The Falcons Are the New “Greatest Show on Turf”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Watched the whole Seahawks@Falcons game. The Falcons O looked very reminiscent of the GSOT. Sorry guys but it is what it is. Will they be able to keep it going, win the Super Bowl, and then keep playing like that for a few more seasons? That will ultimately tell the tale.
Maybe the Falcons will, Win the SB this years, force their HC to retire/Quit, Hire their current OC as HC, and have a couple of more good years. IF the follow these guide lines, then they'll truly be the next GSOT!!(y):LOL: Nah! they don't have the overall Team Talent! They have Ryan & Julio. The GSOT had Warner-Faulk_Bruuuce-Holt-Hakim and more!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are good but you have to remember they are doing this against defenses that are severely handicapped compared to when the GSOT was playing, a lot of the rule changes happened because of the way the Patriots corners was mugging our receivers 15 yards down field. The GSOT is the Michael Jordan of all offenses and everything else is Lebron/Kobe

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
a lot of the rule changes happened because of the way the Patriots corners was mugging our receivers 15 yards down field.
I bet they try to mugg them in the SB too....Hell, there was holding in both championship games...

I like Kobe...he was a better shooter than Jordan...Jordan goes to the hole like no one...ever.

I'm kinda pulling for the lil GSOT....they caught my eye...plus...I've always wanted a receiver like Julio Jones...

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
GTFO. There will only be one Greatest Show on Turf, get your own nickname. :shooting:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
On the next play, Atlanta lines up in the exact same formation, except Ryan looks to his left and hits Justin Hardy on a slant. (Click link above to watch video)

Just one season ago the Rams were doing this. You guys remember the thread @Mojo Ram put up showing different plays from the same formation.

Then, on the next play, the Falcons do the opposite: With three receivers to the left, one route goes deep (a “clear out”), and the other two are in-breaking slants, drawing the Saints defenders into the middle of the field. The running back, Coleman, then releases out of the backfield into the left flat that the New Orleans defenders have just vacated. Coleman catches the ball and, with the help of a little screen by Jones on the linebacker, waltzes into the end zone. (Click link above to watch video)

Martz used to do this all the time with Faulk. He would "stay in to block", chip someone if needed on his way out and move into some empty space and Warner would feather a ball out to him that he would catch as he was cutting up the field. They even ran it our of FOUR WIDE sets which was crazy. And that shit worked.

I'm no fan of Martz as a HC, and not so much as an OC unless a HC is telling him to call a run play or pass play like DV used to. But he could design plays as well as anyone ever.

The Falcons’ 27th-ranked defense by DVOA all too often allows opponents to stay in games, but if anyone’s going to beat Atlanta this postseason, they’re going to have to keep pace with a team whose offensive possessions produced touchdowns (58) almost as often as punts and turnovers combined (59).

The Patriots allowed the fewest points in the NFL this year. The Falcons are a serious test for them. And the Patriots defense is going to be a serious test for the Falcons.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I keep seeing the thread title and I think it should be changed to... The Falcons are "trying to be" the Next Greatest Show on Turf. As I stated before, there is only one team who can be called the Greatest Show on Turf. All other teams are wannabees. The Falcons will always be the Dirty Birds.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm starting to lean to the Pats on this one...they not only have the number 1 scoring D....Since TB12, they are the #2 scoring offense too...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...mas-dimitroff-influenced-new-england-patriots

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff talks impact of his Pats past on current team
Vaughn McClure/ESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff was part of the winning culture established in New England, and Dimitroff has implemented some of those elements into success with his current franchise.

Dimitroff, who helped build the Falcons team set to compete against the Patriots in Super Bowl LI, discussed Friday the influences from his days as the Patriots' director of college scouting (2003-2007). He was a part of back-to-back Super Bowl champions alongside coach Bill Belichick, whom Dimitroff has the utmost respect for from their time together.

Dimitroff was asked what were some of the "Patriot ways'' he brought to the Falcons.

"It's indisputable role understanding,'' Dimitroff said. "It's non-entitlement. It's the passion. It's the positivity for us here. And it's about making sure that, again, everyone does their job and stays in the line that they need to stay in, and they're putting their ego in check. And that's what we believe here. That's what [coach] Dan [Quinn] lives as well. We're very fortunate to have that.''

Quinn and Dimitroff continually stressed having a partnership based on a collaborative effort in the decision-making process, although Quinn was given final say over the 53-man roster upon taking over in 2015. The partnership helped identify NFL sacks leader Vic Beasley Jr., the first-round pick in '15, as well as produce a strong 2016 draft class, led by first-round pick Keanu Neal and second-round pick Deion Jones.

Not to mention the Falcons solidified the offensive line with the acquisition of four-time Pro Bowl center Alex Mack, along with the additions of key offensive targets Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel and rookie Austin Hooper.

The Falcons underwent a restructuring in the front office following the 2014 season, after the team parted ways with coach Mike Smith. As a result of the restructuring, assistant general manager Scott Pioli was given more scouting and draft responsibilities, allowing Dimitroff to focus more on the salary-cap implications involved with roster moves. The restructuring appears to have paid off with Pioli, who was the Patriots' vice president of player personnel for nine seasons.

