The Defense had a bad day but the Refs tilted the scales

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Admit it, if you score 35 you should win the game. The O scored 28, which is usually enough to win a game with a good D.

The defense had a bad day.

But.........today we saw one of the biggest reasons fans are tuning out and getting tired of the NFL. Officiating is shit-worthy. Just terrible, as in WTF.

I rarely complain about the refs because they are usually not very good, sometimes they are bad.

Today they were horrible, just fucking horrible.

15 yards and a first down on TJohnson was horrific........that was nothing more than two players talking. And if you watch the play the WR comes up and gives him a slight headbutt yet the call goes against the Rams. That was shit.

Critical drive for the Eagles and AO gets held so badly while they get a first down I was SURE a flag would be thrown, but nothing.

The difference today was bad calls. Two well matched teams didn't win or lose by a play made or not made by players, or which QB was better, or what guy out-coached the other guy.

The difference was bad calls by the officials.

Again, I really NEVER complain about the refs, but the game today was decided by bad non-calls and calls that were just plain stupid.

The NFL has to do something about the refs. If Goodell had a clue he would bust that union by kicking them out and do what the league wanted to do in the first place.

It's just time to fix this problem.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Admit it, if you score 35 you should win the game. The O scored 28, which is usually enough to win a game with a good D.

But.........today we saw one of the biggest reasons fans are tuning out and getting tired of the NFL. Officiating is crap-worthy. Just terrible, as in WTF.

I rarely complain about the refs because they are usually not very good, sometimes they are bad.

Today they were horrible, just freaking horrible.

15 yards and a first down on TJohnson was horrific........that was nothing more than two players talking. And if you watch the play the WR comes up and gives him a slight headbutt yet the call goes against the Rams. That was crap.

Critical drive for the Eagles and AO gets held so badly while they get a first down I was SURE a flag would be thrown, but nothing.

The difference today was bad calls. Two well matched teams didn't win or lose by a play made or not made by players, or which QB was better, or what guy out-coached the other guy.

Again, I really NEVER complain about the refs, but the game today was decided by bad non-calls and calls that were just plain stupid.

The NFL has to do something about the refs. If Goodell had a clue he would bust that union by kicking them out and do what the league wanted to do in the first place.

I know you don't blame the refs because your usually to busy telling me the call was justified lol

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Pretty big "if" there ...
Goodell is paid to make the owners money. The TV pot is split between all teams. Philly (spit, eff you Juby) has a bigger TV market than the Rams. More money for the league. The NFL is slightly better than professional wrestling and any boxing match organized by Don King.

fearsomefour

Legend

But.........today we saw one of the biggest reasons fans are tuning out and getting tired of the NFL. Officiating is crap-worthy. Just terrible, as in WTF.

Today they were horrible, just freaking horrible.

15 yards and a first down on TJohnson was horrific........that was nothing more than two players talking. And if you watch the play the WR comes up and gives him a slight headbutt yet the call goes against the Rams. That was crap.

And how do you fix it?
The game is loaded with flags now that are judgement calls. Judgement calls made at very fast speeds usually from less than ideal angles.
Firstly reducing the rule book by 50% would help. But isent realistic. A game with 22 players on the field with different restrictions related to position and play and game clocks? No way to really have a small rule book.
A different grading system for refs? Ok I guess. But how would that deliver better results?
The only thing that frustrates me is the wildly inconsistent holding calls/non calls.
Outside of that they usually are not too terrible.
The worst part of the game now are the defenseless receiver and roughing flags. Almost always nonsense. Again, a judgement at high speed where offensive players allowed to break the rule and lower their heads.
I don't see a fix really.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Remember when the refs went on strike?

First week was awful, but by week 3, the replacements were starting to settle in. Then the refs union settled.

I think it’s cowardice that the refs union can’t take the slightest bit of criticism.

The most a team can do is get an apology from the league. “Sorry that call made you miss the playoffs. Kthxbai”

This sport is too violent, requires too much commitment and sacrifice to have every single call not be subject to review.

And why limit reviews? I say give unlimited reviews and you can get three wrong. That way penalties can be reviewed.

fearsomefour

Legend
Goodell is paid to make the owners money. The TV pot is split between all teams. Philly (spit, eff you Juby) has a bigger TV market than the Rams. More money for the league. The NFL is slightly better than professional wrestling and any boxing match organized by Don King.
Well, that was delusional.

fearsomefour

Legend

First week was awful, but by week 3, the replacements were starting to settle in. Then the refs union settled.

