The dreadful 2007 QB draft class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/131110/the-dreadful-2007-qb-draft-class

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the quarterback class of 2007, which will be remembered as one of the worst in NFL history. Eleven quarterbacks were selected. Only one finished his career with a winning record (Drew Stanton), and only one finished with at least 10 wins as a starter (Trent Edwards).

JaMarcus Russell

Russell won the Raiders over with his Sugar Bowl MVP performance for LSU and size, but a holdout into the start of the NFL season foreshadowed future struggles. He lasted two seasons as a starter before being benched.

The Raiders released Russell in 2010, and although he made multiple comeback attempts, he never made it back into the league. He is considered one of the biggest busts among No. 1 picks in NFL history.

“When you went down to the pro day and you watched him work out, and you watched the players around him before he worked out, and how they responded to him, it was very obvious that this guy is a natural leader.”

-- Raiders coach Lane Kiffin on JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Quinn won awards as the nation’s top quarterback at Notre Dame, and there were great expectations for him as a pro that ultimately went unfulfilled. Quinn was so highly regarded by some that it was thought he could go No. 1 in the draft. But his stock dropped a bit. The concerns were warranted. In 24 games, he completed 54 percent of his passes, with 12 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. He currently works as a football broadcaster.

"This is the day that is probably going to go down as the day the fortune of the Browns turn. If we are able to do it, this is going to be one of those steppingstone days."

-- Browns GM Phil Savage after selecting tackle Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the first round

Kevin Kolb

After the Eagles traded Donovan McNabb to clear out the starting position, Kolb’s pro career looked as if it was going to take off when he threw for more than 300 yards in each of his first two starts. But a concussion suffered in the 2010 season opener was the first of three that would lead to the end of his NFL career in 2014.

“What I saw in Kevin was somebody that was in complete control of his offensive scheme. I didn't care as much about the offensive scheme he was running other than he did it very well. I liked the way he was wired, his mobility and his movement in the pocket. I think he's a good, solid person, and I think you can see he has good, solid leadership qualities.”

-- Andy Reid on Kevin Kolb

John Beck

Beck was a finalist for the Davey O’Brien Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award out of BYU, but he could never duplicate his collegiate success in the NFL, going 0-7 with the Dolphins, Ravens, Redskins and Titans. His career ended after a brief stint in the CFL in 2014.

Drew Stanton

Stanton is the most successful of the bunch, with an 8-5 record as a starter, including a win last year for the Cardinals over the 49ers in which he threw for two touchdowns. He was a hyped standout at Michigan State whose play didn’t quite match the hype. But he’s the last man standing. Every other quarterback in this draft was done throwing passes by the end of the 2012 season.

Trent Edwards

Drafted out of Stanford, Edwards made 33 starts over five seasons, including 14 for the Bills in 2008. He eventually lost his job to Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2010 and made one start the rest of his career (with the Jaguars). He threw his last two passes as a backup with the Eagles in 2012.

Isaiah Stanback

Stanback, a star quarterback at Washington, never played that position in the NFL. He spent time with the Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks, Giants and Jaguars, making five catches in 12 games. His final NFL game was in 2009, but he hunted around the league until just before the 2013 season.

Jeff Rowe

Rowe was picked out of Nevada but couldn’t get on the field for the three teams he played for -- the Bengals, Seahawks and Patriots -- the last of which cut him in 2010.

Troy Smith

Smith won the Heisman Trophy at Ohio State in 2006 but was not viewed highly as a prospect due to his lack of size. He made eight starts between the Ravens and 49ers but was out of the NFL at the end of the 2010 season. He played in both the United League and the CFL (for the Montreal Alouettes). His career ended during the 2014 season.

Jordan Palmer

Palmer, the younger brother of Carson Palmer, bounced around as a backup for six NFL teams from 2007 to 2014 after a successful career at UTEP. He threw 18 total passes with two interceptions. He has since become a quarterback coach, training (among others) Clemson’s DeShaun Watson.

