The cost of new QB contracts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe we should hope Foles is just "good enough" to win with, but doesn't blow up the board statistically?

The Seahawks are about to dive in deep with Wilson. Is he worth it?

How out of balance can a team get with too big of contracts for one or two players?

Check out this quote regarding the Tannehill and Suh contracts. That's 25% of the total cap for two players;

"Tannehill and Suh will combine for cap hits of $40.2 million in 2016, $35.6 million in 2017 and $41.9 million in 2018."

That's crazy stuff, right there.

Here is more on the pending deals for Wilson, Newton, and Luck.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...wton-russell-wilson-new-cost-qb-contracts-nfl

Six months after Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin wavered on Ryan Tannehill as his starting quarterback, the organization gave Tannehill a four-year extension averaging $19.25 million per season. That is the NFL's sixth-highest average.

Tannehill's new contract carries $21.5 million guaranteed in full and another $23.5 million guaranteed against injury. What sounds excessive for a player with modest credentials is very much in line with the NFL market for quarterbacks. "I think both sides won on this deal," a contract negotiator for another team said, echoing what others in the industry are saying.

Is the NFL out of its mind when it comes to quarterback valuation? The Dolphins' deal with Tannehill provides an opportunity to re-examine the pricing of the position. What is an average (or slightly above-average) quarterback worth? Is the fear of not having a viable quarterback driving the market out of control? Insights from agents and team contract negotiators provide a deeper level of understanding while setting expectations for the next wave of quarterback signings.

Six things to know about QB contracts
1. Luck, Newton and Wilson represent the next frontier.

Agents and negotiators expect Andrew Luck to command up to $25 million per year on his new deal, and without much drama. They are more curious to see what happens with Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Both should wind up earning at least $20 million a year, these insiders thought.

"Historically, the difference-making contract at quarterback has been franchise-tender driven," a team executive said. "Drew Brees and Peyton Manning come to mind. The fifth-year tender is interesting for someone such as Newton. It's a fixed number, but not guaranteed. That contract will be the most interesting one. I would not consider him a top-10 QB, but he is going to get paid like one. And if I were Carolina, I'd pay him in the top 10. You are not going to not have him."

Tom Brady's average falls next at $9 million thanks to some creative accounting. No other veteran starters are earning more than $5.25 million per season, which is where Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer check in. There really is no veteran's middle class at the position, in other words. (Luck, Newton and Wilson head the group of low-priced starters still on team-friendly rookie deals, but as I wrote above, that won't be the case for much longer.)

"You either have a guy or you do not, and you would overpay for the security of having an OK guy," a team executive said. "That is not because you are a bad deal-maker. It's just that you cannot invent the resources to replace that guy."

The question becomes whether paying more to keep Tannehill (or someone similar) is worth the expense when players such as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cassel, Hoyer and Josh McCown are the lower-cost alternatives. Teams have so far answered resoundingly that the additional cost is preferable.

3. There is more than one way to evaluate a deal.

The experts look at average per year over the life of the deal, and in the first three years. They want to know guarantee structure, specifically how much is truly guaranteed versus guaranteed for injury only. They want to see the cash flow by year. They want to know how much "new" money an extension carries. They want to know if a deal features outlier traits that could affect future deals.

Tannehill's deal ranks 10th in APY from 2014 forward, sixth in APY and three-year APY over its newly added years, 14th in true guarantee and 13th in total guarantee (counting injury-only guarantees).

"If you look at it as a four-year extension at $19 million a year, he is the sixth-highest-paid quarterback," a team negotiator said. "Is that more than Jay Cutler is getting with all the guarantees? No, it is not as good."

While Colin Kaepernick's deal with San Francisco made waves for details such as the 49ers' ability to wait until April before triggering guarantees, a different team negotiator described the Tannehill deal as unremarkable. This manager ranked deals for Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Drew Breesand Joe Flacco one through five, respectively, from a player perspective. He put deals for Tony Romo and Cutler next, followed by those for Tannehill, Kaepernick, Matthew Stafford, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton. This manager set aside the deals for Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, who adjusted their contracts downward after maxing out previous contracts.

Others agreed with the rankings through the top seven or so, differing thereafter based on a range of criteria. Structure can be critical. The Bears' deal with Cutler comes to mind. His contract carries more than $15 million fully guaranteed in 2015, plus another $10 million in 2016. Those guarantees all but forced the Bears' new leadership to keep Cutler after a disastrous 2014 season. But that situation was an outlier (see below).

4. Guarantee structure can be critical ... and overrated.

One negotiator said he thought guarantees, while important, command too much attention, overshadowing the realities of the position. While a pay-as-you-go structure clears the way for Miami, Cincinnati or San Francisco to break from their quarterbacks after a couple of seasons, these are unrealistic scenarios. What are the 49ers going to do? Go with Blaine Gabbert?

