The Eight Best Players of the 2018 NFL Season So Far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...-gurley-drew-brees-adam-thielen-philip-rivers

At this point in the schedule, the MVP race is far too close to call. So instead of trying to predict who’ll wind up taking home the hardware, we’re celebrating the players who have defined the first six weeks of the season.
By Robert Mays

At the six-week mark of almost every NFL season, the MVP race is too close to call. Sure, there are usually front-runners (and plenty of people willing to prognosticate and play the odds), but there’s so much football left that—especially in 2018—the award seems pretty up for grabs.

So instead of trying to predict who’ll take home the hardware at the end of this season, we’re celebrating the players who have stood out in their respective positions so far this year and examining why and how they’ve been so effective.

Todd Gurley, RB, Rams

The Case: As I mentioned in Monday’s Starting 11, Gurley is on pace for 2,320 yards from scrimmage and 29 touchdowns. If he pulls that off, he’d be just the second player to do it since the merger (the other being LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006, the year he won the MVP award). For the second straight season, Gurley has been the most dangerous player on arguably the league’s best offense.

Sean McVay has crafted an offensive identity centered around Gurley—he masks certain play designs, making them look identical to others. The play-action passes look like runs. The runs look like play-action passes.

McVay’s scheme is completely unpredictable, and it only functions that way because Gurley can do everything you could ask of a running back. His skills as a receiver and dominance on screen passes ensure that when he’s in the game, any play on McVay’s call sheet is on the table.

And the Rams have taken full advantage. Gurley faces eight or more rushers in the box on 10.08 percent of his carries, the seventh-lowest rate in the league. On the surface, that doesn’t make any sense. Why the hell would the league’s best running back face light boxes on nine out of every 10 runs?

The answer is that the Rams use 11 personnel on nearly 93 percent of their running plays, and opponents are forced to respond with sub-package defenses. Then Gurley responds in kind by gashing them all game.

Saying that McVay does all he can to accentuate Gurley’s talent isn’t meant to take anything away from what Gurley’s been doing this season. The only time a player should be dinged for the damage he does in a great system is when another player could come in and produce at the same level—which is certainly not the case with Gurley.

There might be one other back in the league who could destroy defenses under McVay the way that Gurley has, but that’s it. We’ve all seen the wrong coaching staff steal the joy of peak Todd Gurley by slamming him into the line on every play. Let’s all just be thankful McVay got to him when he did, because he’s turned Gurley into the MVP frontrunner.

The Clip:

ezgif.com_optimize__4_.jpg

Former NFL offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz did a great job of breaking down this concept on Twitter earlier this week(see below). When the Rams use jet motion, it holds the opposing linebackers just long enough for L.A.’s linemen to execute blocks that wouldn’t be possible with a normal inside zone run. With Gurley carrying the ball and the big boys picking off players at the second level, just say goodnight.

View: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1052169004595507200

Jared Goff, QB, Rams

The Case:
For anyone wondering why the Rams are still undefeated and clearly the best team in football, maybe it’s because their running back and quarterback both have a viable claim as the league’s best player.

Goff’s improvement from his rookie year to last season’s sophomore campaign was the largest jump any player in the league made over that period, and he’s continued his ascent in his third season. While Goff was merely seen as a capable point man for McVay’s offense last year, he’s spent the first six weeks of the 2018 season making throws only a few quarterbacks in the league can make.

His Week 4 performance against the Vikings was the most impressive game I’ve ever witnessed in person from an NFL quarterback. Goff threw five touchdown passes, and each one was more gorgeous than the last. It was like watching a ridiculous Steph Curry game where he’s pulling up from near half-court and casually dropping it through the net.

The rim was 10 feet in diameter for Goff against Minnesota, and after his second touchdown throw to Cooper Kupp that night — a throw ripped into the back corner of the end zone while on the move — he couldn’t help but smile. Goff admitted to me after the game that he might have gotten lucky with that one; I don’t think he’s giving himself enough credit.

From the 2017 season to now, not much has changed about the Rams’ offensive personnel. This unit has taken another step because Goff looks like a different quarterback. McVay will do plenty to scheme receivers open, but if Goff continues to make throws like he has for much of this season, there’s no limit to how great the Rams can be.

The Clip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhBSZoYXr0&feature=player_embedded

Goff’s touchdown pass to Kupp is the only reason this bomb to Cooks won’t be remembered as the prettiest throw from his evisceration of the Vikings. Plays like this one are what differentiate 2018 Goff from last year’s version. Design has some role in allowing this touchdown to happen — by holding the safety with Kupp’s deep in route, McVay turns the play into a foot race between Cooks and cornerback Trae Waynes.

