The deck was stacked against the Rams in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know it has only been one game that they looked like a steamy pile but it looks a lot like what we all should have expected.

The move to LA put them behind every other team in the league when it comes to off season programs. Its just a fact that goes along with the move and we should all have recognized it would be a problem.

Add to that the poison of Hard Knocks, I hate that show and what it attempts to do. I attribute bad attitudes and no leadership to playing to the cameras and think it can do nothing but harm to any team that participates.

Two strike for a team that is already trying to rebuild its defensive leadership, find a QB for this year and the future as well as finding its place in the LA market.

It should not be surprising with what we know about Fisher and slow starts along with these other factors. They might correct pieces of the team throughout the year but I am changing my expectations to think this is probably a throw away year, there isn't a damn thing I can do about it and I'm sick and tired of this shit from a team I have supported for more than 40 years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The move to LA put them behind every other team in the league when it comes to off season programs. Its just a fact that goes along with the move and we should all have recognized it would be a problem.

Ehh, the move was announced in January. Off-season programs didn't start until May. That's plenty of time to move. Not like the players had to move their own equipment or pack anything up.

Add to that the poison of Hard Knocks, I hate that show and what it attempts to do. I attribute bad attitudes and no leadership to playing to the cameras and think it can do nothing but harm to any team that participates.

Hard Knocks is just entertainment. It's the same exact concept every year. Besides, it didn't hurt the Texans or Jets when they were on it.

It should not be surprising with what we know about Fisher and slow starts along with these other factors. They might correct pieces of the team throughout the year but I am changing my expectations to think this is probably a throw away year, there isn't a damn thing I can do about it and I'm sick and tired of this crap from a team I have supported for more than 40 years.

They didn't start of slow last year, or in 2012 and 2013. Just once, in 2014 and even that team didn't unravel until the 2nd half. Then Monday night.

I sincerely hope this isn't a "throw away" year. They have no pick next year. They have built to win now, in 2016. Whether it be with Jared Goff, Case Keenum, John Cena, Tony Stark, Captain America, whoever.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
If they stayed in the Lou, their offense might have scored 3 points yesterday This is a system failure, not a relocation failure. Kennum has no business being a starter, Rod Boras has no business being a coordinator, and most importantly Jeff Fisher has no business being a HC. The Rams are going nowhere under this regime, nowhere.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
My old HS football coach used to say "Losers make excuses". If the Rams would have won, there would be no need for this post. In todays NFL, its inexcusable after preparing the whole offseason to not score points week one. Furthermore, how do they let Kelly's offense, which basically runs the same 8 plays over and over, put up 28 points on Fisher/Williams defense??

Oh, and BTW, Fisher is the one coach that has experience in moving a NFL franchise. Perhaps the thinking at the top was flawed to think Fisher could manage through the challenges.

…..

Legend
Excuses. The way the team looked, its natural to start adding up the excuses. Everyone knew going in that we were in rare circumstance so you do whatever you need to overcome. Everything else that does not equal overcoming adversity equals excuses to me.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think any of that outside stuff has much if anything to do with it. What is disturbing is what a 49er defender told Steve Wyche. The 49ers knew what the Rams route tree was by the alignment and backfield motion. If Boras is that predictable, what hope does any quarterback have in that offense?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ehh, the move was announced in January. Off-season programs didn't start until May. That's plenty of time to move. Not like the players had to move their own equipment or pack anything up.

Hard Knocks is just entertainment. It's the same exact concept every year. Besides, it didn't hurt the Texans or Jets when they were on it.

They didn't start of slow last year, or in 2012 and 2013. Just once, in 2014 and even that team didn't unravel until the 2nd half. Then Monday night.

I sincerely hope this isn't a "throw away" year. They have no pick next year. They have built to win now, in 2016. Whether it be with Jared Goff, Case Keenum, John Cena, Tony Stark, Captain America, whoever.
There is a lot more to the move and how it affected the team than just getting to LA. They did not have their own facilities and getting settled then moving from place to place will have some effect on their ability to prepare.

I don't think there is anyway to quantify the distraction of being involved with Hard Knocks other than it obviously is a distraction that would not be there if they were not involved, it matters.

I agree they seemed to be built to progress into a contender this year, after Monday I'm not holding my breathe.

2012 2-2 and 3-5-1 after 9 games
2013 1-3 and then 3-6
2014 1-4 and again 3-6
2015 2-2 and then 4-5

Not a good start in any of the Fisher years

tahoe

Pro Bowler
That's just a bunch of excuses, they weren't mentally or physically prepared and that is solely on the coaches and players.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The fact is, the whiners put up 28 with Kerley, Gabbert, and Hyde.

The Rams got blanked. Coaching is a dud.