"Scott obviously is a long and trusted friend of mine and a trusted aide, for sure,'' Dimitroff said. "He's a guy that I can go to on many things, whether it's personnel matters that I want to talk to him about, whether it's handling certain situations that come up as a leader in the NFL.

"Scott and I spent a lot of time together, a lot of time talking about the nuances of players in New England. So just having an opportunity to do that has been very good. We're fortunate to have Scott here. We're fortunate to have Phil Emery here and Ruston Webster is, too -- other senior guys, for our scouting staff, who do a great job.

It's like a symposium every time we have scouting meetings. We don't talk about all the things that we've done positively. We all vent about all our shortcomings and what we messed up on. And that's where my entire staff continues to learn more and more. Scott is right at the forefront of that.''

jap

Legend
hopefully they have better luck against these fuckers then we did

We didn't have bad "luck" against the Pats in the 2001 Super Bowl: we had the Pats & the league collaborating to cheat against us.

A Pats employee was actually allowed to bypass NFL security to record our walkthrough practices? In the SB, the Pats' defensive players were actually calling out the plays for brand new plays scripted by Mad Mike that no one in the NFL had ever seen yet while our offensive guys looked at each other in bewilderment? Marshall is tackled by Pats LB Willie McGinest every time he attempted to leak out for a pass in the SB, and the damn officials only called a penalty once!?! Ty Law cracked two of Isaac's ribs early on in the SB, and the Pats' DBs mugged our WRs continually past the legal 5-yard of LOS all day with no calls against the Pats? Tom Brady deliberately threw away a pass within the tackle box (i.e., grounding) on the last drive of the game that should have stopped the Pats from scoring and forced the first Super Bowl OT session, and the damn officials let it go?

I know other longtime members here could easily list more offenses in a SB heavy with penalties by the Pats that were never called. Yeah!, I still want to barbecue Goodall and the 2001 Patriots over a slow, hot fire for that game, dammit!!!!We're talking about a sports scandal that was bigger than that of the 1919 Black Sox scandal where eight Chicago White Sox players were guilty of throwing the World Series!!!

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know other longtime members here could easily list more offenses in a SB heavy with penalties by the Pats that were never called. Yeah!, I still want to barbecue Goodall and the 2001 Patriots over a slow, hot fire for that game, dammit!!!!We're talking about a sports scandal that was bigger than that of the 1919 Black Sox scandal where eight Chicago White Sox players were guilty of throwing the World Series!!!

I'm assuming that you left Shoeless Joe out on purpose? I agree with that.

I also agree with everything else you said. I couldn't have put it better myself.

jap

Legend
I'm assuming that you left Shoeless Joe out on purpose? I agree with that.

I also agree with everything else you said. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Say you're not a dodger, Roger? Will that do?

jap

Legend
Do you believe that Shoeless Joe cheated? I don't think he did.

I honestly do not know. I know his story vaguely, but is his character truly pure, or is it the impression of a public starving for a hero to worship? People are merely people, and the purest of us are still more than capable of moral error for whatever reason.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly do not know. I know his story vaguely, but is his character truly pure, or is it the impression of a public starving for a hero to worship? People are merely people, and the purest of us are still more than capable of moral error for whatever reason.

I just feel that he didn't. His stats didn't drop off at all. He hustled on damn near every play, from what I recall.

It's a travesty that Pete Rose - a guy who gambled when he was a player and a coach - gets consideration for the Hall and Jackson doesn't.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, for them to be the next GSOT..They have to blow out teams all year...Beat a prolific Offense like a drum in the first playoff game...and then have it's defense hold their own against another team who is known for it's defensive prowess, only to have a gutsy former grocery clerk, throw up a TD to a WR that hadn't caught a TD ALL year, to win the game...and then beat a team with a "hail Isaac" throw/TD, and a miraculous stop on the last play of the game by an ok LB one yard short of a tie..oh...and this "new GSOT" has to win the game, like the 1999 version.

Piece of cake.

FRO

Legend
Nope. They have a great OC, a great QB, and a great WR to go along with many other good players. The GSOT is normally in a class of its own due to Faulk alone, but with two legitimate number one receivers, great 3rd and 4th WRs, the best LT in the game an pro bowl G in Timmerman, and a two time MVP in Warner. The GSOT had 5 guys on offense that are sure fire HOFs or borderline and had Bruce and Holt been self promoting divas they would be in because their play on the field warranted it. The Falcons are great, but the GSOT was the greatest. Also if the GSOT played with today's rules their numbers would be that much better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Only one GSOT. Just like there is only one fearsome foursome.

But, Atlanta... should they win... can come up with something to define that team.

Since I don't follow them as closely, I don't have a feel for what that would be.

jap

Legend
Only one GSOT. Just like there is only one fearsome foursome.

But, Atlanta... should they win... can come up with something to define that team.

Since I don't follow them as closely, I don't have a feel for what that would be.

Their old name was the Dirty Birds. I am sure they can think of something original to call the current squad.