Cleveland Browns might have paid for Smith, Dalton, Kaepernick or Tannehill if one of them had been a free agent this offseason. Instead, they settled for McCown.

5. Teams are in the insurance business. (QBs are, too.)

The Dolphins had a couple of choices with Tannehill after picking up his $16.2 million option for the 2016 season. They could have let him play out that deal, or they could have worked out an extension. They chose the extension as a hedge against paying an even higher price if Tannehill continues to improve. The team is paying a premium over the next two seasons for the right to lock in a set price thereafter.

"Tannehill gets more in the next two years and if he does really well, he is still doing great," a salary-cap manager said. "The reality is, teams must be wary of the Flacco situation."

Flacco's magnificent run to a Super Bowl title following the 2012 season put Baltimore in a bind after the team let him reach the final year of his deal.

Tannehill had already earned more than $10 million over his three-year career, so he was negotiating from a position of relative strength. His new deal gives him another $21.5 million fully guaranteed at signing, meaning he should be set for life, and then some. However, because subsequent guarantees are for injury only, the Dolphins are not locked in for the long term.

6. The franchise tag can be the elephant in the negotiating room.

Ripping the Bears' former regime over the Cutler deal is perhaps justified, but with Cutler fast approaching free agency in 2014, the franchise tag was hanging over negotiations.

"The system of compensating quarterbacks is so different and the biggest reason has become the gigantic franchise number that you have to live with if you cannot get a deal done," a negotiator said.

No one is faulting the Green Bay Packers for paying Rodgers $54 million fully guaranteed and $22 million per season. Most would agree that the very best quarterbacks are worth every cent. But those top-tier quarterback deals also help set the value for the franchise tags teams can apply to guard against losing their most important players in free agency. The tag was set at $18.5 million in 2015.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The value of a great QB in this league is extremely high because there are only about 12 good ones. Either Foles emerges in our offense and we pay him big for his talent or we learn to win despite not having that premiere passer like the 49ers did with a worthless guy like Kaep.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This reminds me of something I say to people all of the time being in the school business... "If you think education is expensive, try unemployment."

Yeah, so, if you think a starting quality QB is expensive, try not having one for a while and let me know how you feel.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This reminds me of something I say to people all of the time being in the school business... "If you think education is expensive, try unemployment."

Yeah, so, if you think a starting quality QB is expensive, try not having one for a while and let me know how you feel.

Andy Dalton is starting quality. So is Alex Smith.

Is Wilson worth $5-7MM more per year?

I agree, lacking a starter is a recipe for mediocrity. But, unless we're talking Peyton Manning, Brady, or Brees... How much cap space can you put toward the QB?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's only COMPOUNDED by the fact that new QBs aren't entering the league, thus making starting caliber QBs even more of a rarity each year.

What does Denver do when Peyton Manning retires which could happen as soon as after this year? I don't know that they are prepared to replace a 1st ballot HoF player. There not only aren't any Andrew Lucks coming out, but there aren't any Andrew Daltons or Alex Smiths, either.

Frankly, the NFL should be in full panic mode because by the time they put plans in place to fix it and get players into the pipeline to fix it and then try to see this be fixed... the top QBs will be out of the game. Brady, P. Manning, Drew Brees... those guys are on borrowed time.

If the top QB is Aaron Rodgers and the next QB is... Well, Foles, hopefully!!! And maybe Bradford if he can stay healthy, but based on who we know... Flacco? Eli Manning? Andy Dalton? If that's the case, then the powers that be shouldn't be worried.

They should be terrified...because scoring will go down no matter how much they skew the rules for the offense and with the financial incentives in the college game such that their systems are so grossly incompatible with the Pro game, we're seeing the evolution of two different games.

Ultimately, if we don't see the return of NFL Europe or an 8 team NFL development league here in the states if for no other reason than to develop QBs and keep the development of the passing game alive, then the NFL is going to have issues that it can't structurally fix with rules or even changing the game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Andy Dalton is starting quality. So is Alex Smith.

Is Wilson worth $5-7MM more per year?

I agree, lacking a starter is a recipe for mediocrity. But, unless we're talking Peyton Manning, Brady, or Brees... How much cap space can you put toward the QB?

You're making me compliment the Oompa Loompa here... Me no like do dat!

Wilson is worth more than those 2 by far. He really deserves more than they do in dollars,,, maybe not Top 3 money, but if he keeps leading his teams to Super Bowl appearances he will be.

I would like to say that I really hate the little fuck though.

How I would have so loved to have had Dalton or Smith on our team last year.... As average as they are. Especially that stupid ex-whiner and that is just wrong... but it's true.

