The Cost of Trading Ndamukong Suh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
by Jason Fitzgerald
http://overthecap.com/cost-trading-ndamukong-suh/

According to Scott Bischoff the Detroit Lions are discussing the possibility of trading DT Ndamukong Suh in order to move up in the draft.

Suh has one of the most unique contract situations in the NFL. Between draft status and poor salary cap management by the Lions, Suh’s cap charge in 2014 is $22.4 million. Suh will be a free agent in 2015, but because he has a voidable year for 2015 in his contract, failing to re-sign Suh would result in a charge of $9.737 million against the salary cap in 2015. Due to the heavy proration in that 2015 year the cost to cut or trade Suh this season would leave the Lions with $19.5 million in dead cap. The Lions can’t franchise Suh due to the cost so they can not even threaten to block him from free agency. Suh, who recently switched agents and wants a new contract, has all the leverage in the world to force the Lions to accept a player friendly contract.

Suh’s cap charge is nearly $7 million higher than the next highest defensive tackle, Gerald McCoy of the Buccaneers. McCoy was selected one spot behind Suh in the draft, but Tampa did not touch his contract to create the type of leverage that Suh has with the Lions. Defensive tackle is not a premier pay position (the highest veteran contract belongs to the Bengals’ Geno Atkins at $10.665 million per year with just $15 million fully guaranteed) and teams should have been aware that by drafting the position highly they were already locking themselves in at a top of the market price for a player who never stepped foot in the NFL. Any reworking of the contract will just make the situation unbearable and the Lions did it twice with Suh.

Suh is likely looking at the teams salary cap situation and asking for a contract that would increase, perhaps substantially, from his current $12.9 million a year contract. The Lions have already gone well beyond the norms of a positional salary with wide receiver Calvin Johnson so Suh should believe they would do the same for him. However, with so much money tied up already in Johnson and QB Matthew Stafford, it is arguable that the Lions can be competitive for the long haul at these salary levels. They may view the situation with Suh as one that cant be resolved and thus would be better for them to move forward with a much lower cost rookie player at an impact position on the roster.

While it is easy to get wrapped up in the $19.5 million dead cap charge that Suh would leave the Lions with, if we play the scenario out it Detroit would save significant cap dollars by trading Suh. If the Lions allow Suh to play out his contract and he becomes a free agent the Lions will spend a total of $32.15 million in cap dollars on Suh for just the 2014 season. That total is made up of the enormous cap figure in 2014 and the dead money in 2015. If they trade Suh the team would take on a $19.475 million hit this year and have Suh off the books in 2015. They save $12.675 million over a two year period.

If the deal would be something like Suh and the number 10 pick for the number 2 pick in the draft they would add in the ballpark of an additional $1.8 million in 2014 and $2.3 million in 2015 to their anticipated draft allotments in terms of cap spending. All told the team would create around $8 million in additional cap space over the two year period rather than having Suh and the 10th pick in the draft. In terms of cash they would avoid paying Suh his $12.55 million salary while picking up around an extra $7 million in bonus commitments, a savings of around $5.5 million in cash. These are real gains for the Lions especially since the cost of an extension for Suh would now be gone.

The other possibility, if the Lions are floating this rumor, is that Detroit is using the rumor to let Suh know that they are not afraid of the salary cap charges associated with moving him off the team. If Suh did become a free agent in 2015 I have a hard time believing he would make that much more than Atkins on the open market. With Detroit he has leverage but elsewhere he will not. This might be Detroit’s best strategy to bring him to the negotiating table with realistic expectations.

If they are serious about trading Suh, there are few teams who could take on the cost. The team acquiring Suh would have to set aside $12.675 million in cap space for him. There are 14 teams that currently have the room to take him on. The teams with draft selections higher than the Lions that have the space are the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Buccaneers, and Bills, with only the top three having premier draft selections. If a team could sign Suh to an extension that could extend the pool, but if Suh is set on a price he may not come down quick enough to allow that to happen quickly.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If the deal would be something like Suh and the number 10 pick for the number 2 pick in the draft
I'm not sure how the Rams can even entertain the idea much less actually pay for Suh's contract.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not sure how the Rams can even entertain the idea much less actually pay for Suh's contract.

We could work it out..We have a lot of flexibility I believe. It's just a question of whether we would want to.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's just throwing an arbitrary scenario out there. He later went on to list the only teams that are capable of absorbing that cap hit.

Alan

Legend
I don't want him for more than $10 million per year. As that isn't likely to happen, I don't want him at all.

V3

Hall of Fame
We could work it out..We have a lot of flexibility I believe. It's just a question of whether we would want to.

Where is this flexibility you speak of? Remember we have to have money to pay the rookie draft class.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Oh definitely, because we desperately need another guy on defense to draw personal fouls...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
naaa weve already got the best Dline in the league no reason to spend that kind of money on a DT. We got Brocker(beast), Langford, and Carrington and we run a lot of 4 DE sets on pass rushing downs. were pretty much set at DT if we do add some talent it will be cheaply through the draft.

iced

uh, i wouldn't worry about teams that can take the cap hit - i'd try to find a team who'd even want to trade for that cap hit..

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Albert Haynesworth part II,I wanted Suh instead of Sam, what was I thinking?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
That was the risk they took by drafting the guy so high back then - part of the reason we went with a QB IMO. At least the position justifies the $$$.
If we had the room I'd take him on our squad in a heartbeat at a much reduced rate.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
uh, i wouldn't worry about teams that can take the cap hit - i'd try to find a team who'd even want to trade for that cap hit..
somehow i forsee him getting traded to the raiders with plenty of cap room

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Save the cap space for resigning Brockers.

Suh is a couple of bone head plays away from serious suspension.

Edit; besides... He's skipping team workouts. Dude isn't a team player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd love to have Suh but we don't have the cap room to take on the $12.55 million base salary for Suh in 2014.

Plus, it's a rental unless he's willing to re-sign.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Where is this flexibility you speak of? Remember we have to have money to pay the rookie draft class.

I'm not a cap expert, but I remember Demoff saying that while we look like we have little cap space, we have a lot of flexibility to restructure and move money around to clear up space and he can fit in contracts if he has to, and with an extension to Suh's contract that would be manageable for certain. And I believe we also have front loaded contracts like Laurinaitis basically coming off the books where they only cost $4-5 million which would allow us to take on a cap hit like Suh later on, or able to handle money moved to say, next season. I think there's also little things you can do like turning money into bonuses or something? Not sure.

Not saying that it's a good idea, but I think we have the ability to make some space according to Demoff, he says we have flexibility and we have plenty of cap space.. He knows what he's doing, so if we did trade for Suh, we can manage.

Of course, now that I think about it, these comments I believe were before the Saffold contract. So maybe I'm wrong. IDK bro.