The Coming ESPN Bloodbath/Dilfer, Schlereth out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...owitz-john-skipper/1qyp55nrppaub1omvedncxtmfg

'Bloodbath' in Bristol: ESPN could cut 70 people
Michael McCarthy

espn-logo-031517-getty-ftrjpg_1h7rh1f22titj1l09afstn7rui.jpg

(Getty Images)

The layoffs at ESPN might turn out worse than predicted, sources tell Sporting News.

The Worldwide Leader in Sports could cut around 70 TV/radio anchors, reporters, analysts and online writers over coming days and weeks, sources said.

That would be worse than the 40 to 50 on-air talents predicted by ESPN book author James Andrew Miller during a podcast with Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.

The higher numbers may reflect the inclusion of online writers like respected Titans beat reporter Paul Kuharsky who tweeted Monday his contract is not being renewed.

"This could be a bloodbath," warned one source.

ESPN's corporate campus was "eerily silent" Tuesday, said another source, as staffers anxiously waited to see who'll survive what management is euphemistically describing as a "right-sizing."

"It's like the dead calm before a horrible storm," said the source.

ESPN management would argue that salaries for on-air talent have gotten out of control.

Some ESPN stars are earning from $1.5 million to $3 million, according to Miller. They're not going to make that kind of scratch at other networks. To save their jobs, some of these talents are renegotiating their deals for lesser pay, said sources.

It's no coincidence the layoffs are taking place before ESPN parent Disney's release of its 2nd quarter financial results on May 9.

With ESPN losing 12 million subscribers over the past five years, the brass in Bristol have to show Disney management and Wall Street its willing to bite the bullet on costs.

"They’re not growing. So the only way to show fiscal responsibility is to lay people off," said a TV insider. "This is all Wall Street-driven. This is all about Disney ordering a Code Red."

ESPN declined to comment.

PREVIOUS:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Some ESPN anchors fearing the loss of their jobs are proactively asking management if they can cut their salaries, sources tell Sporting News.

The move to renegotiate existing contracts makes some sense. ESPN is poised to lay off or buy out dozens of your favorite ‘"SportsCenter” anchors, reporters, commentators and online writers over the coming days and weeks.

Rather than waiting for the Turk to come knocking on Cutdown Day, some on-air personnel, and/or their agents, are asking if they can keep their job in exchange for reduced pay.

Their pitch: They love ESPN. They don’t want to leave. They’re willing to take one for the team, even if it means less cash and exposure at the Worldwide Leader in Sports.

It's worth a shot, but it remains to be seen how successful this negotiating move will be. ESPN has lost 12 million subscribers over the past five years, reducing its footprint to 88 million homes from a high of 100 million. The days of half-measures are over. The layoffs are beginning.

On Monday, Paul Kuharsky, the respected ESPN staff writer covering the NFL's Titans, confirmed he'd been given his walking papers. He could be the first among 30 or so staff writers whose contracts won't be renewed, said sources:

View: https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/856554063151890432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportingnews.com%2Fother-sports%2Fnews%2Fespn-layoffs-espn2-mike-greenberg-mike-golic-sportscenter-am-katie-nolan-charissa-thompson-fs1-jamie-horowitz-john-skipper%2F1qyp55nrppaub1omvedncxtmfg

With parent Disney and Wall Street looking on, ESPN management is playing hardball.

The network is looking to slash tens of millions of dollars in salary costs. Unlike October 2015 — when ESPN pink-slipped 300 behind-the-scene producers, directors and staffers — this downsizing will target the 1,000-plus TV/radio anchors, reporters, commentators and online reporters who constitute the public face of ESPN.

The cuts could kick in before Disney's fiscal second quarter earnings call on May 9 and ESPN's glitzy upfront presentation to Madison Avenue ad buyers on May 16.

That's where the company is expected to announce the new Mike Greenberg solo show on ESPN that will end the 17-year TV partnership between Greenberg and "Mike & Mike in the Morning" partner Mike Golic on ESPN2.

“ESPN is calling this a ‘right-sizing,'” said one source. “They’re trying to focus on their core on-air talent and get the maximum amount out of them, just like everybody else does."

The looming layoffs have set off a "panic of biblical proportions" among on-air talent. Many of the anchors/analysts in danger of losing their jobs are under contract, some for multiple years, said sources.

ESPN is making some of these employees an offer: They can accept 50 percent of the money remaining on their deals and walk away free as birds, or they can hold out for every penny owed, in which case they’ll probably benched and rendered largely invisible on ESPN TV/radio/digital media platforms moving forward.

That's a tough call for on-air talent used to guaranteed TV/Radio exposure and annual raises, said sources. Their decisions may depend on their age and experience, said one source.

"The 30-somethings may look at being off TV/radio as a fate worse than death," said another source. "The 50-somethings, on the other hand, might enjoy a couple of years' vacation courtesy of ESPN."

Even while ESPN is in cost-cutting mode, it's still on the hunt for new talent, especially at the expense of rival Fox Sports 1, led by ex-ESPN phenom Jamie Horowitz.

No less than ESPN president John Skipper himself has tried to recruit FS1 rising star Katie Nolan, host of "Garbage Time," sources told Sporting News. ESPN also tried to hire back ex-ESPNer Charissa Thompson for Chris Berman's anchor post on "Sunday NFL Countdown" before handing the job to Samantha Ponder.

It's easy to forget that ESPN's famous anchors are in our home and on our TV screens almost every day. The suspense around who will stay and who will go has generated enormous national interest among sports media reporters and readers.

Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated was first to report that ESPN would launch "significant" cuts on the "talent side." ESPN book author James Andrew Miller then told Deitsch on an SI podcast he expected 40 to 50 on-air personalities to lose their jobs.

