The Daniel Rodriguez Story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Myles Simmons - Rams Insider
LINK

ArticleAP756248557008.jpg

During rookie orientation at Rams Park a few weeks ago, one wide receiver was with the team on a tryout basis. And after that weekend, the Rams signed the WR to their roster, a fact that still feels surreal toDaniel Rodriguez.

“It’s been incredible, honestly,” Rodriguez said in a recent interview with stlouisrams.com. “Coming here has been something that’s really opened my eyes -- being surrounded by elite athletes and an organization that’s incredible. And I’m just trying to make the most of it.”

At 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, Rodriguez may look like someone who lacks a receiver’s ideal size. But as general manager Les Snead often says, football is much less about positional designations than it is about the individuals playing them. And that is especially true when it comes to Rodriguez.

His story has been well documented -- from an ESPN feature to his own autobiography -- but it bears repeating. He enlisted in the Army following his high school graduation, a decision in part spurred by his father’s sudden death. Rodriguez served two tours -- a 15-month deployment in Iraq, and a 12-month tour in Afghanistan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_LioPzI1o

During that second tour, Rodriguez was one of approximately 60 Americans who fought in the Battle of Kamdesh on Oct. 3, 2009 -- one of the bloodiest incidents in the Afghanistan conflict. Eight American soldiers were killed and 22 more were wounded in the battle; Rodriguez was one of them. With bullet fragments lodged in his shoulder and shrapnel in his neck and legs, he continued to fight for more than 12 hours. Rodriguez was given a Purple Heart and Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device for his actions that day.

But that’s far from where Rodriguez’s story ends. Following his discharge from the Army in 2010, he began working toward another goal: Playing college football.

“After my second deployment in Afghanistan, I had made a promise to a friend that I was going to get out and try to play,” Rodriguez said.

Unfortunately, that friend was killed in combat.

“It was just one of those things where I felt that if I had any purpose in life, I needed to make sure that I kept my word to a friend, and live my life in a way that honored those who had died,” Rodriguez said. “I needed to make sure that I represented myself well on behalf of my friends who were killed. And that was just trying to live through a promise.”

Rodriguez says that sticking to his word helped him overcome a number of challenges -- from substance abuse to issues in personal relationships. A significant part of that came from his strenuous training regimen.

“As soon as I got in the weight room, it was just an addiction. It just changed my life,” Rodriguez said. “I stopped doing everything detrimental to my body -- changed my eating. I just devoted everything to it.”

He was also attending community college at the time, getting his grades up to a point where he could transfer to a bigger university with a football program. Rodriguez says he spent most of his savings to make a recruitment video, which he put on YouTube. At that point, the wide receiver was working out three times a day for a total of six hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AN2fvc8y0A

The video went viral helped Rodriguez gain the attention of myriad college programs, and the wide receiver says he received a few offers from big-name schools to be a preferred walk-on. One of those was Clemson University.

“I didn’t even know where Clemson was,” Rodriguez said. “But I took a trip down there, and fell in love with it.”

He cited his meeting with head coach Dabo Swinney as one of the deciding factors.

“Coach Swinney was amazing,” Rodriguez said. “It was just one of those things where he wanted to invite me to the 105-man camp and I knew that I just had to work and put myself in a position to try to make the team. And it all worked out.”

As a walk-on, Rodriguez played in 37 consecutive games for the Tigers, which is a clear point of pride for him. While he appeared primarily on special teams, he scored a touchdown on a 2-yard end around against Citadel during Clemson’s 2013 Military Appreciation Day.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GIPV8OIi4

During his time at the South Carolina university, Rodriguez also made time to write his autobiography, RISE. Released Oct. 7 of last year, it was featured on the New York Times best-selling sports books list.

“It was kind of brought to my attention that people were starting to inquire if I would be interested in writing an autobiography, because at the time I didn’t realize that my life would be inspirational to others,” Rodriguez said, adding that initially he wasn’t sure he wanted to go through with it. “I never wanted to put myself in a position where people thought I was trying to capitalize off of the death of my friends and what I’d accomplished in combat.

“I talked with some of the parents of buddies who were killed, and I asked them if they thought if it was wrong,” Rodriguez continued. “And every one of them told me that I was in a position to show veterans that it’s not the end of the world when they come home. And what you’ve accomplished is so motivational, and can be so inspirational to so many people that we want you to do it.”

From that point on, Rodriguez says, he committed to the book. He teamed up with best-selling writer Joe Layden to help write it, composing the words through a series of interviews. The process was difficult at times because he had to re-live some particularly dark moments.

“I didn’t want to write the book in a Disney context. I wanted it to be very raw and open,” Rodriguez said. “I wanted to show that was the side of who I was and what I’d gone through to where I am now.”

Following his graduation in December 2014 -- Rodriguez was a two-time academic All-ACC honoree -- the wide receiver continued pursuing football by training at the EXOS performance center facility in Los Angeles.

“As a kid, I used to sneak downstairs and watch Monday Night Football, and I was always jumping over the couch for that game-winning touchdown,” Rodriguez said. “I’ve always wanted to be in the NFL, and every time I saw it in college, I always told myself that I can play at that level.

“There were many times when I said ‘college’ was that goal, but it was just that first step I needed to take. I wanted to be a football player,” Rodriguez added. “Being able to play it at the most elite level has been something that’s always been in the back of my mind. So when I had the opportunity present itself and knew that I was close to achieving it if I kept working out of college, I was going to take full advantage of it.”

When the draft came around, he wasn’t expecting to be selected, but much like his mindset in his recruitment video, Rodriguez simply wanted an opportunity.

“I was just hoping for a phone call, and it came the next day,” Rodriguez said.