Todd59

Rookie
Deck stacked nothing. Players often don't live in the same city they play in during the offseason anyway. Moving training camp from MO to CA shouldn't have made a difference. The facts remain that this coaching staff has been in control for 5 years and have turned a bad team into a slightly less bad (maybe) team. The team simply was not ready to play. They still have no functioning offense, and they had almost as many penalty yards as passing yards. That's on coaching, plain and simple.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There is a lot more to the move and how it affected the team than just getting to LA. They did not have their own facilities and getting settled then moving from place to place will have some effect on their ability to prepare.

I don't agree here. They weren't in teh playoffs last year. Literally 2 weeks after the last game ended the move was announced. And based off reports on how this was planned earlier, I doubt they started negotiating for facilities after the announcements. I'm sure they had things in line and ready to go. 4 months is plenty of time to move and get settled close to where the facility is. I wish I had 4 months to move.

I don't think there is anyway to quantify the distraction of being involved with Hard Knocks other than it obviously is a distraction that would not be there if they were not involved, it matters.

These are young or grown ass men. If they are distracted by reality cameras, there is something seriously wrong with them mentally.

Not a good start in any of the Fisher years

Well, there are a bunch of factors that attributed to those, but that's a topic for another day. I'm talking game one. Monday's dud was the only one of the type, except 2nd half vs Vikings.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with @JerseyRam1's coach losers make excuses ... I used to play rugby at a high level as a kid/teen/young adult ... And our coach said its ok losing (after making us run laps for losing;)) ... It's how you lose that matters .... The Rams bent over for the niners on Monday night and the niners obliged us by rodgering the crap outta us ....that's what annoys me more than anything we went to their place and we rolled over ... It can't happen again Fisher !

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't agree here. They weren't in teh playoffs last year. Literally 2 weeks after the last game ended the move was announced. And based off reports on how this was planned earlier, I doubt they started negotiating for facilities after the announcements. I'm sure they had things in line and ready to go. 4 months is plenty of time to move and get settled close to where the facility is. I wish I had 4 months to move.

These are young or grown ass men. If they are distracted by reality cameras, there is something seriously wrong with them mentally.

Well, there are a bunch of factors that attributed to those, but that's a topic for another day. I'm talking game one. Monday's dud was the only one of the type, except 2nd half vs Vikings.

OK I get where you are coming from.

How many other teams dealt with moving the franchise this off season? None they were in their same routine unless they changed teams. There is no way they could be on a level playing field because of this alone.

If anything having the cameras there made them act differently and if the results on the field Monday are any indication, it made them more thugish and less under control. Probably not the only thing that contributed but IMO a contributing factor.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree with @JerseyRam1's coach losers make excuses ... I used to play rugby at a high level as a kid/teen/young adult ... And our coach said its ok losing (after making us run laps for losing;)) ... It's how you lose that matters .... The Rams bent over for the niners on Monday night and the niners obliged us by rodgering the crap outta us ....that's what annoys me more than anything we went to their place and we rolled over ... It can't happen again Fisher !
I have not heard or seen the Rams in any capacity making excuses but these things that happened in the offseason are facts that other teams did not deal with. It is what it is but no one else did those things and no one else looked so shitty in game one.

Hopefully it is out of their system and they improve the rest of the year on a continuing upward arch.

Rodgering like Saffold????:confused:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher said he would not be making excuses for the MNF blowout, and we should all agree with that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I pray the Rams overlooked the whiners. But either way the whiners' defense has us figured out, because they shut down Gurley and company at the end of last year as well.

I also think Kelly is a good offensive mind. Everyone wants to bag on the guy, but like I keep saying his basic philosophies are sound in that spreading out the defense and running into favorable box matchups is winning football. He also keeps things simple for his QBs, and gets flak for it, but it works.

What pi$$es me off is Kelly in year ONE just whooped a roster run by Fisher in year FIVE. Beyond all the other analyses we see out there, this one fact pretty much trumps everything else. Where these teams go from here is what matters, since it was just one game. But it would not surprise me if the whiners end up being a better team than us this year in overall record. In fact I am pretty much expecting it, since their defense is probably better than ours and Kelly is going to get his offense on the board week to week.

Depressing $h!t.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I pray the Rams overlooked the whiners. But either way the whiners' defense has us figured out, because they shut down Gurley and company at the end of last year as well..

Gurley did not play in that game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley did not play in that game.

You're right and I knew that, just typed that all out without thinking it through. But that really is why I am hoping they overlooked the whiners, thinking things would be better this time around, and seeing them as a joke since they were worse than us last year plus had Chip Kelly taking over, who has taken a lot of shots since failing as GM.

My fear of course is that the game result was no mistake, that the whiners are already a better team than us. We'll have to wait and see on that, but I do think they match up well with Carolina too and might upset them this weekend.