The end of the gasoline powered car?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm all for new technology and improving the environment but I can't see myself ever going electric .

I don't have to worry about someone hacking the system or locking me out of my car. If my gas engines breaks down I can fix it on my own, it' easy to diagnose .

I love the new technology but as for the engine I'll stick to gas.

Do you live in Cuba, because those most be some older model engines and cars that you are able to service completely by yourself ? I haven't had a vehicle like that in years. Just disconnecting batteries can throw off an autos computer now, and independent garages are getting pretty scarce. I don't know how old you are, but come back and look at this post in 10-15 years from now and i'll bet you are pretty surprised.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Do you live in Cuba, because those most be some older model engines and cars that you are able to service completely by yourself ? I haven't had a vehicle like that in years. Just disconnecting batteries can throw off an autos computer now, and independent garages are getting pretty scarce. I don't know how old you are, but come back and look at this post in 10-15 years from now and i'll bet you are pretty surprised.
I have a 13 impala and I can do pretty much anything on it, been in the
I live in Rochester NY, most cars can still be worked on very easily. All you need is a scan tool and the internet lol. My 13 impala ltz is just as simple as any car from the past 20 years.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I have a 13 impala and I can do pretty much anything on it, been in the

I live in Rochester NY, most cars can still be worked on very easily. All you need is a scan tool and the internet lol. My 13 impala ltz is just as simple as any car from the past 20 years.
And a YouTube "how to" video and the average joe is off and running.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with much of that.

And the guy in the video is essentially channeling what I've been saying for quite awhile now. It's why I predicted that the iPod and iPhone would trounce other tech... Jobs understood convergence better than almost anyone in the modern era.

People forget how onerous the process was to buy music or to install an application. And does anyone remember the early days of Android where the market was ridiculously fragmented based on silly sounding Android OS names? The average person just wasn't interested in mastering or even participating in that learning curve. It's why for a long time, there were lines outside Apple stores for products. They understood convergence. Now, I like Tim Cook, but he understands it less so and the last few years have been Apple becoming big at the expense of the future and they are coming dangerously close to Kodak territory. I see a market disruption coming in that space, too.

As for solar, I have mixed feelings on it. I think it will be part of the energy matrix, but not dominant.

I just saw a video, a TEDtalk from a Mennonite, pacifist, anti-nuclear activist that there's a groundswell among hardcore climate activists that Thorium fueled nuclear is the way to go even over solar and hydro. That people like him as well as Jim Hanson (I think I got his name right, he's the scientist who was among the earliest to talk about man-made climate change) are advocating for Thorium fueled nuclear is really something and, quite honestly, based on the data, it's hard to argue with him.

I do take umbrage with his lack of concern for waste, even as he acknowledges that it's the only energy that we capture the waste (we don't capture the sulfur, methane and CO2 that are generated from coal and natural gas). I mean, in real terms, we have a "Captain Philips" and Somali pirates raiding ocean vessels expressly because the French dumped their nuclear waste off of the coast of Somalia and the leaking containers decimated the fishing. The fishermen literally had nothing else they could do other than become drones for the local warlords. So waste (including the reconditioning of the waste as we only use about 3% of the fuel prior to storing it) and the entire use process of nuclear fuel has to be revisited... again without the dogma. That said, I'm glad they aren't putting up the Uranium fueled plant here in Florida.

I have a more complete take on how nuclear could work and significantly more safe than currently deployed, but I'll save that for another post if anyone's interested. Anyway, here's the video. And for X, it's only 16 mins long, iirc.

Jesus, even
Nuke as it stands now is the most reasonable option.
My folks put solar on their home and love it.
Mostly love the savings.
I would for sure consider a hybred or electric car but it has to make sense. If I am saving $250 if fuel costs and spending $200 on my power bill, well, there has to be other selling points. If I could could charge a hybred using a solar panel or two that I could install or even put on a stand I would be all over it. The problem is solar is still very inefficient.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All electric

>400km range

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
All electric

>400km range

They are getting better but a long way to go to use such a vehicle for extended travel. (300 miles on a full charge. 170 miles with a one hour pit stop) I guess it can be done with some planning on where to stop to charge and eat a sit down meal. I'd still hate to try and change the batteries in one, much less pay for them. Could be a great option as a commuter though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm all for new technology and improving the environment but I can't see myself ever going electric .