The Rams were on the other end of the line. Rodriguez had talked to a few of the team’s scouts during his time at the Medal of Honor Bowl -- one of college football’s All-Star games following the conclusion of the season. He also spoke with team officials at his pro day. And receiving the invitation to come tryout during rookie orientation just provided him with another chance to take advantage of an opportunity.

“When they invited me, I was like, ‘Heck yeah, I would love to tryout. I’ve got nothing to lose,’” Rodriguez said. “They flew me out here and I thought I was only going to be here for a two-day trial. And they said I had a pretty good workout, made some plays, and they offered to have me stay.”

“It was one of those things that I couldn’t really believe happened, and it was all a whirlwind,” Rodriguez continued. “I didn’t know what was going to happen. I had invitations to other minicamps down the road, and I was just trying to take advantage of every one. And this one was the first one and it stuck. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise.”

But even as he progresses into a possible career in the NFL, as this Memorial Day Weekend illustrates, his past experiences are never far from his mind.

“I lost 24 friends in the conflicts that I was engaged in, and I have a lot of friends who have military members in their family,” Rodriguez said. “For me, it’s a day of remembrance. I used to be able to go to Arlington Cemetery, and visit my friends who are buried there. It means a lot.”

“I’m very grateful that Memorial Day is so prominent and important in our culture as Americans to remember that day and acknowledge it,” Rodriguez added. “You can always kind of reflect back and put yourself in the position of others. So when people are thanking me for your service and they call me a hero, I always say, ‘No, my friends who were killed are heroes.’ And that’s what it always is for me. It reflects on what my friends did for this country.”

Learn more about Rodriguez at http://danielrrodriguez.com/

ArticleAP810647951222.jpg

Mike

Rookie
Name
Mike
im reading a book called TheOutpost by Jake Tapper. It's about the Battle of Kamdesh. It's an eye opener. Wow. A must read. Daniel is mentioned in the book A true hero make no mistake about that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm honestly so proud of this guy. It's never easy to write a best-selling autobiography. It would have been so easy for many people to write an autobiography for themselves. He didn't. And that shows more character than 98% of the people - let alone writers - in this world.

And his time served in the Army? Making Clemson's team as a walk-on and scoring a touchdown? Making a 90 man NFL roster? How can anyone not respect this guy?

RamBill

Legend
Army vet Daniel Rodriguez trying to make most of chance with Rams
Posted by Josh Alper on May 24, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...guez-trying-to-make-most-of-chance-with-rams/

Memorial Day weekend has its fair share of gatherings around the grill, swimming in sunny weather and other fun, but none of that should get in the way of remembering that the holiday honors those who have given their lives in service to the country around the world.

Rams wide receiver Daniel Rodriguez doesn’t need that reminder. Rodriguez did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, where he was wounded during the Battle of Kamdesh, while in the Army and his football career began with a promise to a friend who was killed in combat. Rodriguez went to community college, worked on his game and landed as a walk-on at Clemson.

“It was just one of those things where I felt that if I had any purpose in life, I needed to make sure that I kept my word to a friend, and live my life in a way that honored those who had died,” Rodriguez said, via the Rams website. “I needed to make sure that I represented myself well on behalf of my friends who were killed. And that was just trying to live through a promise.”

Rodriguez, who received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device for his service in Afghanistan, wasn’t drafted, but met with Rams personnel at the postseason Medal of Honor Bowl and his pro day and got an invite to try out at the rookie minicamp.

“When they invited me, I was like, ‘Heck yeah, I would love to try out. I’ve got nothing to lose,'” Rodriguez said. “They flew me out here and I thought I was only going to be here for a two-day trial. And they said I had a pretty good workout, made some plays, and they offered to have me stay. It was one of those things that I couldn’t really believe happened, and it was all a whirlwind. I didn’t know what was going to happen. I had invitations to other minicamps down the road, and I was just trying to take advantage of every one. And this one was the first one and it stuck. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise.”

Rodriguez has a long way to go to make the Rams’ 53-man roster, but he overcame long odds to get this far and it’s a safe bet that he’ll have plenty of people rooting for him to continue his stay in St. Louis well past this summer’s cutdown day.

===================

iced

To a true warrior - hope this guy makes the most of his opportunity.

RamBill

Legend
Tom Rinaldi’s interview with Clemson walk-on Wide Receiver and Purple Heart recipient for his service and heroics overseas. From Jan 2013. Rodriquez was signed after the 2015 draft by the Rams.

Watch Rodriquez Interview

------------------

Rodriguez talks about signing with Rams
by Tony Crumpton

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Rodriguez-talks-signing-Rams-19430

Daniel Rodriguez
Pos: WR Height: 5-8 Weight: 180 Hometown: Stafford, VA (Brooke Pointe HS)
Years Played: 2012 - 2014

Memorial Day is a chance for all Americans to take the day to remember and honor on the men and women that haven given their lives for our country around the world.

One such American that has fought honorably for our country is Daniel Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is still living his dream of playing in the NFL with his recent free agent signing with the St. Louis Rams.

"When they invited me, I was like, ‘Heck yeah, I would love to try out. I’ve got nothing to lose,'" Rodriguez said to the Ram's website. "They flew me out here and I thought I was only going to be here for a two-day trial. And they said I had a pretty good workout, made some plays, and they offered to have me stay. It was one of those things that I couldn’t really believe happened, and it was all a whirlwind. I didn’t know what was going to happen. I had invitations to other minicamps down the road, and I was just trying to take advantage of every one. And this one was the first one and it stuck. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope he makes the team... while I like the human aspect of signing guys like Michale Sam and this young man, it's sad if they don't make it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope he ends up in the Hall of Fame after a long an illustrious career as a Ram.