The Critical Point As I See It...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
As the Rams start camp I see ONE CRITICAL POINT...

QB - WR rhythm and synchronization!!!

Many are looking at the OLine and the RBs, which deserve attention...BUT...the Rams have:

*A new QB in Foles, which many of us are skeptical about.

*Brian Quick returning from shoulder surgery injury.

*Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey entering year 3 and...for most...at a "show or go point" as WRs.

I believe this is where the Rams really have to arrive! I also think they can! In this "microwave production based on where you were drafted" generation, I think many have forgotten how sophisticated the jump is from college to the NFL, and they expect too much, too soon from young players.

Quick is at the point Dez Bryant was in his 3rd year. Quick HAS to MAKE THE MOVE to being a BONAFIDE THREAT as a WR! He showed glimpses before being injured...as he was "night and day" from 2013 when he became a starter. This could be form the threat Britt presented coming to the Rams, but the main point, is that Quick was delivering!

Tavon and Stedman are both "have the tools to be great guys" in the Rams offense...and both have shown that they can be legitimate threats on the field...BUT...have they "PUT IN THE WORK" in the off season to really show they can both "adjust on the fly" base on what the defense presents, and make proper reads with Foles to make the offense click.

At the tight end spot, my assessment is that the Rams simply need to be more inventive in incorporating Cook and Kendricks into the offense. I'm not here to knock the former OC, but I think he left "tools in the pouch" with these two guys.

Now to Foles...

Who is he??? What is he??? He showed good skills early with the Eagles...BUT...in my opinion the Eagles have the 2nd generation of Mike Martz in Chip Kelly. He is a "OFFENSE OR DIE" type, like Mike Martz. I think he believes offense can win championships...and with that philosophy, I think he gave up too early on Foles. You need at a MINIMUM, a mediocre defense to win the Superbowl.

I think Foles is not only talented...BUT...can be lethal, from videos I have seen of the guy. The Rams obviously think so as they've looked at a long term deal. That can be argued obviously...but with an experienced head coach like Jeff Fisher...obviously he sees something in Foles none of us do (and I was a Sam Bradford supporter).

This is where I think the Rams are as they enter camp...and this is where I stand. I think the OLine is a valid concern...even moreso than the RB position!

I think The Rams have GRAVY at RB with Tre Mason and Todd Gurley...but that too remains to be seen!

However...in a passing league you QB-WR relationship is most critical as I see it! As camp begins, that's what I'm MOST concerned about.

Just sharing my thoughts folks...I don't want to argue though!

Where do you stand entering camp???

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I can't wait to see Foles, Gurley and our new offense come together. These guys all need to tighten up early, if we want to win.
I like potential, but potential doesn't win games. It's time to come out swinging.

Ram65

Legend
Nice write up RamWoodie!

As the Rams start camp I see ONE CRITICAL POINT...

QB - WR rhythm and synchronization!!!

I'm not sure it's just ONE CRITICAL POINT...

I will agree that the QB-Foles and WR/TE Group need to quickly be no the same page. Foles is a "gym rat" type that will work hard to get the offense down. The WR/TE Group "should know the offense" inside out by this year. By all accounts they all seem to be on board to take things to new levels based on workout reports and what they (Britt) are saying. The defense has to hold down their bigger side of the equation too. The running backs and offensive line have to help easy the pressure on the passing game by keeping the 3rd downs to a manageable numbers and setting up the play action pass.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Chemistry with the Wrs is Foles #1 priority going into camp.The o-line has to work on their chemistry at the same time,so the team has their work cut out for them.All our starters on defense are returning and with a year in Williams system they will be ready.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If this OL gels early, it will open up both the run game AND the play action pass.

I dunno why, but I have faith in Nick Foles and his ability to find our WRs.

I also have faith in Cignetti to be MUCH more results oriented... to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers (his words) and to simplify the OL calls such that he puts our OL in position to succeed.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't wait to see Foles, Gurley and our new offense come together. These guys all need to tighten up early, if we want to win.
I like potential, but potential doesn't win games. It's time to come out swinging.

