The contending teams & their #2 QB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd thought it'd be worth a quick look at all the current backup QB's for all of last seasons playoff teams.

NE Patriots
Brian Hoyer
11 years
Career starts = 37
W/L = 16-21
83.2 rating

Playoff starts = none
--------------------------
LA Rams
Blake Bortles
6 years
Career starts = 73
W/L = 24-49
80.6 rating

Playoff starts = 3
W/L = 2-1
3 TD
0 INT
91 rating
KC Chiefs
Chad Henne
12 yrs
Career starts = 53
W/L = 18-35
75.5 rating

Playoff starts = none
---------------------------
NO Saints
Teddy Bridgewater
6 years
Career starts = 29
W/L = 17-12
85.9 rating

Playoff starts = 1
W/L = 0-1
0 TD 0 INT
86.5 rating
LA Chargers
Tyrod Taylor
9 years
Career starts = 46
W/L = 12-21-1
89.6 rating

Playoff starts = 1
W/L = 0-1
0 TD 1 INT
44.2 rating
-------------------------
Philadelphia Eagles
Josh McCown
17 years
Career starts = 76
W/L = 23-53
79.7 rating

Playoff starts = none
---------------------------
Houston Texans
AJ McCarron
6 years
Career starts = 3
W/L = 2-1
92.4 rating

Playoff starts = 1
W/L = 0-1
1 TD 1 INT
68.3 rating
------------------------
Chicago Bears
Chase Daniel
10 years
Career starts = 4
W/L = 2-2
85.8 rating

Playoff games = 4
W/L = 2-2
------------------------
Baltimore Ravens
Robert Griffin III
6 years
Career starts = 40
W/L = 15-25
88.2 rating

Playoff starts = 1
W/L = 0-1
2 TD 1 INT
77.5 rating
------------------------
Dallas Cowboys
Cooper Rush
3 years
Career starts = none
------------------------
Indianapolis Colts
Jacoby Brissett
4 years
Career starts = 17
W/L = 5-12
81.6 rating

Playoff starts = none
Seattle Seahawks
Geno Smith
7 years
Career starts = 31
W/L = 12-19
72.7 rating

Playoff starts = none

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Said another way; lose your starter, you’re screwed.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm cool with how our guy has solid playoff experience though.

(Btw, isn't Rush the Cowboys' no. 3?)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm cool with how our guy has solid playoff experience though.

(Btw, isn't Rush the Cowboys' no. 3?)
A couple of these are fluid choices since we're still in pre season. I just went by official site depth charts.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I like Bortles for the most part. He seems like a solid back up. If Goff were to go down (knock on wood) I feel confident that our season wouldn't go down the drain with Bortles being the guy. He might be a step down from Goff sure but I believe when it comes to back up QB the Rams have the best chance. The thing about Bortles that bothers me is at times he can become a turnover machine. One game he might play lights out and the next throw 3 or 4 interceptions. BUT that was when he was in Jacksonville we'll see how he does under Mcvay.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Said another way; lose your starter, you’re screwed.
Not always....!

9FD8D7BB-3EBE-4AF0-8083-00C29F79D951.jpeg

Hostetler, too.

Honestly, I could see Bortles winning it all for us, if he played like he did in 2017.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I like Bortles for the most part. He seems like a solid back up. If Goff were to go down (knock on wood) I feel confident that our season wouldn't go down the drain with Bortles being the guy. He might be a step down from Goff sure but I believe when it comes to back up QB the Rams have the best chance. The thing about Bortles that bothers me is at times he can become a turnover machine. One game he might play lights out and the next throw 3 or 4 interceptions. BUT that was when he was in Jacksonville we'll see how he does under Mcvay.

This ^^

And I can't get the 2017 reg. season finale against the 49ers out of my head. Mannion played like hot garbage against the 9ers starters.

Bortles is definitely an upgrade.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems like losing your QB is a death sentence for a season. There's examples that defy that, like our '99 Rams or the Eagles of a couple years back, but for the most part you're screwed.

I do think going from Mannion to Bortles is a big upgrade obviously. But the way I expect Goff to play this season there would be immense dropoff if we have to go with Blake. IMO the difference is Super Bowl favorite (I think we're the top contender) to a wildcard type team that is a longshot.

Oh and obviously a really critical element in surviving that is your defense. You gotta have a good defense to pull that off. The '99 Rams defense was outstanding, surrendering only 15.1 ppg, and the '17 Eagles allowed for 18.4 ppg, both ranked 4th in the league in their respective seasons. IMO defense buys you room for error, which is why it's so important in surviving a QB loss.

Rams' defense might be elite this season. If so, I think we run the table behind Goff, and still have a chance with Blake if that were to happen.