I don't have to worry about someone hacking the system or locking me out of my car. If my gas engines breaks down I can fix it on my own, it' easy to diagnose .

I honestly don’t think any of us will have that choice.

I think within 10 years, we won’t be able to buy personal auto insurance.

Moreover, I expect cities to have an autonomous cordon where even a billionaire couldn’t drive.

Yes, security will be paramount, but I think blockchain technology and quantum computing is going to make hacking awfully difficult in the days ahead.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
But kilometers are so small! Why can't the car drive in miles?

I believe the way to get Americans to convert to the metric system is to remind guys that a 6 inch wiener is over 15 cms.

And what guy doesn’t want to say he’s packing “a solid 15?”

reece.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I believe the way to get Americans to convert to the metric system is to remind guys that a 6 inch wiener is over 15 cms.

reece.jpg
Pretty funny.

But seriously. They told us metric would be taking over shortly and we better learn it quick. That was in the early 70s. It’s obviously going to take more than being able to convince a chick that 6 is the new 15.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Do you have a vehicle still that you hop in and run up to the store to get some beer, or do you have to contact, like an Uber, and the transportation comes from some nearby motor pool? No waiting time, or dealing with a stranger? I'm trying to see this.
Just the idea of hopping in a car to go shopping for beer or most anything else may soon become as obsolete as those gas guzzling piston engines. Where I live in both L.A. and LHC, everything gets delivered already, whether by my local supermarket or by Amazon & Amazon Prime. I can have it in 2 hours or 2 days depending on which service I choose, it's as easy as ordering a pizza over the internet.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

reece.jpg
I'm Sold, where do I sign up at?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Just the idea of hopping in a car to go shopping for beer or most anything else may soon become as obsolete as those gas guzzling piston engines. Where I live in both L.A. and LHC, everything gets delivered already, whether by my local supermarket or by Amazon & Amazon Prime. I can have it in 2 hours or 2 days depending on which service I choose, it's as easy as ordering a pizza over the internet.

All kinds of problems with that. Listen to that “gas-guzzling piston engine”. You say that like it’s a bad thing. :rolleyes:

I respect that we can have different opinions, but I think the readiness to abandon liberty for convenience is pretty alarming. Not buying it.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

reece.jpg
My real problem with the metric system is that there isn't a single human being with the authority to do so who is capable of make accurate speed limits.

Example A: military bases in Germany where the speed limit near schools is 20kph. That's like 12mph. Absolutely ridiculous. Major thoroughfares on post are 40kph, about 25.

If you want to triple the travel times in America, switch to metric and let idiots make the speed limits.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All kinds of problems with that. Listen to that “gas-guzzling piston engine”. You say that like it’s a bad thing. :rolleyes:

I respect that we can have different opinions, but I think the readiness to abandon liberty for convenience is pretty alarming. Not buying it.

Yeah, the carbon emissions are a very bad thing imo.

It's the marketplace driving the change, and I actually prefer the direction the OP is spelling out. Not really sure what liberties i'm missing out on if the market can provide a better travel experience along with new and engaging services at less cost. jmo.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the carbon emissions are a very bad thing imo.

It's the marketplace driving the change, and I actually prefer the direction the OP is spelling out. Not really sure what liberties i'm missing out on if the market can provide a better travel experience along with new and engaging services at less cost. jmo.

On the Carbon DIOXIDE emissions: they are generally not a huge deal. Plant food. Most of it is absorbed into trees and plants. CO2 sensitivity to temperature is actually way over-stated. I get that recent generations have been peppered with the opposite information.

If smog is the issue, the catalytic converter and smoke stack filtration have solved most of those issues. Fossil-fuel energy is one of the greatest gifts to man kind. It enhances our lives and saves lives.

If the market comes up with greater options, awesome. But even battery powered energy requires trade offs.

As far as the freedom thing, I’m talking about the notion being thrown around that vehicle ownership, or vehicle possession will become a thing of the past.

