duties involved in moving. (This means almost every employee and player so please consider all this entails). New neighbor hoods, new distractions!

Then we take 31 other professional teams that have a nice normal smooth off season and you can't figure out that all the additional stresses involved in relocating the Rams to LA has taken its toll on this team? Remember this wasn't a winning team in St Louis either but your under the expectation that this team should be.... playoff bound?

Look I get everyone is disappointed and I am as well. I guess I can see many reasons this season was going to be rough. Saying this is all just coaching is really being very nearsighted IMHO. I love the passion of the fans here because I know I'm not the only one who's killed inside when the Rams lose or play bad but sometime you need to see the white of their eyes before you fire (Fisher). I personally think he deserves another year after all the work he has done to get this team to LA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I guess the fact that their training facility moved three times in the off season and that every family had to move and enjoy all the duties involved in moving. (This means almost every employee and player so please consider all this entails). New neighbor hoods, new distractions!

Then we take 31 other professional teams that have a nice normal smooth off season and you can't figure out that all the additional stresses involved in relocating the Rams to LA has taken its toll on this team? Remember this wasn't a winning team in St Louis either but your under the expectation that this team should be.... playoff bound?

Look I get everyone is disappointed and I am as well. I guess I can see many reasons this season was going to be rough. Saying this is all just coaching is really being very nearsighted IMHO. I love the passion of the fans here because I know I'm not the only one who's killed inside when the Rams lose or play bad but sometime you need to see the white of their eyes before you fire (Fisher). I personally think he deserves another year after all the work he has done to get this team to LA.
I don't know if he deserves an extension or not. But nicely put.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I wonder why no one makes excuses or talks about continuity when it comes to oc or dc after all we have had 3 of each in 5 years

Because they ran the same O and D. Nothing changed except play calling

Q729

Legend
I've seen plenty of people talk about continuity, especially when talking about why Bradford never worked out.
How do you promise the HC job?
If the oc comes in and builds an effective offense, the Rams will win games and likely make the playoffs. Where Fisher keeps the HC job. If the offense flounders (again) fisher is gone and likely so is the oc.
I don't know. I'm just trying to come up with a reason why a good OC would want to come here. But what I was saying was making the OC the heir apparent once Fisher rides off into the sunset after we all had our successful run. I mean the point is to entice the innovative OC to come here in the first place to work his magic. Doesn't matter if he fails. He's fired and you move on. Just like cutting your losses on a high-priced free agent who ended up being a lazy garbage player.

Bruce2980

Starter

So that explains why I forgot how to do my job when I moved from Colo. Spgs. to Phoenix.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. I'm just trying to come up with a reason why a good OC would want to come here. But what I was saying was making the OC the heir apparent once Fisher rides off into the sunset after we all had our successful run. I mean the point is to entice the innovative OC to come here in the first place to work his magic.
But the problem is that if the OC "works his magic", Fisher wont be going anywhere. That's the dilemma, how to entice a guy to come to a situation that may be only a 1 year stop

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

These sound like excuses to me. What about the other four years? These aren't new problems. They're the same exact problems that happen every year with Fisher. Blaming the move is simply deflecting blame away from the one constant.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
What about players that get traded MID-SEASON? They have to uproot themselves and their families and deal with distractions and moving as well. You never trade for a guy and say, "Well, he probably isn't going to do much for us THIS year, because of the distractions and the move, but NEXT year, he should provide value."

Once you are on the field, all those distractions SHOULD go away and it's just football. As Bruce2890 above stated... people get transferred and moved around at THEIR jobs all the time. They don't get a cooling off period to adjust to their new environment. Work is work.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
These sound like excuses to me. What about the other four years? These aren't new problems. They're the same exact problems that happen every year with Fisher. Blaming the move is simply deflecting blame away from the one constant.

They weren't talking about how hard the move was when they were 3-1. I also distinctly remember Fisher saying the other 31 clubs don't care about the move and they won't use it as an excuse before the year. I hope it's all PR speak and we get some new blood in Jan!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Fisher gets fired...
giphy.gif

Ellard80

Legend
First off this team was bereft of talent and an unappealing landing spot for FA. This was exacerbated by the looming possibility of moving and having to relocate which effects all staff associated with the organization. Lack of a stable QB position which was a concern from the start, but remember that Fisher said he chose the Rams because of Bradford:)dizzy:). I know some of this was known but once the intention to relocate was made public and approved everyone should have known it would have a negative effect on the product on the field. If you look at the Oilers/Titans relocation you will see that they went 7-9/8-8 for the two years before and after the relocation before making a run at the SB. People in LA should understand more than anyone else about all the distractions in the Rams new homeland. Now I am not saying Fisher is the best thing since sliced bread but I do believe he deserves another year since he was brought in for the relocation/rebuilding of this team. They just drafted a franchise QB and are a much more talented team from when Fisher was hired so I am patient enough to wait another year. I know I am in the minority but I know we all want the same outcome in the end, winning and Fisher isn't yet. :hiding:

That all makes sense... but his record has been nearly the same for the past 5 years.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Firing a coach before the season is over would be setting a bad precedent. You don't want to become the next version of the Browns.

Saying a coach won't be back next season, before the current season is over, is essentially the same as firing him the day you make the announcement.