The Defense had a bad day but the Refs tilted the scales

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
29 first downs given up to Philly.

Damn near 40 minutes time of possesion allowed.

No consistent pressure on either QB, which leads to the above.

As we saw today, the Rams do not have a playoff caliber defense. Merely an adequate one whose deficiencies can be somewhat masked when the offense generates enough of a lead.

Still, been just an outstanding year so far with the offense nearly phenomenal....much better than I hoped for.

It is all gravy the rest of the way.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I think we were beaten by a better team on the day. Considering the Eagles are regarded as one of the best teams in the NFL , we went toe to toe with them and were unfortunate to lose. We will learn from this loss. We can beat them next time.

please please please be the NFC Championship game!

Go Rams!!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Coaches should be able to use one of their challenges to challenge a crappy call.
Kick it up to the head referee in the studios and let him overrule/confirm it.

But that'll never happen, so this was a waste of font.
It's just strange how it is set up.
You can challenge things like a catch, spot, fumble etc. judgement calls on the field for some things but not others.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Well they spied on them and held Marshal coming out of the back field every play they could.
But yes, that is my response.
I would rather think about things in a way that make sense.

The league office is shitting itself right now because Wentz is probably done. Does that make sense?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry I just don't agree about the Refs today... they werent great.

The hold on sullivan was close enough to be a hold (eventhough i made a thread awhile back about all the bad holding calls)

tree's pi was obvious... tru's wasnt as bad but enough to get called 3/4 times.

It's hard for me to say the taunting penalty was bad when i was yelling at the TV for Tru to get away from him and then i saw the flag... saw it coming.

The leverage penalty call was horrible.. but they got the fg either way.

It's only close enough to be a hold if you're calling it tight. They did not call it tight on the other side.

Tru's PI was garbage. He got his head around and batted it down. That's not PI. Tree's PI was illegal contact at most. He bumped the TE.

The taunting PF was terrible and cost us 4 points and cost the Eagles Wentz.

The leverage penalty was horrible and cost us over a minute off the clock, so it wasn't irrelevant.

It was a horrendously one-sided game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The defense beat themselves with stupid decisions that led to penalties, and the refs seemed to me to be decidedly one-sided in their game-changing calls. But they also got beat on a lot of plays, far more than they should have in order to consider themselves a great defense.

Losing Web sucked. But then again Hill did a pretty good job too though. Sometimes you just get beat by the other team, and that's what happened to our defense on too many occasions today.

Now they need to go into Seattle and do the job they should have done today and get themselves off the MFing field enough to come out of there with the W.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have just accepted the fact that the refs are going to suck every game and just try to deal with it the best I can. Watch them in every game they suck and are ruining the game. It is hard to understand how the NFL can not come up with competent refs for this multi billion dollar business.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Refs are gonna ref.
Every fan of every team has these same complaints.

Wanna take human error out of the equation entirely? Then make it all decided by smart computers connected to cameras looking at every player on every snap simultaneously.

Flags on every play.
EVERY play.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If the refs call a good game, I think the Rams come away with a win, and somewhat of a comfortable one at that.

Also I think all penalties thrown should be quickly reviewed to check accuracy.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Refs are gonna ref.

Wanna take human error out of the equation entirely? Then make it all decided by smart computers connected to cameras looking at every player on every snap simultaneously.

Flags on every play.
EVERY play.
So similiar to the Steelers ravens game tonight?
Don't dare be reasonable after a loss.
Have had too many of these conversation with pissy parents of 14 year olds after games.
No, no the refs don't care who wins. They are inept.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Could've been avoided.

It wasn't what Trumaine Johnson said, it was how he said. Why does he need to go and rub it all over Alshon Jeffery's face (get your mind out the gutter :poop:) (n)

Samson Ebukam doesn't need to People's Elbow the runner when two of his teammates already have him down. (n)

The only one I can give you is the "leverage" thing, which the entire football world saw that was bs. But the Rams still had a chance to win, and didn't capitalize on it.

But the first two basically kept the Eagles in it, and shouldn't have really been in it. Uncharacteristic today, as they play pretty clean.

Edit...and the Steelers overcome plenty of calls that didn't go their way and end up winning the game.

The Rams didn't have discipline today.

Last edited:

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Philly got flagged 10 times. Without those calls, God only knows how many first down they would have converted.

In any event, like the other losses this year, the Rams went into the 4qt with a good chance to win. But, the NFL's second youngest team got outplayed and out coached during crunch time.

They've always bounced back after a loss and I bet the wretched sea vultures will have their season ruined this Sunday.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm sorry but the tuanting call on tru was not a terrible call.. it's not a call that HAS to be made.. but its not terrible.

Some of you aint be real.. because how many of you were worried he was going to get a taunting call there when he was standing over him jawing... it was a terrible mistake by trumaine.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Refs are gonna ref.

Flags on every play.
EVERY play.

Such a system with competent AI and properly articulated algorithms wouldn’t call a penalty on every play.

Self-driving cars can find there way even without marked roads.

As always, the devil is in the details...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry but the tuanting call on tru was not a terrible call.. it's not a call that HAS to be made.. but its not terrible.

Some of you aint be real.. because how many of you were worried he was going to get a taunting call there when he was standing over him jawing... it was a terrible mistake by trumaine.

the words that came out of my mouth were - stop talking to him you bozo.

then the flag came out. that's when a multitude of expletives left my mouth. can't stand selfish players. can't win with them.

TexasRam

Legend
Instead of blaming the refs I have a better solution that makes the team better:

How about if you are Tru you play smarter in a big game:
1 Get your hand in the correct position so you don't get called for PI. Hand on players back is not how you play good technique in the NFL. You are not a rookie.
2 Stop getting in a WR face. Don't even talk to him. It's a bad habit that will eventually cost your team. After you beat your man run to the sideline and high five the other multitudes of teammates and coaches and then sit your ass down on the pine for a job well done.

Yes the refs made some bad calls, but we can control those things if we don't give them a reason to throw a flag in the first place.
We should be 10-3 right now with the #2 seed locked up. Now we are in a must win game in Seattle because our veterans are still playing like rookies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Refs are gonna ref.
Every fan of every team has these same complaints..

Not every fan of every team. Eagles fans aren't complaining about the refs today. This is the first game I have complained about the refs for a Rams game. The first Seattle game had too many penalties but they were consistent on both sides.

I was yelling for him to stop too, but only because I didn't want it to turn into a fight. That unsportsmanlike penalty was awful. That much gnawing happens in every game without a call.

What made the officiating look one sided was the bad calls, or made up calls against the Rams at key moments when the Eagles' drive ended and a punt was coming. Tru's UP, his Interference penalty. Donald's penalty on the field goal which wasted valuable time, the in the grasp call when it should have been illegal touching and moved them out of the kickers range.

The defense made the plays and the refs took them away. Tru interference was perfect execution, they forced Roles into a bad throw or he would have been sacked to move them out of field goal range. Tru made a good play on Alshon only to be erased be cause he was gnawing with him. They made the plays when they had to.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm sick of the officials. I'm more sick of our guys being stupid and putting these incompetent individuals wearing stripes in the position to throw flags at them. The Rams took stupid penalties and compounded that with some bad play. The D got lit up today and the offense couldn't put up enough points to overcome that. That game was there for the taking and the Rams gave it up.
I just got back to the Bay Area and I'm still pi$$ed off about it...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That in the grasp call had me so befuddled. Will never understand how they came up with that call. He threw it just as he was being hit. Ref the game but don't make up shit for no reason.