I hear you Dodgersrf! However, I said in a thread long ago that Gurley is not going to just move Tre Mason out at RB. It's going to be a battle!

I don't know if people know how well Tre Mason ran for the Rams last year as a rookie. Dude was 179 rushes for 765 as a rookie...and you don't just shake a stick at that!

Mason was 5' 8" 207lbs last year...and has *probably* put on 8-10 lbs more...while Gurley is 6' 1" 222. Now go figure the mass of each man. Mason has the lower center of gravity...and we ALREADY know he's a truckload.

No knock on Gurley either though! Just keep in mind he missed a LOT of football with that ACL injury, which means he has to get acclimated to the PRO GAME having missed most of his last year of college.

I'm as glad as anyone the Rams have him...but my reasoning is they have a potential "TWO HEADED MONSTER" in the backfield in BOTH Mason and Gurley.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hear you Dodgersrf! However, I said in a thread long ago that Gurley is not going to just move Tre Mason out at RB. It's going to be a battle!

I don't know if people know how well Tre Mason ran for the Rams last year as a rookie. Dude was 179 rushes for 765 as a rookie...and you don't just shake a stick at that!

Mason was 5' 8" 207lbs last year...and has *probably* put on 8-10 lbs more...while Gurley is 6' 1" 222. Now go figure the mass of each man. Mason has the lower center of gravity...and we ALREADY know he's a truckload.

No knock on Gurley either though! Just keep in mind he missed a LOT of football with that ACL injury, which means he has to get acclimated to the PRO GAME having missed most of his last year of college.

I'm as glad as anyone the Rams have him...but my reasoning is they have a potential "TWO HEADED MONSTER" in the backfield in BOTH Mason and Gurley.
Agree completely. I'm big on Mason as well. I was as shocked as anyone when Gurley name was called

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't help thinking how dominant Eric Dickerson was in year one...A big part of that rookie performance was due to the great Oline of the 80's...But still, I am expecting a transcendent RB in Gurley. If he is only competing with Tre Mason when at full speed, I will feel ripped off.

FRO

Legend
We saw this in 2013 with a bunch of new pieces. It takes time for a unit to build chemistry. We have a new offensive line and QB. A new starting RB. Realistically I don't see us charging out of the gate.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We saw this in 2013 with a bunch of new pieces. It takes time for a unit to build chemistry. We have a new offensive line and QB. A new starting RB. Realistically I don't see us charging out of the gate.

I don't either. I see our D charging out of the gate while hopefully our O fights through the growing pains.

At the end of the first five games, I'd love to see us at 4-1 with one of those a win over Seattle.

Can we do it? I dunno. It's why they play the games.

ram007

Starter
Can Fisher bring his 'A' game to coaching the first 8 games? It is un-realistic to assume this offense will be ready until game 8 of the season.

BadCompany

Rookie
Can Fisher bring his 'A' game to coaching the first 8 games? It is un-realistic to assume this offense will be ready until game 8 of the season.

That's what I am concerned about too.

On the other hand, if our defense can create turnovers or consistently move opposing offenses backwards with huge sacks, and our special teams (i.e. Austin) can give the offense the equivalent of free first downs with consistently good-to-great returns, and Legatron can work his magic then hopefully that will be enough to slug out some wins while we get through the growing pains. The field position battles will be crucial, because I'm not sure the offense is ready for a whole lot of 80 yard drives just yet. The good news is we have the defense and special teams to really tip that balance in our favor.

MauiRam

Rookie
We will go as far as our O-line can take us. How far that will be at this point is a mystery. Our D will have to shoulder the burden of confining opposing O's to field goals at worst and three and outs at best. I wish them all the luck. If we are 4 & 4 at midseason, we could be a dangerous team in the second half of the season. The O-line should be finding their rhythm by then. Foles will be just fine if he can rely on a strong running game. If not ... then things could get ugly.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm at wait and see with this offense. Getting the run game going is a priority....We have no many new parts, it's scary to think how bad this could go. Foles is used to handing the ball off, all our OL are used to run blocking, and our RBs can run the ball.

The passing game won't be pretty if we can't run the ball.