The Davis Media Blitz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm getting a little tired of hearing about this woman every day in the news. To my mind her religion is irrelevant, if she couldn't reconcile her beliefs with her job, how does she get to keep the job?
It reminds me of the meme I saw the other day about a cashier telling a customer that she can't sell him condoms due to her religion. Then he's got to take his ham to a third line because the next cashier is Muslim. It seems to me this country goes farther over the top everyday. I work in the beer business, if I told my boss it's against my religious beliefs to serve and make beer do I still get to show up everyday and get paid for nothing?

What say you guys? Do you think a govt employee should be able to refuse a citizens access to legal rights or services due to the beliefs of the govt worker? How about the the right if a private company to force an employee to serve their customers?

Not so much looking for a debate on the beliefs themselves like gay marriage or the pill. That's another matter, just the ability of someone to deny another someone a service.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Best thing to do is never watch the broadcast news of any kind

It's just garbage on every level and doesn't inform anyone of anything

I haven't tunes in for the last 7 years and I've been a lot happier

image.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Simple enough. She has a right to her beliefs. However as an elected official she took an oath to uphold the law. If a law is so offensive to her she can't do her job then she needs to display some character and resign. Or be moved to another job.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Simple enough. She has a right to her beliefs. However as an elected official she took an oath to uphold the law. If a law is so offensive to her she can't do her job then she needs to display some character and resign. Or be moved to another job.

How about the right of a private employee to not perform part of a job? The right of a private employer to force that person to do it?

Myself it's the same both private and govt. If the job is against your beliefs be consistent and leave the job. Just don't watch someone else do it while you stand there and say, "my hands are clean."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are those things you should avoid talking about?

I think you hit two of them!

fearsomefour

Legend
How about the right of a private employee to not perform part of a job? The right of a private employer to force that person to do it?

Myself it's the same both private and govt. If the job is against your beliefs be consistent and leave the job. Just don't watch someone else do it while you stand there and say, "my hands are clean."
A private employee does not have the right to refuse to do part of a job (assuming the job is legal, up to safety standards etc). A person refuses to part of their job they will probably be canned.
My understanding is where she is she is an elected official. She took an oath as an elected official. She is not living up to that. She should be canned. If I were making the call on this I would try to move her to another job, in the interests of finding a resolution that does not have a negative impact on anyone.
I agree that she should have the conviction to quit her job if she finds it that offensive. But, like a lot of things, she probably has a misguided notion of what her rights mean.

MrMotes

Starter
I'm a Hindu who works at McDonald's, so naturally i refuse to serve hamburgers, as is my right...