The Defense had a bad day but the Refs tilted the scales

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Pretty big "if" there ...
This kind of arbitrariness imo has characterized Goodell's regime. I think the TruJo penalty was a direct result of the Pittsburgh Cincinnati debacle on Monday night, and strongly suspect that the league Office instructed the refs not to allow any semblance of trash talking or taunting. One of a series of things under Goodell where after something obviously bad happens, they throw the book at everyone, regardless of guilt or fairness or due process.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Make it so.

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

There is enough time in between plays for someone onsite to review each penalty and it still wouldn't add much time to a game. 45 seconds from when the ball is spotted, plus the time from when the ref blows the whistle. It's about a minute. It could be done.

Stop the snap before the next play and correct the call regardless of what the 45 second play clock has gone down to.

The worry would be that the offense would get the ball and snap it quickly to avoid the call coming back. That's mainly why I'd like to have a ref review the call really quickly before they announce it. That way they can simply say "There was no foul on the play" and be done with it. Game moves on at the same speed of current games, no additional backing up, etc.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Third and long deep pass to Alston. TruJo gets his head around and plays the ball with a nice deflection. Not good enough he gets hit with dpi that even the announcers say was questionable. Philly gets 7 free points.
Free 7 points? They got the ball on the 40 yard line. That's gimme territory?? And it wasnt a BS call, its what happens on underthrown balls when the DB doesnt look back. It was total PI.
Sullivan was holding.
Blah blah blah....
Tru pushed Jeffrey, bullshidt call, but if they were warned repeatedly, he's got to know better.
Philly had 10 penalties, were any of them BS?? I'll ask a Philly fan....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The taunting PF was terrible and cost us 4 points and cost the Eagles Wentz.

The leverage penalty was horrible and cost us over a minute off the clock, so it wasn't irrelevant.
These two calls were complete nonsense. Calls made like the taunting PF could be called a few times per game in every game every week in the NFL....but it isn't. Why? Maybe because it's an easy way to control momentum and outcome when the ref decides to throw the flag in certain situations.

They've been doing it with the holding calls for years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The refs didn’t give up 29 first downs, 455 yards of total offense and weren’t the ones who couldn’t keep Nick Friggin Foles from making 1st downs.
I'll give you this one. This is where the ultimate fail was yesterday IMO.

But dude, that was an extremely poorly officiated game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll give you this one. This is where the ultimate fail was yesterday IMO.

But dude, that was an extremely poorly officiated game.
And had the Rams held on, Philly would have been crying too. They were penalized quite a bit too. Problem is that they overcame their penalties

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I get the human aspect and know they arent and wont be perfect. But just be fucking consistent if its a hold when the guy in white does it then it should be a hold when the guy in green does it. If its PI when the guy in white breaks up a pass and makes contact with WR while doing so, then it should be PI when the guy in green does the same thing.

Officiating today reminds me of a saying I learned quite a few years ago,"the truth never changes". So why do are penalties over looked for 1 team and ticky tacky crap gets on the other. Obviously officiating isnt being done honostly.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I get the human aspect and know they arent and wont be perfect. But just be freaking consistent

That's the number #1 problem with officiating as far as I'm concerned, and utter lack of consistency. There is little consistency between the different crews, there is little consistency to how they call games from one to the next, and there is little consistency between how one team is penalized relative to another.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Better training and add 2 or 3 more refs on the field. Agree on having new York being able to overrule obvious bad calls like the the leverage call which took time off the clock that the rams could have used on their last drive to kick the winning fg

The pi on Tru I thought was bad because you can have your hand, not sure how much of your arm, on a receiver as long as you're not changing his direction or impeding him from his route with your grabbing. Dbs have their arms around waists all the time. Plus Tru looked back to the ball.

The taughnting penalty however was all Tru. As other posters have said I was talking nicely to the tv saying just back off Tru, dont get a penalty. And this was without knowing he had already been warned. And thats the difference. Whether you think it was a bullshit penalty to call as a ref, and I do, Tru was warned, so continuing to do it was just asking for a flag. I don't give a shit about what the other guy is doing. Everyone knows its usually the 2nd guy reacting that draws the attention. You just had a big 3rd down stop so let that play do your talking. Tell alshon he can go sit on the bench and think about why he can't beat you.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Admit it, if you score 35 you should win the game. The O scored 28, which is usually enough to win a game with a good D.

The defense had a bad day.

But.........today we saw one of the biggest reasons fans are tuning out and getting tired of the NFL. Officiating is crap-worthy. Just terrible, as in WTF.

I rarely complain about the refs because they are usually not very good, sometimes they are bad.

Today they were horrible, just freaking horrible.

15 yards and a first down on TJohnson was horrific........that was nothing more than two players talking. And if you watch the play the WR comes up and gives him a slight headbutt yet the call goes against the Rams. That was crap.

Critical drive for the Eagles and AO gets held so badly while they get a first down I was SURE a flag would be thrown, but nothing.

The difference today was bad calls. Two well matched teams didn't win or lose by a play made or not made by players, or which QB was better, or what guy out-coached the other guy.

The difference was bad calls by the officials.

Again, I really NEVER complain about the refs, but the game today was decided by bad non-calls and calls that were just plain stupid.

The NFL has to do something about the refs. If Goodell had a clue he would bust that union by kicking them out and do what the league wanted to do in the first place.

It's just time to fix this problem.

Fans can cry all they want. Tru had that first pI call to set up Eagles firstTD. BS call- excellent play by Tru. The personal foul call is all on Tru !! Stay the Fuck away. From that especially after being warned. Play football!!

The hold on AD was bad , but those get missed. The bottom line is the Rams lost.