But even color commentator Troy Aikman admitted that he didn’t think Goff had the arm to get the ball there. This pass travels 60 yards in the air, which would be impressive in its own right. But dropping it right into the receiver’s arms makes it truly special.
--------------------------------------------------
To read about the rest of the players on this list, click the link.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...-gurley-drew-brees-adam-thielen-philip-rivers

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

At this point in the schedule, the MVP race is far too close to call. So instead of trying to predict who’ll wind up taking home the hardware, we’re celebrating the players who have defined the first six weeks of the season.
By Robert Mays

At the six-week mark of almost every NFL season, the MVP race is too close to call. Sure, there are usually front-runners (and plenty of people willing to prognosticate and play the odds), but there’s so much football left that—especially in 2018—the award seems pretty up for grabs.

So instead of trying to predict who’ll take home the hardware at the end of this season, we’re celebrating the players who have stood out in their respective positions so far this year and examining why and how they’ve been so effective.

Todd Gurley, RB, Rams

The Case: As I mentioned in Monday’s Starting 11, Gurley is on pace for 2,320 yards from scrimmage and 29 touchdowns. If he pulls that off, he’d be just the second player to do it since the merger (the other being LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006, the year he won the MVP award). For the second straight season, Gurley has been the most dangerous player on arguably the league’s best offense.

Sean McVay has crafted an offensive identity centered around Gurley—he masks certain play designs, making them look identical to others. The play-action passes look like runs. The runs look like play-action passes.

McVay’s scheme is completely unpredictable, and it only functions that way because Gurley can do everything you could ask of a running back. His skills as a receiver and dominance on screen passes ensure that when he’s in the game, any play on McVay’s call sheet is on the table.

And the Rams have taken full advantage. Gurley faces eight or more rushers in the box on 10.08 percent of his carries, the seventh-lowest rate in the league. On the surface, that doesn’t make any sense. Why the hell would the league’s best running back face light boxes on nine out of every 10 runs?

The answer is that the Rams use 11 personnel on nearly 93 percent of their running plays, and opponents are forced to respond with sub-package defenses. Then Gurley responds in kind by gashing them all game.

Saying that McVay does all he can to accentuate Gurley’s talent isn’t meant to take anything away from what Gurley’s been doing this season. The only time a player should be dinged for the damage he does in a great system is when another player could come in and produce at the same level—which is certainly not the case with Gurley.

There might be one other back in the league who could destroy defenses under McVay the way that Gurley has, but that’s it. We’ve all seen the wrong coaching staff steal the joy of peak Todd Gurley by slamming him into the line on every play. Let’s all just be thankful McVay got to him when he did, because he’s turned Gurley into the MVP frontrunner.

The Clip:

ezgif.com_optimize__4_.jpg

Former NFL offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz did a great job of breaking down this concept on Twitter earlier this week(see below). When the Rams use jet motion, it holds the opposing linebackers just long enough for L.A.’s linemen to execute blocks that wouldn’t be possible with a normal inside zone run. With Gurley carrying the ball and the big boys picking off players at the second level, just say goodnight.

View: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1052169004595507200

Jared Goff, QB, Rams

The Case:
For anyone wondering why the Rams are still undefeated and clearly the best team in football, maybe it’s because their running back and quarterback both have a viable claim as the league’s best player.

Goff’s improvement from his rookie year to last season’s sophomore campaign was the largest jump any player in the league made over that period, and he’s continued his ascent in his third season. While Goff was merely seen as a capable point man for McVay’s offense last year, he’s spent the first six weeks of the 2018 season making throws only a few quarterbacks in the league can make.

His Week 4 performance against the Vikings was the most impressive game I’ve ever witnessed in person from an NFL quarterback. Goff threw five touchdown passes, and each one was more gorgeous than the last. It was like watching a ridiculous Steph Curry game where he’s pulling up from near half-court and casually dropping it through the net.

The rim was 10 feet in diameter for Goff against Minnesota, and after his second touchdown throw to Cooper Kupp that night — a throw ripped into the back corner of the end zone while on the move — he couldn’t help but smile. Goff admitted to me after the game that he might have gotten lucky with that one; I don’t think he’s giving himself enough credit.

From the 2017 season to now, not much has changed about the Rams’ offensive personnel. This unit has taken another step because Goff looks like a different quarterback. McVay will do plenty to scheme receivers open, but if Goff continues to make throws like he has for much of this season, there’s no limit to how great the Rams can be.

