The Fisher extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
This is odd.

Usually, to avoid the appearence of lame duckery, ownership that wishes to retain the HC announces an extension prior to the start of the final contract year.

That move would also help attact, and keep, top flight assistant coaches. Something we are in dire need of on the offensive side.

I have doubts that any extention has been offered, much less agreed to.

The team's performance in these last five games probably seals Fisher's fate and if he is retained it is only with a Vermil-like ultimatum to hand the offense to a proven and innovative OC.

FRO

Legend
The question is what innovated offensive coordinator would want to move their family to coach under a lame duck HC? I know there are only 32 OC jobs to be had, but you will be coaching for a guy who wants to win with his defense. Gregg Williams didn't get along with Al Saunders in Washington because he felt he scored too fast. Fisherball is all about conservative ball control. Not too many innovative OCs want to play that style.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
If Fisher replaces a lot of his offensive coaching staff
With a actual qualified OC and a promise to let the OC to do his job without meddling.
The further Fisher is away from the offense,the better this team will be.
What's puzzling is, How as a head coach can you not realize this after so many years
of bad offense.If he wants to meddle,stick to what he understands,Defense.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Next season Fisher hires David Shaw as OC with the promise that he will be the HC when Fisher moves to his front office gig.
In the name of everything Holy on this earth and for the love pete.
I hope you're right.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question is what innovated offensive coordinator would want to move their family to coach under a lame duck HC? I know there are only 32 OC jobs to be had, but you will be coaching for a guy who wants to win with his defense. Gregg Williams didn't get along with Al Saunders in Washington because he felt he scored too fast. Fisherball is all about conservative ball control. Not too many innovative OCs want to play that style.
You really are on the money pertaining to this topic
Its a great question, and I thought was one of the reasons we kept Boras this year, over the lame duck issue

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

I do not know. With the end of the year HC axing ritual coming up soon maybe some good ones will be available.

I'd be happy to bring Martz in and perhaps he would be willing to give it a shot in this most curious of situations.

No proven OC would leave a comfortable position to enter into the uncertain and increasingly bizzare world of Fisherball.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Can you please explain what you mean by this?

First off this team was bereft of talent and an unappealing landing spot for FA. This was exacerbated by the looming possibility of moving and having to relocate which effects all staff associated with the organization. Lack of a stable QB position which was a concern from the start, but remember that Fisher said he chose the Rams because of Bradford:)dizzy:). I know some of this was known but once the intention to relocate was made public and approved everyone should have known it would have a negative effect on the product on the field. If you look at the Oilers/Titans relocation you will see that they went 7-9/8-8 for the two years before and after the relocation before making a run at the SB. People in LA should understand more than anyone else about all the distractions in the Rams new homeland. Now I am not saying Fisher is the best thing since sliced bread but I do believe he deserves another year since he was brought in for the relocation/rebuilding of this team. They just drafted a franchise QB and are a much more talented team from when Fisher was hired so I am patient enough to wait another year. I know I am in the minority but I know we all want the same outcome in the end, winning and Fisher isn't yet. :hiding:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
roflbot.jpg

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
If Fisher is back next year im definitely not buying Sunday Ticket. Ofc I say that now but knowing me i'll give in once again so I can see Goff and gang *sigh*. I just dont see Fisher ever getting this right. If he does get extended I hope to hell were all wrong and make the playoffs next season and see a more exciting offense. I would gladly eat crow if Fisher got us into the playoffs next season. Its gonna take Fisher to finally give in and hire a good OC who can run our offense w.o a tight leash on him. I just dont know if Fisher will do that though. I mean why would he change after 20+ years?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'm really getting fed up with the amount of click bait that the media posts. At no point has Demoff or Kroenke stated that the Rams have tendered Jeff Fisher to stay on board in 2017.

They've only stated that Fisher has performed well with the many obstacles and distractions surrounding the team. For the media to translate that into Fisher is signing a tender for 2017 is some 7-9 bulls***.

FRO

Legend
I do not know. With the end of the year HC axing ritual coming up soon maybe some good ones will be available.

I'd be happy to bring Martz in and perhaps he would be willing to give it a shot in this most curious of situations.

No proven OC would leave a comfortable position to enter into the uncertain and increasingly bizzare world of Fisherball.
Martz wouldn't fit the mold. His offenses don't try and win the time of possession. They try and score early and often. They don't care about turnovers. They play aggressive. Fisher will never go for that.

Bruce2980

Starter
I for one am not quite as disappointed as other on this board and I am sure Stan and Demoff have taken a lot more into their calculations than win/loss as they should. I get that the Rams need a quality product on the field but, with all of the movement within the organization, I don't think most really had the expectation that the Rams would be a playoff caliber team especially in the NFC West this year.

I for my part am going to enjoy watching Goff grow the rest of the season and hope for a playoff run next year. This team is as close to being a competitive team as the Rams have had in a decade (?) and, as a glass half full kind of guy, I'm excited for the future. I too think Fisher deserves another year. I know that is not a popular stance but if you are a L.A. Rams fan and realized what a bad spot the Rams were in during their last years in St Louis then giving Fisher some leeway should be understandable. I know passions run high when you watch this team so far but please take the whole situation into account, to include the distractions/ect.. for the players and their families, when you calculate what the team as a whole has had to deal with during this transition.
How did the move cause the O-Line and running scheme to regress? Was it the pilots? The luggage? The airports? The hours at 30,000 feet? Not sure, but I think the the regression has more to do with coaching than moving. And I also think that if this offense were capable of letting Gurley get 100 yards in several games there would be many more games in the W column. And I don't think that Gurley getting 100 yards or close to that on average is unrealistic behind an average or good O-Line, whether that O-Line has moved across the country or not.

lockdnram21

Legend
The thing is what if Fisher has to relinquish full control to offense to offensive coordinator... That could be only way I see them keeping him around

FRO

Legend
The thing is what if Fisher has to relinquish full control to offense to offensive coordinator... That could be only way I see them keeping him around
I agree, but once the real games are played don't think for a second the HC is going to keep his hands off. People cite Martz/Vermiel, but Vermiel did control Martz a bit. The only person who I think Fisher could get and would be a scheme fit is Mike Shanahan. I think they are close and there isn't a whole lot of clamping for Mike. His scheme would fit both Goff and Gurley. That being said, when was the last time he called plays?

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree, but once the real games are played don't think for a second the HC is going to keep his hands off. People cite Martz/Vermiel, but Vermiel did control Martz a bit. The only person who I think Fisher could get and would be a scheme fit is Mike Shanahan. I think they are close and there isn't a whole lot of clamping for Mike. His scheme would fit both Goff and Gurley. That being said, when was the last time he called plays?
That is true... But they gotta tell him no more of the boring bull this isn't the 80s

Q729

Legend
Maybe the type of innovative offensive coordinator who'd be promised the headcoaching job when the lame duck HC leaves?

FRO

Legend
Maybe the type of innovative offensive coordinator who'd be promised the headcoaching job when the lame duck HC leaves?
Possibly, but if Fisher retains control of the offense and the offense isn't killing it, would you want that coordinator to be the next HC?