I'm pretty sure NFL owners and GMs are counting on an increase in the salary cap happening soon. The 20 million # may not be such an anchor even next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think the Rams going Old School by putting all of their chips into a strong running game are trying to make the team be less QB reliant at the same time. Even if Foles is below league average this year, his agent is going to be seeking one of these 20 million+ contracts. Are Fisher, Snead and Demoff going to pay it? I think that they are hoping or signs that Mannion can start and they let Foles walk, unless of course Foles plays great this season and proves he deserves the big money.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Seems like it will (should) go the way of rookie contracts of 5 years ago. Eventually it's simply unsustainable.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ntracts-are-more-about-leverage-than-ability/

For competent quarterbacks, contracts are more about leverage than ability
Posted by Mike Florio on June 3, 2015

newton.jpg
Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has a top five contract, but it’s possible he’s not even a top-10 quarterback.

Sure, the knee-jerk reaction is that Newton has earned a spot among the 10 best quarterbacks in the game. If, however, every quarterback who in isolation was regarded as being in the top 10 were actually in the top 10, the top 10 would consist of at least 15.

During Wednesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, producer Rob “Stats” Guerrera and I came up with a consensus list of nine quarterbacks who definitely belong in the top 10. They are, in alphabetical order, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tony Romo.

So who would get the last chair at the top-10 quarterback table? Stats pushed for Matt Ryan; I picked Russell Wilson. Other possibilities include Eli Manning, Ryan Tannehill,Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer, and Newton.

That’s 16. And then there’s Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, and Alex Smith, who each have have been to the postseason multiple times. How about veterans who are good enough to stay employed, like Jay Cutler and Robert Griffin III? Finally, it’s impossible to ignore up-and-comers Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, and Nick Foles. And what about rookies Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota?

That’s 27 teams with quarterbacks who either are established or in time could be. Which leaves five teams with clear long-term question marks at quarterback (currently, the Jets, Bills, Browns, Texans, and Eagles). And it’s because of those five vacancies that guys like Newton get paid so much more than their position on the list of best quarterbacks in the NFL would merit.

When it comes to quarterback contracts, it doesn’t matter whether a given quarterback is better or worse than another quarterback. The most important factors are: (1) how close the quarterback is to free agency; and (2) whether one of the teams that is looking for a franchise quarterback would pounce on the chance to give up two first-round picks to sign the quarterback to an offer sheet under the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Some think Joe Flacco squeezed $20.1 million per year out of Baltimore only because he won the Super Bowl. While that didn’t hurt, the Ravens likely weren’t going to expose him to the non-exclusive tag even if they hadn’t won the championship, because someone like the Browns would have gladly overpaid Flacco and given up two first-round picks to stop the never ending list of names on the back of that fan’s jersey listing all the starters since Tim Couch in 1999.

Contract-year Super Bowl win or not, the closer Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck or Cam Newton or Ryan Tannehill get to free agency, the more it will cost to keep them. The Dolphins got Tannehill for less because he had two years to go under his rookie deal, and because the jury was still out on whether another team would jump at the chance to pilfer him via the non-exclusive tag. The Panthers got Newton for a top-five contract and not a top-two contract because they closed the deal while Newton still had a year left before free agency.

To truly cash in like Flacco, the quarterback needs to keep the injury risk and push through the last year of the contract. Once that happens, the team has to decide whether to use the non-exclusive tag and risk losing him, apply the exclusive tag which, by next year, could cost up to $25 million for one year (that becomes $98 million if it’s stretched out to three years of the tag), or sign the player to a long-term deal. Under option three, the player who is otherwise going to be franchise-tagged has maximum leverage.

For teams like the Seahawks, the only hope at that point would be to push Wilson’s “Go Hawks!” buttons in order to get him to leave money on the table. The 49ers pulled it off last year, but Kaepernick was still a season away from free agency when his new contract was signed. Once a quarterback’s rookie contract is complete, there’s no reason for the quarterback to do anything other than do what the owner of the team would do in a similar business position — squeeze the situation for every last dollar.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Supply and demand.
Depends on interpretation, maybe a dozen really good QB's,? Ten? or even less?
If good QB's grew on trees every team would have three.

Teams pay for talent and potential. They pay for the devil they know rather than face the uncertainty of trying to find a equal cheaper one.
It's a huge commitment to draft a QB and let him sit idle eating up a roster spot for a few years in the hope he can develop while never being given the opportunity to play in actual games to prove he can play. Wrong decision point and it not only gets the coaching staff and front office fired it ends their careers and sets a franchise back years.

Foles plays great he's getting Tannehill money either from the Rams or another team. It's business.

I can see why teams want to emphasize the run more but still have to pass the ball very efficiently to win consistently in the league.