The Clip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhBSZoYXr0&feature=player_embedded

Goff’s touchdown pass to Kupp is the only reason this bomb to Cooks won’t be remembered as the prettiest throw from his evisceration of the Vikings. Plays like this one are what differentiate 2018 Goff from last year’s version. Design has some role in allowing this touchdown to happen — by holding the safety with Kupp’s deep in route, McVay turns the play into a foot race between Cooks and cornerback Trae Waynes.

But even color commentator Troy Aikman admitted that he didn’t think Goff had the arm to get the ball there. This pass travels 60 yards in the air, which would be impressive in its own right. But dropping it right into the receiver’s arms makes it truly special.
--------------------------------------------------
To read about the rest of the players on this list, click the link.

Ok, so I'm going to load this article onto my iPad and head into the bathroom with it ... it's going to be a while, guys.

:yess:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This is the truth and it's why during the AD contract discussions prior to Gurley signing I wanted to secure those two in the backfield for years to come. The first part is done and I am 100% sure that Goff will be signing a long term deal as soon as he is able.

Having that IMO is more important than any other players on the roster, especially for an innovative play designer like McVay.

The trajectory this puts the Rams in is very similar to Warner and Faulk with Martz. Now I won't say they are "as good" but IMO they will be considered in that class within a few years.

And then consider that there is a really aggressive and bright GM and it almost makes you wonder if it's real!!!

jap

Legend

That pass to Cooks is what separates Jared from Brady & Brees. Brandin actually complained that Brees was putting him in dangerous situations . . . apparently because Drew's weaker arm was not strong enough to lead Brandin on longer passes. Brandin would have to slow down and wait for the ball, allowing DBs to have opportunities to really clock him. I imagine it was similar with Brady. I doubt either of those two future hall of famers could have completed Jared's strike to Cooks.

Ram65

Legend
Gurley has exceeded my expectations. It's a team effort for both him and Goff. Watching the blocking break down was great. The offensive line and Higs created a nice hole and Gurley got the most out of it with little cuts and his speed. McVay's play design has been keeping defenses off guard.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Unfortunately, with the legend of Mahomes growing daily, it seems people are looking for reasons to not like Goff. Mahomes went toe to toe with the greatest qb ever and Goff survived in mile high. If they lose a game Goff might take a back seat to Jimmy G.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This is the truth and it's why during the AD contract discussions prior to Gurley signing I wanted to secure those two in the backfield for years to come. The first part is done and I am 100% sure that Goff will be signing a long term deal as soon as he is able.

Having that IMO is more important than any other players on the roster, especially for an innovative play designer like McVay.

The trajectory this puts the Rams in is very similar to Warner and Faulk with Martz. Now I won't say they are "as good" but IMO they will be considered in that class within a few years.

And then consider that there is a really aggressive and bright GM and it almost makes you wonder if it's real!!!

Not as good right now, but much younger. Two 24 year olds vs two guys that were 27 & 28 or so I believe when they started their Ram careers. Faulk might have been 26 at the time of the trade... I forget.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Stupid. The RB who led the league in rushing up until last week isnt even on this list. Philip Rivers is always overrated.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stupid. The RB who led the league in rushing up until last week isnt even on this list. Philip Rivers is always overrated.

From the article..........which I admit is not that great and he is way out of bounds with the "Mahomes has once-in-a-lifetime ability" comment, but........on Rivers........this is nothing to sneeze at and he has had a fantastic career and is playing great this year.

the 36-year-old quarterback’s play is the biggest reason why. Rivers has completed 68.6 percent of his passes on 8.8 yards per attempt with 15 touchdown passes and three interceptions, and according to Pro Football Focus, he has a 115.9 passer rating when under pressure this season. No other QB has a rating above 100 when the heat is on.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How Good is Todd Gurley? Most Ram fans were pissed because the Rams were taking him out against the Broncos not realizing Gurley was gassed because of the thin air. Tough in Colorado Gentlemen, when you're running up there all of the sudden you go to breath and there is nothing there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Totally agree.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tough in Colorado Gentlemen, when you're running up there all of the sudden you go to breath and there is nothing there.

I tried to respond a moment ago and not sure what happened.

Anyway..........

It's not the "thin" air from what I have been told, it's the "dry" air. At altitude dehydration is much more common.

Heavy breathing causes your body to expel water and there is no moisture in the air to make up for that. Your body goes into the negative if you aren't drinking a lot.

The same thing happens at low elevation in a desert. It's easy to get gassed.

Gotta drink more water that's all..........just like in a hot and dry environment. Cold and dry air isn't really any different than that. The level of oxygen isn't that different from the midwest to 5-6K feet up.

It isn't like they went to Pikes Peak to play.