The curious case of Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I don't really care much about his stats--there's been nothing crappy QB play during his time with us.

Exactamundo!!! Tavon requires a very accurate who can find his tiny body amongst the defensive 'trees.' The best he has enjoyed so far has been Sam I Am who was discouraged from going deep. Of course, Tavon's route running left much to be desired when Sam was still here.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Sign him now before he has Goff throwing him DIMES and the world realizes how special of a talent he is.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Although that $12mil. number is scary, I say extend the fifth year option, and sign him. He is invaluable to this offense, and one of the keys to Gurley's success.

Running Tavon in motion. The uncertainty for opposing defensive coordinators of "Who is getting the ball?" in the Rams offense, is a strength that was working. It should not be scrapped, as the new shiny thing arrives, but the new passing game should supplement this strength. A decent passing game will pull the eighth man out of the box.

Getting rid of Cooked, and his drive killing dropped passes. Adding 1-2 more receiver/tight end targets, and getting bonus production from returning players, (Quick, Stedman?) can only help, and will be figured out in OTAs and camp. Britt's production will benefit from better quarterback play. Welker? Marquez?

There is ssooooo much unknown still on the near horizon to make an assessment now, about our passing game, AND running game. But one thing is clear. Tavon needs to be a big part of that.

If we have a functional QB all of this becomes moot. Yes, TA is fun. But ultimately whether a team stacks a box or not has more to do with whether the QB can beat the blitz. Goff can!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
If we have a functional QB all of this becomes moot. Yes, TA is fun. But ultimately whether a team stacks a box or not has more to do with whether the QB can beat the blitz. Goff can!

Yeah. That was my point. Either Goff or Wentz will be successful against defenses sold out against the run. It's going to be a 'click' year people!

ausmurp

Starter
I think it depends on how well Austin plays this season. A combined 1k yards from running/passing isn't enough to keep him around. He has to break out with a big season receiving and it might happen if they get a QB in here who plays early and who can hit him in stride with accuracy.

IF that happens I think they move that tag to him. IF not I think they try to get a fair deal done and if he wants more let him test the waters i.e. he will walk.

1k total yds receiving and rushing is enough. You are saying you would pay him if he were to get just 1k yds rec, bot not for a combined rush rec 1k yds? Rushing yds are = rec yds pretty much, and he's truley a wr/rb, not wr. I think you need to base it more off of 1k combined rec rush yds and 10+ tds. If he can consistently do that he's yes worth the price.

ausmurp

Starter
I think many are overlooking that almost 500 yds rushing by a WR is probably harder to do than 500 receiving. Those yds are just as good if not better than receiving yds.

Which makes wonder, did he break the record for rushing yds by a receiver? He had to have been close. A few yrs ago Harvin was an MVP candidate for his rushing/receiving ability...remember that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1k total yds receiving and rushing is enough. You are saying you would pay him if he were to get just 1k yds rec, bot not for a combined rush rec 1k yds? Rushing yds are = rec yds pretty much, and he's truley a wr/rb, not wr. I think you need to base it more off of 1k combined rec rush yds and 10+ tds. If he can consistently do that he's yes worth the price.

We now have the league's best young RB. If Tavon can't get to 1k yards receiving with Gurley in the backfield it means he's not a good enough receiver.

Rams need him to get out there as a wideout and start making plays downfield. If he's just a bubble screen and jet sweep guy you can replace that in an offense at a much cheaper price than what will equate to elite WR money. This is a business my friend. Rams cannot afford to tie up $12 million on a gadget player, if he doesn't show growth as a receiver he is going to be allowed to walk in FA.

nighttrain

Legend
We now have the league's best young RB. If Tavon can't get to 1k yards receiving with Gurley in the backfield it means he's not a good enough receiver.

Rams need him to get out there as a wideout and start making plays downfield. If he's just a bubble screen and jet sweep guy you can replace that in an offense at a much cheaper price than what will equate to elite WR money. This is a business my friend. Rams cannot afford to tie up $12 million on a gadget player, if he doesn't show growth as a receiver he is going to be allowed to walk in FA.
Goff will be mediate help for all our receivers
train

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Gulp.

Y3A1SEG.jpg

T
he Rams have two players eligible for fifth-year options in Austin and Ogletree. The difference is that Ogletree's price at 8.3 milz is doable and justifiable, because he was selected outside of the top 10 in the draft. OTOH, Austin's $12.2 million salary would make him the one of the highest paid receivers in 2017, BECAUSE he was picked at #8 overall. If exercised, he would make more than guys like Fitzgerald, Maclin, Jordy Nelson and others. The Rams picked up fifth-year options on Quinn and Brockers in the past two years, but they were selected outside of the top ten picks in their respective drafts so the options for each were significantly less than what it would take to pick up Tavon's option this time.

IMO, I don't think Austin is worth the 5th year option price. He's a phenomenal athlete, and a game-changer on multiple fronts, but he's not $12M good. The Rams are obviously weighing all of their options at the moment, but I have to wonder how they're going to handle this before they paint themselves into a corner. They have a few options on how to approach this.

Decline to exercise his option, let him play out the final year of his rookie contract (this year) and allow him to become a FA in '17 without re-signing him.

Decline to exercise his option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before he becomes a FA in '17.