Tyler Thigpen

Thigpen, then the top quarterback at Coastal Carolina, was picked by the Vikings, then claimed off waivers by the Chiefs. In 2008, injuries led to his making 11 starts with the Chiefs, but things didn’t go well. He went 1-10 as a starter. He made one start in the next five seasons, losing it with the Dolphins in 2010. His last NFL appearance came in 2012, though he was briefly with the Browns in 2014.

What could have been

In the case of each of the first three quarterbacks, the player drafted immediately afterward made a significant impact. Calvin Johnson was the No. 2 pick by the Lions after Russell. His career ended with 83 touchdown receptions (22nd all-time). Dwayne Bowe was selected 23rd overall by the Chiefs, one spot behind Quinn. He currently has 44 touchdown receptions in a largely successful career. Defensive back Eric Weddle, taken 37th overall, one spot after Kolb, was a nine-year starter and four-time Pro Bowler.

The ugly numbers

The Elias Sports Bureau notes that excluding the 2012 to 2016 draft classes (for small sample size):

The 2007 draft class of quarterbacks made 139 starts, the fewest by a draft class since 1996 (115).

The class's 47 wins are the fewest since the NFL and AFL started their common draft in 1967. Next fewest: 48 in 1996.

Pro Football Reference has an approximate value stat that measures a player's overall worth. Russell finished his career with an approximate value of 6. The only QB taken No. 1 overall in the common draft era (since 1967) with a lower draft value is Jared Goff(minus-2), whose career began last season.

Russell and Quinn were each their team’s primary starter for two years. There were 71 players selected in this draft that were their team’s primary starter at a position for more than two years.

It is a very reasonable argument to say that nine-year running back Ahmad Bradshaw had a more successful career than any of the quarterbacks selected in that draft (most notably those in the top 100). Bradshaw was selected 250th by the Giants in a draft that lasted 255 picks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams destroyed Kolb and his confidence never returned after the beating they gave him

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
2017 QB class might be just as good.:sadwalk:

IMO DeShone Kizer has the goods, Big Arm, very bright and the ability to escape the pocket, it will take a couple of years, but I see Steve McNair with better pedigree.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everybody realizes Brady Quinn signed with the Rams back in 2013 only to last two weeks before being put on IR....Have to admit I did not think Quinn would be a total bust I thought he would be more like a Jeff Blake or even a Mike Phipps.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO DeShone Kizer has the goods, Big Arm, very bright and the ability to escape the pocket, it will take a couple of years, but I see Steve McNair with better pedigree.

I don't like any of them this year either. It is a very uninspiring QB crop. I don't think Kiser has it mentally. If I had to put money on one it would be Watson.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brady Quinn might have ended up a decent QB if he'd gone to another team. Those Browns were so horrible it was pathetic. The top producing WR they had his last two years when he started the most games was Mohamed Massaquoi.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams destroyed Kolb and his confidence never returned after the beating they gave him

I think his career ended not long after due to concussions. He would have stuck around for awhile if not for the concussions. But we did beat the shit out of him when he was with Arizona. He was a quality backup/spot starter type.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think Kiser has it mentally. .

How can you make the judgment, the kid was great in the classroom and considered extremely bright and is only 20 years of age, Notre Dame's offense was fine they lost because of their defense. One thing I feel very good about is Kizer from the neck up, you want to question his accuarcy? That I can understand, but the kid comes off extremely smart and killed on interviews so maybe your are going by his mental progressions which if that is your point then I get it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This year is also very weak in QB talent from what I see. I think a lot of these guys have had their draft stock elevated out of shear desperation for a QB in this league. If you placed all these guys in the 2014 or 2015 draft, I doubt any of them would be considered a first round talent.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I realize QB is THE guy on the team. Draft a great one and you're halfway to the Superbowl. But how often do they all or most turn out "great"? The class of 1983 is the pinnacle. Elway, Kelly and Marino all in the hall of fame. But add to those 3, Eric Dickerson, Bruce Matthews and Darrell Green and you have 6 guys from the first round (28 picks btw) in the HOF. In all honesty there should be 3 more from that draft in the HOF. Henry Ellard (2nd round), Leonard Marshall (2nd) and Charles Mann (3rd). Ellard is #15 in reception yards but only 32nd in receptions. He came from the era of pro football when legit receivers ran downfield and got open, not the era of 8 or 9 reception games that total 70 or 80 yards. Those last two had long careers (12 seasons each) and played on a total of 6 Superbowl Championship teams (and both had 83 career sacks). Now that was a freak of a draft.