Last week, Daniel Roberts of Yahoo Finance reported the axe would mostly fall between May 1 and May 9. His story has drawn nearly 3,000 comments, testifying to fan passions about ESPN and its talent.

View: https://twitter.com/readDanwrite/status/856495385753399297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportingnews.com%2Fother-sports%2Fnews%2Fespn-layoffs-espn2-mike-greenberg-mike-golic-sportscenter-am-katie-nolan-charissa-thompson-fs1-jamie-horowitz-john-skipper%2F1qyp55nrppaub1omvedncxtmfg

Some of the ESPN veterans facing the layoffs are remarkably sanguine. Anchor John Buccigross, whose contract expires July 1, told Sporting News in an exclusive interview that he's ready for whatever decision management hands down.

"I'm not stressed," said Buccigross, 51, who joined ESPN in 1996. "Whatever happens, happens."

A personal note: Having lived through many layoffs in the newspaper/magazine business, I hope many of these people can save their jobs. What's surprising, and saddening, is that this is happening at ESPN.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Good article to remind us (me?) that despite how much ESPN sucks as an organization, there are real people involved who are losing their livelihoods. Shame how the mighty have fallen, although they really did it to themselves.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Their Open Left-Wing Bias is partly responsible. When I watch sports, I want it politics free. I stopped watching ESPN.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Interesting and, to me, quite surprising. Seems like such a turn of events from the past couple years where they have been hiring/extending a lot of high profile talent, adding a bunch of new shows, and even opening a second major studio in LA

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Kinda sorta reminds me of when MTV stopped playing music video's

I just channel surfed through all 5 of my ESPN channels , not one was actually showing a sport live

ESPNU was showing a old rerun of a North Carolina football game

The rest just had some kind of talk show , that is pretty much just like the other 147 talk shows that ESPN has

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll work for pickles!
~Mike Sando

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Their Open Left-Wing Bias is partly responsible. When I watch sports, I want it politics free. I stopped watching ESPN.

I had this problem too

But i soon discovered what they mean when they say "LEFT WINGER" is actually referring to a hockey player's position

From wikipedia:

Left Winger, in the game of ice hockey, is a forwardposition of a player whose primary zone of play on the ice is along the outer playing area. They typically work by flanking the centre forward on the left side of the rink

Famous Hockey Left Wingers:

Luc Robitaille
Bobby Hull
Brenden Shanahan

ESPN is totally biased when it comes to the Left Wingers like Shanahan and don't even considering the value of any other position on the ice

I'm just kidding tomas,
but seriously the irony about your post is you technically did to ROD what you accuse ESPN of doing to you, bringing up politics :LOL:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I just wish they had just one news show

And I don't mean SportsCenter , which only covers about 8 stories , followed by 10 minutes of opinions

All I want is a one hour show that covers ALL the news of the day ,

Jack-Webb-Just-The-Facts-Man-Large.jpg

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I just channel surfed through all 5 of my ESPN channels , not one was actually showing a sport live

The rest just had some kind of talk show , that is pretty much just like the other 147 talk shows that ESPN has

i mean to be fair here there needs to be a game being played live for them to air it. they arent magicians that can pull a live sporting event out of their asses

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
i mean to be fair here there needs to be a game being played live for them to air it. they arent magicians that can pull a live sporting event out of their asses
That's why ESPN needs 5 different channels , to not cover all the sports that aren't being played

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

But the difference would be MTV continues to make money and revolutionized TV with their reality based model

And like you say, it's sort of like Netflix when they stopped focusing on dvd rentals and switched to a content provider. But again in the case of Netflix they are doing far better now

ESPN has just become like the Holy Roman Empire of TV networks - bloated, arrogant, uninspired, and badly produced

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
ESPN has been garbage for about five years, so yeah no big surprise there. Don't watch them any more, and I don't check their crappy @$$ website either.

Guess there isn't enough NY and NE fans to keep them afloat after all eh? They can suck it. Hope Disney guts them.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I feel for the people that will lose their jobs, but this is long overdue. How many people do we need to host a morning Sportscenter?? Every morning there are 4 of them plus all of the other contributors here, there and everywhere. It is too much already.....

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
That's why ESPN needs 5 different channels , to not cover all the sports that aren't being played

and when they only have 1 or 2 channels to air games when they are actually being played, the issue would be "omg why dont they have more channels for all these games." Im sorry but your argument is incredibly flawed. ESPN's biggest money makers are by far college football and college basketball, which both have a bunch of games going on at once, hence the multiple channels. Im sure they would love be able to save money by only having all of their channels active and available when they need them and offline when they dont but thats not how it works. They either have them all year or not at all if because it makes them more money to have them extra channels then not to they are stuck with bogus and useless showing on some of their channels during times of the day/year when there isnt enough sporting events for them to air.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I have a 40 minute each way daily commute.

Mike and Mike on the way in, and Jalen and Jacoby on the way home.
This is the first I've heard of the break up of Mike and Mike.

This news is hitting me pretty hard.

(Almost as hard as when I saw a post on facebook from a buddy that said: "RIP Cluck Norris". I sure read that post wrong. For a few minutes I was completely devastated about the loss of his Rooster at the hands of their neighbor's dog)

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
ESPN has outlasted its usefulness, as far as I'm concerned. 30 years ago, they were the only game in town for cable sports coverage. Nowadays, 90% of their programming is either NBA or MLB (2 sports for which I give 0 fucks).

Thank heaven for NFL & NHL Networks!

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm sure TV rights contracts have a lot to do with it

How may times a day do you hear ESPN talk about NASCAR