So if you want a pizza? Boom. You go on your app. And a stooge shows up in 30 minutes. Hey. Don’t forget the parm. and a side of ranch!

Beer run? Ha! Pull up your Amazon app. You can even stay in your boxers! Nice cold 12 pack. Boom. Beer stooge is here! Set down your joystick for a sec.

Travel? Ha. Automated vehicle shows up. I’m off to Vegas. Got my automated Living Wage check from the State loaded into my account this morning.

Yeah. That’s the way it will play out! No travel restrictions. Totally sustainable. That’s the plan.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I'm doing other things right now, but watched the first 10 minutes of it. I'll watch the rest sometime this weekend.

I know electric cars sound great, but there's a lot of other factors, and maybe he mentions them later on.

- How much strain are these cars going to be on the electrical grid? Where will the electricity come from, coal plants? Wind turbines? That's another can of worms.

-Lithium Ion batteries? 12 megafactories? That's a helluva lot of mining.

-The government and big oil bureaucracy will do whatever they can to keep the oil flowing. I'm in the O&G industry as a consultant and from what I can see, the business is still strong. There are many exploration projects going on currently.

-At the beginning when he mentions other technologies and how the electrical car will follow suit. But the thing is, all those prior inventions were new ideas that made lives easier. Car was upgrade from horse and buggy, cell phone > land line, computer > handwriting, etc. A car is still a car. Gets you to point A to point B.

Good points. All change does not “progress” us. Gas powered engines, though they contain electronic components, are less susceptible to sabotage.

I have to disagree with number 2 there Les.

Having been under several crappy bosses, then upgrading my job 2 times in the last 2 years (plus a recent promotion) change is freaking awesome when it's done right.

Usually what we get is change for the sake of change though. Or change to stroke an ego. Or change to give people good feelings even though the change was bad.

Maybe electric cars will be good though. Who knows?
Or change based on false narratives.

To address your concerns about liberty, it requires understanding that every generation defines it differently. Not being a slave to Corporatocracy is considered to be a much greater freedom by many in this latest generation than not having the keys to simply go where one wants to go the minute one gets the idea.

This is an interesting point. Mack, I know this is not your sentiment, but your observations of the world view of many in the current generation. GOVERNMENT is capable of enslavement. Corporations are only capable of offering opportunities, goods and services. (Unless they try to control through monopolies, or manipulation, ala Google and Facebook and political sensoring).

We should be far more concerned with Government enslavement.

essentially the market and civic planning requirements will require the rest of us to adapt... as in, no insurance for you or me or no human driving in the city for you or me. Which will mean... something else, be it public transportation or one of these subscription type services.

Bingo. Require...no human driving...hmmm. Doesn’t sound ominous.(n)

Yes. At this point. I’ll stick to gas as well.

I honestly don’t think any of us will have that choice.

I think within 10 years, we won’t be able to buy personal auto insurance.

Moreover, I expect cities to have an autonomous cordon where even a billionaire couldn’t drive.

Yes, security will be paramount, but I think blockchain technology and quantum computing is going to make hacking awfully difficult in the days ahead.

Don’t think any of us will have that choice?...won’t be able to buy personal auto insurance? I’m not attacking the messenger Mack. I know you’ve been looking at this for years.

I just don’t get that some don’t have reservations about this Brave New World. All change is good. Right?

Hmm. Might need to develop a taste for locusts. Got any used pelts you can sell me Mack?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On the Carbon DIOXIDE emissions: they are generally not a huge deal. Plant food. Most of it is absorbed into trees and plants. CO2 sensitivity to temperature is actually way over-stated. I get that recent generations have been peppered with the opposite information.

I agree that CO2 is just plant food, unfortunately human need for resources (including mining for batteries) has destroyed a high amount of plant life on this planet. I know some places in China (of all countries) they've increased forests but it's not enough to negate the human need. That's why REDUCTION is most important, and also such a hard concept to incorporate into our lives, especially in the west.

Good points. All change does not “progress” us. Gas powered engines, though they contain electronic components, are less susceptible to sabotage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for alternative energy and getting away from the gasoline thirst. Eventually the politics and/or supply will force humans to anyway. My issue is that this isn't the "catch-all" for reducing our environmental impact.