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I think Kolb coulda been decent if he stayed with Reid his whole career, but thats more because of Reid than Kolb's skills

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How can you make the judgment, the kid was great in the classroom and considered extremely bright and is only 20 years of age, Notre Dame's offense was fine they lost because of their defense. One thing I feel very good about is Kizer from the neck up, you want to question his accuarcy? That I can understand, but the kid comes off extremely smart and killed on interviews so maybe your are going by his mental progressions which if that is your point then I get it.

Mistakes on the field. He made too many. Being good in a classroom and being good in 3 seconds is too entirely different things. It's a big part of what makes being an NFL QB the hardest position in sports and what makes it so tough to figure out if a successful college QB can transition to the next level.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the quarterback class of 2007, which will be remembered as one of the worst in NFL history. Eleven quarterbacks were selected. Only one finished his career with a winning record (Drew Stanton), and only one finished with at least 10 wins as a starter (Trent Edwards).
A Record QB Draft, That will probably stand forever!!:rolllaugh:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
kolbjaw.gif

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mistakes on the field. He made too many. Being good in a classroom and being good in 3 seconds is too entirely different things. It's a big part of what makes being an NFL QB the hardest position in sports and what makes it so tough to figure out if a successful college QB can transition to the next level.

That is a very valid point and I'm not going to make excuses, but sometimes having the talent that he has, he tends to force the ball and he was also under tremendous pressure to score every time the Irish had the football. Still believe he can be a special QB because of his assets big kid, big arm, smart (off the field) and the ability to take off an run.

Give him a coach that works on his ability to not take the chances and live to fight another play and he'll be fine. Again I would feel better if the kid was drafted out of the Rams division, but I get a feeling he goes to the 49ers in the 2nd round, come on Bears, he's right in your backyard.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/131110/the-dreadful-2007-qb-draft-class

JaMarcus Russell

Russell won the Raiders over with his Sugar Bowl MVP performance for LSU and size, but a holdout into the start of the NFL season foreshadowed future struggles. He lasted two seasons as a starter before being benched.

The Raiders released Russell in 2010, and although he made multiple comeback attempts, he never made it back into the league. He is considered one of the biggest busts among No. 1 picks in NFL history.

“When you went down to the pro day and you watched him work out, and you watched the players around him before he worked out, and how they responded to him, it was very obvious that this guy is a natural leader.”

-- Raiders coach Lane Kiffin on JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Quinn won awards as the nation’s top quarterback at Notre Dame, and there were great expectations for him as a pro that ultimately went unfulfilled. Quinn was so highly regarded by some that it was thought he could go No. 1 in the draft. But his stock dropped a bit. The concerns were warranted. In 24 games, he completed 54 percent of his passes, with 12 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. He currently works as a football broadcaster.

"This is the day that is probably going to go down as the day the fortune of the Browns turn. If we are able to do it, this is going to be one of those steppingstone days."

-- Browns GM Phil Savage after selecting tackle Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the first round

Kevin Kolb

After the Eagles traded Donovan McNabb to clear out the starting position, Kolb’s pro career looked as if it was going to take off when he threw for more than 300 yards in each of his first two starts. But a concussion suffered in the 2010 season opener was the first of three that would lead to the end of his NFL career in 2014.

“What I saw in Kevin was somebody that was in complete control of his offensive scheme. I didn't care as much about the offensive scheme he was running other than he did it very well. I liked the way he was wired, his mobility and his movement in the pocket. I think he's a good, solid person, and I think you can see he has good, solid leadership qualities.”

-- Andy Reid on Kevin Kolb

John Beck

Beck was a finalist for the Davey O’Brien Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award out of BYU, but he could never duplicate his collegiate success in the NFL, going 0-7 with the Dolphins, Ravens, Redskins and Titans. His career ended after a brief stint in the CFL in 2014.