I think it’s cowardice that the refs union can’t take the slightest bit of criticism.

The most a team can do is get an apology from the league. “Sorry that call made you miss the playoffs. Kthxbai”

This sport is too violent, requires too much commitment and sacrifice to have every single call not be subject to review.

And why limit reviews? I say give unlimited reviews and you can get three wrong. That way penalties can be reviewed.
All the calls are reviewed and the refs graded.
So, 5 hour games with endless delays sounds like fun? The flags slow the game down now.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
A different grading system for refs?

It might highlight with refs and which crews are bad. They should definitely be graded for consistency, and calls they miss should also be heavily factored in.

fearsomefour

Legend

The refs are babies about criticism
Truth is maybe there is some magical way to replace the refs with perfect autotrons.
But, even then accounting for things like s blocker establishing hand position and a defending turning his body sideways and the blocker not giving up his hand position...:looks like holding....is not.
There just is no way.

fearsomefour

Legend
It might highlight with refs and which crews are bad. They should definitely be graded for consistency, and calls they miss should also be heavily factored in.
Problem is bad defined how?
Not calling holds that are disputable?
Obvious play clock issues or bad roughness calls?
Too many moving parts.
Different crews call different ways which is weird too.

Ellard80

Legend
Sorry I just don't agree about the Refs today... they werent great.

The hold on sullivan was close enough to be a hold (eventhough i made a thread awhile back about all the bad holding calls)

tree's pi was obvious... tru's wasnt as bad but enough to get called 3/4 times.

It's hard for me to say the taunting penalty was bad when i was yelling at the TV for Tru to get away from him and then i saw the flag... saw it coming.

The leverage penalty call was horrible.. but they got the fg either way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coaches should be able to use one of their challenges to challenge a shitty call.
Kick it up to the head referee in the studios and let him overrule/confirm it.

But that'll never happen, so this was a waste of font.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Well, that was delusional.

After watching the refs in this game that's your response? LOL! Whatever dude. I guess it was just happenstance that the Cheatriots knew what plays the Rams were going to run in the 2001 Superbowl?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
And how do you fix it?
The game is loaded with flags now that are judgement calls. Judgement calls made at very fast speeds usually from less than ideal angles.
Firstly reducing the rule book by 50% would help. But isent realistic. A game with 22 players on the field with different restrictions related to position and play and game clocks? No way to really have a small rule book.
A different grading system for refs? Ok I guess. But how would that deliver better results?
The only thing that frustrates me is the wildly inconsistent holding calls/non calls.
Outside of that they usually are not too terrible.
The worst part of the game now are the defenseless receiver and roughing flags. Almost always nonsense. Again, a judgement at high speed where offensive players allowed to break the rule and lower their heads.
I don't see a fix really.

The way you fix it is with full-time refs that train together in the off-season and specify how to call a game consistently.

We compare wins and losses all the time, but we’re comparing apples and oranges. How different is a game when the refs let them play versus calling a tight game? How different is it when a crew gets a bunch of calls wrong or misses obvious calls?

The refereeing must be uniform in order for the contests to be comparable and teams to be able to compete throughout the season.

It’s no different if the teams found out at kickoff that this week it’s Canadian rules, next week it’s Rugby rules, next week it’s loose NFL rules. Wins don’t mean anything if the rules are different which isn’t much different than the rules being inconsistently applied.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
All the calls are reviewed and the refs graded.
So, 5 hour games with endless delays sounds like fun? The flags slow the game down now.

That’s not how it would play out. Coaches don’t throw even one challenge most games.

I’d rather the folks in NY be willing to overrule a call if there is obviously something missed or the call is wrong.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Todays game no doubt had questionable call we made some bad judgement calls too. I am trying to come to terms as I do after big losses and I have to say. If we play again no way do we have this many things go wrong which means we will have a good chance to win.
Lets get as healthy as we can kick the pigeons but and take a 2 game lead with 2 to go.

fearsomefour

Legend
After watching the refs in this game that's your response? LOL! Whatever dude. I guess it was just happenstance that the Cheatriots knew what plays the Rams were going to run in the 2001 Superbowl?
Well they spied on them and held Marshal coming out of the back field every play they could.
But yes, that is my response.
I would rather think about things in a way that make sense.