The Film Don't Lie: What the Rams Must Fix/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The Film Don't Lie: Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12385/the-film-dont-lie-rams-2

A weekly look at what the St. Louis Rams must fix:

It seems like a long time now, but it was only a couple of months ago when a team like the San Francisco 49ers would know that coming to St. Louis for "Monday Night Football" would mean a long night at the office for their offensive line. But when the Niners arrive in town to play the Rams, they'll see a defense that has failed to generate much of a pass rush.

Whether through more organic four-man rushes or the whimsical attempts of coordinator Gregg Williams to rev the pass rush, the Rams simply haven't been able to get home. Through four games, the Rams have sent five or more pass-rushers on 48.6 percent of opponent dropbacks. That's the highest percentage in the league, which would be fine if not for the fact that the Rams have managed just a single sack this season (fewest in the NFL). And that came from defensive tackle Aaron Donald, not from some exotic blitz package.

Despite all the blitzing, the Rams have managed to cause pressure on only 23.9 percent of opponent dropbacks, which is 20th in the NFL. Sure, opponents have taken steps to slow the Rams' pass rush by getting the ball out quickly (2.4 seconds per throw, seventh-fastest in the NFL), not throwing it downfield (6.87 air yards per attempt is third-fewest in the NFL) and simply not throwing it much at all (106 pass attempts against, fewest in the league).

But that wasn't necessarily the case in the Rams' 34-28 loss to Philadelphia. The Eagles attempted 37 passes, and quarterback Nick Foles was in the middle of the pack in terms of getting rid of the ball. Still, the Rams were unable to get to Foles for any sacks, their third such game this season.

San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been pressured on 28.3 percent of his dropbacks, which is eighth-most in the league. One way for the Rams to take advantage and add to those numbers would be to get more snaps for Donald. According to coaches' review of tape, Donald has four quarterback pressures and four quarterback hits. Starters Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers have combined for five quarterback pressures and one quarterback hit while playing more snaps.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
what people dont see is C Long and Quin always push the outside towards the QB then QB has to step up into brockers and langford that is what worked for us. our C Long subs are not doing that they are atking the inside track most of the time or getting stood up. this is our problem with the d line IMO

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CL is really important to the line and Robert Quinn. Can't wait til he gets back and Donald becomes a regular on the line

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
For Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson the Rams D must stay in their lanes, prevent them from running outside, and make them beat them with their arms. I don't see the sack total going up dramatically over the next few games. Besides, it's wins we need, not sacks.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Through four games, the Rams have sent five or more pass-rushers on 48.6 percent of opponent dropbacks. That's the highest percentage in the league, which would be fine if not for the fact that the Rams have managed just a single sack this season (fewest in the NFL)
icon_eek.gif

Brutal.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
If we can win just 1 more game I'd like it to be Monday night against those from the gay bay

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Apparently every team that we played has talked with other teams on our schedule and said let's see if we can hold #SackCity to no sacks. Especially for a GW defense this is offensive...

Penguin.

Rookie
Gay bay? You sir, are a douche.

Our sack total might go up if Colin runs into a defensive lineman on accident.

Athos

Legend
Anyone have an idea how many snaps Donald has been getting in games? I've been watching really crappy streams and it is hard to tell who is who inside the D-line.

If Donald is putting up that kind of production....Fisher maybe needs to start playing him more.

If opponents are getting the ball out quicker (screens, slants, etc) what's the best way to solve that? Man press? Drawing up TJ McDonald or Ogletree and laying the lumber as soon as RBs/WRs catch the ball?

For Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson the Rams D must stay in their lanes, prevent them from running outside, and make them beat them with their arms. I don't see the sack total going up dramatically over the next few games. Besides, it's wins we need, not sacks.

With the way the Rams have put on a clinic in sacking against the Hags, Whiners, and Cardinals the last two years, I'd be VERY WORRIED if our sack totals don't start piling up. We should chalk Williams up as a massive failure if he can't be pressure on those QBs with this kind of sack history:

Hags and Wilson: 19 sacks in 4 games
Whiners and Kaeperprick: 12 sacks in 4 games
Cardinals: 16 sacks in 4 games

That's 47 sacks in 12 games against divisional opponents the last 2 seasons for an average of nearly 4 sacks per game. No reason the sack totals shouldn't climb drastically after this 4 game set.

If it doesn't, one of two things, maybe both, need to happen: Williams needs to go and Fisher needs to take control of the defense or Fisher needs to bring hell on the officials for not calling holds on our D-line, especially Quinn. Even without Long, this D should be registering sacks.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It seems like a long time now, but it was only a couple of months ago when a team like the San Francisco 49ers would know that coming to St. Louis for "Monday Night Football" would mean a long night at the office for their offensive line. But when the Niners arrive in town to play the Rams, they'll see a defense that has failed to generate much of a pass rush.

Despite all the blitzing, the Rams have managed to cause pressure on only 23.9 percent of opponent dropbacks, which is 20th in the NFL. Sure, opponents have taken steps to slow the Rams' pass rush by getting the ball out quickly (2.4 seconds per throw, seventh-fastest in the NFL), not throwing it downfield (6.87 air yards per attempt is third-fewest in the NFL) and simply not throwing it much at all (106 pass attempts against, fewest in the league).
IF these two statements are True, then why, according to Fisher, on his Radio show, are the Rams Ranked #1 against the Pass ( Even though their 29th against the Run) and their getting enough pressure to the point QB's are having to pass off their back foot!

Athos

Legend
We are leading in total passing yards given up by 60 yards and given up 250 fewer than the Hags.

We're giving up a miserable 70.8% completion rate through the air though. Puts us at 28th with only Oakland and TB worse. And of course, still dead last in sacks.

And of course, bottom tier in run D. We're basically giving up 5 yards per attempt. You give up that many yards per attempt, you're going to lose games unless you're turning the ball over a lot or have a ridiculous offense, or both. Heck, the Jags are a better run D than us.

fearsomefour

Legend
On the blitzes it looks like the lineman are occupying lineman a lot.
Long and all his pressures....all his almost sacks ....are missed for sure.

Penguin.

Rookie
A whiner fan? I am a die hard Rams fan. I just don't stoop to the level of spouting ignorant, bashful statements about other professional football teams. Are you the type of person to wish injury onto the Ram's rivals or something?

A55VA6

Legend
This sounds weird, but I feel like we'd get to the QB more if we didn't rush 5 or 6 players to the QB. The QB gets the ball out quick and the WR's are beating 1v1's. This secondary makes mistake after mistake. Half the time I don't think Joyner even knows what the fuck he's doing and McLeod seems to never be on the same page with the CB's.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The sacks are coming. GW calls this defense so much more aggressively that the players just aren't in the comfort zone yet in executing it.

And I see more playing time coming for Donald of course, that's a no brainer. Probably Westbrooks too.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The irony of this article is that the original image used as a link was of Quinn and he was being held.

fearsomefour

Legend
A whiner fan? I am a die hard Rams fan. I just don't stoop to the level of spouting ignorant, bashful statements about other professional football teams. Are you the type of person to wish injury onto the Ram's rivals or something?
Naw, I dont wish anything as it changes nothing.
Have a sense of humor. It was referring to Kaperdoodle as "Colin" that did it.