Drew Stanton

Stanton is the most successful of the bunch, with an 8-5 record as a starter, including a win last year for the Cardinals over the 49ers in which he threw for two touchdowns. He was a hyped standout at Michigan State whose play didn’t quite match the hype. But he’s the last man standing. Every other quarterback in this draft was done throwing passes by the end of the 2012 season.

Trent Edwards

Drafted out of Stanford, Edwards made 33 starts over five seasons, including 14 for the Bills in 2008. He eventually lost his job to Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2010 and made one start the rest of his career (with the Jaguars). He threw his last two passes as a backup with the Eagles in 2012.

Isaiah Stanback

Stanback, a star quarterback at Washington, never played that position in the NFL. He spent time with the Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks, Giants and Jaguars, making five catches in 12 games. His final NFL game was in 2009, but he hunted around the league until just before the 2013 season.

Jeff Rowe

Rowe was picked out of Nevada but couldn’t get on the field for the three teams he played for -- the Bengals, Seahawks and Patriots -- the last of which cut him in 2010.

Troy Smith

Smith won the Heisman Trophy at Ohio State in 2006 but was not viewed highly as a prospect due to his lack of size. He made eight starts between the Ravens and 49ers but was out of the NFL at the end of the 2010 season. He played in both the United League and the CFL (for the Montreal Alouettes). His career ended during the 2014 season.

Jordan Palmer

Palmer, the younger brother of Carson Palmer, bounced around as a backup for six NFL teams from 2007 to 2014 after a successful career at UTEP. He threw 18 total passes with two interceptions. He has since become a quarterback coach, training (among others) Clemson’s DeShaun Watson.

Tyler Thigpen

Thigpen, then the top quarterback at Coastal Carolina, was picked by the Vikings, then claimed off waivers by the Chiefs. In 2008, injuries led to his making 11 starts with the Chiefs, but things didn’t go well. He went 1-10 as a starter. He made one start in the next five seasons, losing it with the Dolphins in 2010. His last NFL appearance came in 2012, though he was briefly with the Browns in 2014.

What could have been

In the case of each of the first three quarterbacks, the player drafted immediately afterward made a significant impact. Calvin Johnson was the No. 2 pick by the Lions after Russell. His career ended with 83 touchdown receptions (22nd all-time). Dwayne Bowe was selected 23rd overall by the Chiefs, one spot behind Quinn. He currently has 44 touchdown receptions in a largely successful career. Defensive back Eric Weddle, taken 37th overall, one spot after Kolb, was a nine-year starter and four-time Pro Bowler.

The ugly numbers

The Elias Sports Bureau notes that excluding the 2012 to 2016 draft classes (for small sample size):

The 2007 draft class of quarterbacks made 139 starts, the fewest by a draft class since 1996 (115).

The class's 47 wins are the fewest since the NFL and AFL started their common draft in 1967. Next fewest: 48 in 1996.

Pro Football Reference has an approximate value stat that measures a player's overall worth. Russell finished his career with an approximate value of 6. The only QB taken No. 1 overall in the common draft era (since 1967) with a lower draft value is Jared Goff(minus-2), whose career began last season.

Russell and Quinn were each their team’s primary starter for two years. There were 71 players selected in this draft that were their team’s primary starter at a position for more than two years.

It is a very reasonable argument to say that nine-year running back Ahmad Bradshaw had a more successful career than any of the quarterbacks selected in that draft (most notably those in the top 100). Bradshaw was selected 250th by the Giants in a draft that lasted 255 picks.

Wow, that's a horrendous list.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Honestly, I think Gruden's QB Camps have had a big impact on peoples perceptions of these kids nowadays. For better or worse, he gets some lesser known prospects in the public eye in an interesting way. I am not saying that he swings any teams opinions, as I know they have plenty of tape and have interviewed these same kids, but he gives the fan more insight than maybe we had prior. I have to admit I love those episodes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know I'm a Notre Dame homer and tend to over rate the players but I completely agree. I don't think he has @jrry32 "mental acuity". He is a 1 read qb and had difficulty looking for 2nd option and was wildly inaccurate.
He's got some skills but unfortunately his running (which opened up the field for him) won't be nearly the benefit it was at ND. I rank them 1) Trubisky 2) Watson 3) Mahomes