Exercise his option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before he becomes a FA in '17

Exercise the option and attempt to sign him to a long-term contract before the option year becomes fully guaranteed when he's on the '17 opening day active roster.

FmuWy7v.jpg
Give him a decent QB and he's $12m good. Don't give him the opportunity to play with any other team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sign him now before he has Goff throwing him DIMES and the world realizes how special of a talent he is.

Just for fun I am curious how many people know the origin of that term.......without The Google.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Gurley,we got NOTHING. Austin is a weapon and we can't afford to lose him unless you want our offense to suck so bad, people will confuse the "pull" for gravity......Overpay? Yes, we put ourselves in a place where we might have to do that..Plus, it's Stan's money and he can freakin afford it! :banghead:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I can't help it, I saw this and I thought, haha, I dunno.

Next year, either we get THIS:

BRAND_BIO_BSFC_153495_SF_2997_20131204_V1_HD_768x432-16x9.jpg

or THIS

Terry_Crews.jpg

I'd wait until the end of the year.

If he buys a cardigan sweater??? Nope. Not payin' him the money...is all I'm sayin'...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was calling for the Rams to sign Barron's 5'th year option, now I would call for the Rams to stay put on Austin (no option) and look to sign him long term. The rams pretty much do the opposite of what I wish, so why should this be any different. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Gurley,we got NOTHING. Austin is a weapon and we can't afford to lose him unless you want our offense to suck so bad, people will confuse the "pull" for gravity......Overpay? Yes, we put ourselves in a place where we might have to do that..Plus, it's Stan's money and he can freakin afford it! :banghead:

Next year's a long ways away. They might hit on a nice WR in round 4. They might get Boldin in here to give them a strong possession option. With a real QB Austin might explode. Or any of the other WRs for that matter. They might hit on a pass catching TE who will give us a top possession option. They might realize that Gurley is an insane weapon in the passing game. So many ways things can go still man.

No need to panic yet. Let's enjoy them adding the QB and see where that leads us. Look at the WRs for the past five or so Super Bowl and divisional championship teams. WR is NOT a critical position for winning.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next year's a long ways away. They might hit on a nice WR in round 4. They might get Boldin in here to give them a strong possession option. With a real QB Austin might explode. Or any of the other WRs for that matter. They might hit on a pass catching TE who will give us a top possession option. They might realize that Gurley is an insane weapon in the passing game. So many ways things can go still man.

No need to panic yet. Let's enjoy them adding the QB and see where that leads us. Look at the WRs for the past five or so Super Bowl and divisional championship teams. WR is NOT a critical position for winning.
My point is that since we have nothing now except Todd Gurley as a weapon and if we don't hit gold with later round WR's, we will most likely lose Austin after a great year. Goff will have a go to reciever in Tavon, and Tavon will have a QB that will hit him in stride....No more coming back to Keenums badly thrown ball for a 10 yard gain, when with Goff it might be a long gain.....They should try to re-sign him now, because the price only goes up from here, imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is that since we have nothing now except Todd Gurley as a weapon and if we don't hit gold with later round WR's, we will most likely lose Austin after a great year. Goff will have a go to reciever in Tavon, and Tavon will have a QB that will hit him in stride....No more coming back to Keenums badly thrown ball for a 10 yard gain, when with Goff it might be a long gain.....They should try to re-sign him now, because the price only goes up from here, imo.

If that happens Loyal, there is nothing to worry about. The Rams will pick up that one year option.

I'm hoping that's what happens, btw.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Lol! I just assumed everyone knows it as Deon Sanders always uses it.

Many years ago a phone call in a phone booth (are any of those left?) was 10 cents, a dime. There was a term called "dropping a dime" as in "LesBaker dropped a dime on OnceARam". Which would mean I called the police on you to help them catch you, I assisted them. The term was used in basketball for an assist since it helps another player score. So the phrase "he had 12 dimes in the game last night" stems from that.

I don't know why anyone in the NFL uses it because it's not really appropriate since the QB didn't assist, there isn't an assist in the NFL.

I think it sounds silly even for the NBA, when I hear guys on TV or the radio use it I want to ask them "do you know what that means" because I know they wont.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Many years ago a phone call in a phone booth (are any of those left?) was 10 cents, a dime. There was a term called "dropping a dime" as in "LesBaker dropped a dime on OnceARam". Which would mean I called the police on you to help them catch you, I assisted them. The term was used in basketball for an assist since it helps another player score. So the phrase "he had 12 dimes in the game last night" stems from that.

I don't know why anyone in the NFL uses it because it's not really appropriate since the QB didn't assist, there isn't an assist in the NFL.

I think it sounds silly even for the NBA, when I hear guys on TV or the radio use it I want to ask them "do you know what that means" because I know they wont.

Wow. Had know idea of the terms actual origin.... For whatever reason I thought it was about a "thing of beauty", like a female 10.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Austin showed me he's worth it last year. He didn't pull through in a couple of clutch spots, sure that's true, but it's also the first year he was allowed to be in those spots. We were all waiting for his emergence under Shotty and it never came. Last year we saw near record breaking YPC for a receiver and I saw him single handedly keep the offense moving in multiple games even with Gurley in the game.

If all Tavon has to offer is what we saw last year, that's still plenty for this offense. He's the jab to Gurley's uppercut and on ST, he's keeping us from perpetually being 1st and 10 from inside the 20. Pay him.