The Dex 68 yard TD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not picking on JJ guys. Just throwing out scenarios. :)
I agree that JJ was likely doing what he was supposed to.

But...schematically...
Why wouldn't JJ just stick to his man there? Its 1st and 10 and the entire field has been compromised due to a bad defensive call. Dallas was in max protect so just let your safety handle the other guy while your LB's retreat back in to help.
Switching Dez off to your deep safety gives the QB a window. McLeod cant run with Dez anyway.

That's the thing, it doesn't. Romo's back injury has resulted in him losing velocity on his deeper passes. He's never had a strong arm. He doesn't have the arm to hit that window. With McLeod playing the deep middle third, he can undercut Dez running the post and pick it off. Romo's only option is throwing a jump ball for Bryant down the field.

Why did Jenkins do what he did? The best explanation aside from explaining his responsibilities on the play is this...by doing what he did, he set himself up to pick off Romo if Romo attempted to throw to Williams. And knowing Romo's tendencies, he was baiting Romo to make that throw. If McLeod had been where he was supposed to be, there's a very strong chance that Romo tries to force it in there and Jenkins gets his second pick of the day.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, If I heard him correctly, Fisher said there were at least 4 Blown or Missed calls!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
upload_2014-9-25_15-24-48.png

upload_2014-9-25_15-27-7.png

upload_2014-9-25_15-26-2.png

ANy questions?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's the thing, it doesn't. Romo's back injury has resulted in him losing velocity on his deeper passes. He's never had a strong arm. He doesn't have the arm to hit that window. With McLeod playing the deep middle third, he can undercut Dez running the post and pick it off. Romo's only option is throwing a jump ball for Bryant down the field.

Why did Jenkins do what he did? The best explanation aside from explaining his responsibilities on the play is this...by doing what he did, he set himself up to pick off Romo if Romo attempted to throw to Williams. And knowing Romo's tendencies, he was baiting Romo to make that throw. If McLeod had been where he was supposed to be, there's a very strong chance that Romo tries to force it in there and Jenkins gets his second pick of the day.
Thanks for the in depth analysis. Makes sense, although i still disagree with the contention that a switch off on a post route in that situation doesn't create a window...vs one on one coverage....even taking into consideration the angle.
Romo isn't what he used to be, but he isn't Shaun Hill all of a sudden.

I just felt that with two routes developing on that particular play, you let your top corner(who's running with the top WR) finish the coverage on a post. If you give up a 15 yd play underneath waiting for the safety to come down i'd take that over a switch on a broken play defensively.

Appreciate the feedback though Jrry. I trust your knowledge.
JJ did what he was asked to do. I just question the strategy. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Doesn't matter at this point. Hopefully that blunder will be the last between these two guys.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I still don't think he know enough to know if JJ was baiting Romo. It was 1st and 10, run heavy formation, Cowboys sent only 2 receivers in pattern, so in a 2 route pattern, not sure JJ is baiting anyone. I do think Willimans demands a deep safety in every case, except cover-0 which we've not seen. SOMONE has MOF. No way it could be JJ. If McLeod does abandon it, then someone from other side would have to take it, and in this instance the SS was at LOS . . . so I doubt that. The near side defenders were doing nothing because no one threatened them . . . 2 of the LBers were racing to get back once they say it was play action . .. I wish we could take to coaches about this, it's full of begged questions.

Athos

Legend
I'm just starting to believe that officials, particularly when the Rams play, are just an extension of our opponents offensive line.

Why call the hold on your own team?

Beginning to hate the GD NFL.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Still can't believe the officiating in that game,it's hard enough to win games in the NFL as it is but to get robbed like that is a damm shame.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Due to the holding etc, the pass rush isn't getting enough pressure to stop that. At some point a team with the lead needs to stop gambling and not blitz so much. Sack City is a dud so far. JJ has played well this year.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The NFL is losing credibility with me and I have been a fan for 40 years. I know the Rams made some bad plays but the I firmly believe the bad calls ultimately did more to decide the game than the Rams miscues. Sims actually gets a sack because no one from the Dallas line is there to hold him and then then the refs call him for holding. The ignored holding against Langford and the phantom hold on Sims sickens me. I usually try to let these things slide but this is just bad on many levels. The replacement refs during the strike have nothing on these guys from the Dallas Rams games. The replacement refs were only incompetent, last Sundays crew may have cheated on top of being incompetent. The fact that they are not being held accountable burns me and is another incident that further erodes the NFL's credibility with this fan.

I was on the bad end of very biased officiating when I wrestled in high school so I know what it looks like. I was at a high school wrestling tournament and it was a first round match going against the son of the opposing team's coach who happened to be very close friends of the ref for the match. I did win the match but I was one call away from being disqualified and I only won by 2 points. I was the vet wrestler with over 50 matches under my belt, first seed in my weight class and he was the 8th (last) seed who only had a handful of other matches under his belt. Its one of those matches where you expect to win and I handled him easily enough but because of the bogus penalty points against me and the ref stopping the match every time I got the advantage it was much closer than it should have been. After the match I can still recall (31 years later) numerous people including angry parents who had their sons wrestling for other teams who saw the match come up to me and comment on the bad officiating. That ref was never held accountable and he also cheated my older brother out of win too. Needless to say I have a sore spot for dishonest officiating. It really gets my goat.

Bad and biased officiating takes away the integrity of any sport and the NFL should take it seriously.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but the bad officiating in this game does really bother me. Back to the OP, the play should have been called back for a offensive hold nullifying the TD but that still does not excuse McLeod's mistake. As others have postulated, if McLeod had stayed back the Rams may have been able to get an INT instead, however if that had happened the refs would have probably flagged the Rams for some BS roughing the passer or defensive holding call.

Last edited:

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
@Prime Time well yesterday around midnight instead of the rams vs cowboy pictures that I was expecting, there was explicit pictures on the OP post. I even cleared my history and cookies on my phone to make sure it wasn't me, lol. I checked back on here again and they were still there. I woke up this morning to check again to see if anybody else saw what I saw, but the explicit pictures are now gone.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I still see them Killgasm. Here's to not getting fired for visiting a Rams forum.

Blue and Gold, where are you linking those pics from?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Pretty sickening , sometimes I think the league is afraid of what our d-line can do and are not calling the holding calls to proactively protect QB's.