The Chiefs do make some moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They resign Dwayne Bowe to 5 year deal and tag Branden Albert.

So yeah, lucky the Rams won't overpay for Dwayne Bowe and Branden Albert + Alex Smith...IDK what they'll do w/ the 1st pick. Might still take Luke Joekel or trade down....

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd imagine they'll still take Joekel and just move Albert to guard. They have to improve that line, and that would make a world of difference. Hell, you or I could take a few snaps under center if they wen't that route.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Putting Branden Albert @ gaurd...and he's gonna make damn near $10 million?

It has to be trade down.

iced

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/albert-has-no-interest-in-changing-positions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... positions/</a>

The Chiefs have applied the franchise tag to left tackle Branden Albert. And Albert says that, moving forward, he fully intends to remain where he has been.

“I’ll be playing left tackle,” Albert said Monday, via Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.

But Albert admitted he hasn’t spoken to new coach Andy Reid or new offensive line coach Andy Heck. Thus, for all Albert knows, they plan to move him back inside; after all, he played guard in college.

Those plans could accelerate if/when the Chiefs still make left tackle Luke Joeckel the first overall pick in the draft.

Albert has some leverage in this situation. He can withhold services until the eve of the first regular-season game, before signing his tender and receiving the full amount of the $9.828 million offensive lineman franchise salary.

pass rusher now?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not gonna lie ,,, I wanted Bowe. :bummed:

Some believe that Bowe will become a slacker now that he's cashed in. We're bout to find out...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:

Some believe that Bowe will become a slacker now that he's cashed in. We're bout to find out...

I wanted him too.

I thought Bowe was a good player despite the QB play around him. Give him a QB like Sam Bradford and he could blow up.

I guess we'll never know. Now he's got the weak armed Alex Smith sending passes his way - still an upgrade over what he's used to - but not a stud.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
CGI_Ram said:
Selassie I said:

I wanted him too.

I thought Bowe was a good player despite the QB play around him. Give him a QB like Sam Bradford and he could blow up.

I guess we'll never know. Now he's got the weak armed Alex Smith sending passes his way - still an upgrade over what he's used to - but not a stud.

Watch him pull a Shaun Alexander after signing this contract. We'll feel better about this then. :ww:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Clarification:

Exactly how is a team able to sign a player of theirs that is set for free agency before the free agency period begins?

I'm a little confused... :huh:

Angry Ram

rams24/7 said:
Clarification:

Exactly how is a team able to sign a player of theirs that is set for free agency before the free agency period begins?

I'm pretty sure you can resign or cut players anytime you want.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
rams24/7 said:
Clarification:

Not the gospel but I'm pretty sure you can re-sign anyone still on your roster any time you want as long as they are still under contract and amenable to a deal. I think that the problem comes in when FA starts - mainly UFAs here. If they opt out or become a FA, then their contract essentially ends and you are then bidding for their services along with everyone else.

I actually thought they would franchise him again anyway if a deal couldn't be struck so I'm not sure any of this really matters to us as a franchise. He wasn't really going to be an option and I don't believe we were going to offer him that kind of bank to come here.

Personally, I don't think he is hungry enough for what we're looking for. Maybe that's just me though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:

Y'know, I was pretty leery of Bowe. I felt like this kind of dynamic wouldn't have been good for THIS team. Sorry but I'd rather the Rams take NO ONE on the high profile list. Look. We had what.... zero players on the Pro Bowl squad? Do you think that these guys take that to heart? I know I sure as hell would.

So develop players within your system. Pull some players off of practice squads. Get your QB and MLB familiar with players so they can put them in winning situations. I'm just not a big acquisition FA guy. It frankly pisses me off that we have let so many good to great players go rather than develop them. Doesn't Fletch or Bly or Bettis piss YOU off? That's the kind of shit that just makes me want to scream. But at least we pulled in Bennett in his prime.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
rams24/7 said:
Clarification:

UFA i believe....its ongoing if i'm not mistaken.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

Y'know, I was pretty leery of Bowe. I felt like this kind of dynamic wouldn't have been good for THIS team. Sorry but I'd rather the Rams take NO ONE on the high profile list. Look. We had what.... zero players on the Pro Bowl squad? Do you think that these guys take that to heart? I know I sure as hell would.

So develop players within your system. Pull some players off of practice squads. Get your QB and MLB familiar with players so they can put them in winning situations. I'm just not a big acquisition FA guy. It frankly pisses me off that we have let so many good to great players go rather than develop them. Doesn't Fletch or Bly or Bettis piss YOU off? That's the kind of shit that just makes me want to scream. But at least we pulled in Bennett in his prime.

:pizzed:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the Chiefs. They seem content to be average to above average. I agree with re-signing both players if they plan to draft a franchise QB because it gives him a supporting cast. But trading Smith makes no sense to me. Just seems like a move to keep them relevant but not in the Super Bowl hunt.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

:pizzed:

Exactly! :sly:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
rams24/7 said:
Clarification:

Players don't actually become unrestricted free agents until March 12th when the free agency period begins. So, you can re-sign your own player before that period starts. We could sign Danny to a new deal before next Tuesday. You can't sign a player from another team before next week.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
March 6, 2013 8:20 PM EST)

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.

Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract with Kansas City last offseason, but after franchising LT Branden Albert on Monday and there being a plethora of young tackle prospects in the draft, his services were no longer needed. The move saves $3.5 million in cap space. Winston should have plenty of options on the open market. For what it's worth, he's played most of his career in a zone-blocking scheme. A reunion with the Texans would make some sense. The Dolphins, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, and Lions also showed interest in him last offseason. His release clears a path for the Chiefs to take one of Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft if they so choose.

SOURCE: PROFOOTBALLTALK ON TWITTER

JuWahna Bee Newz Bot :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BatteringRambo said:
March 6, 2013 8:20 PM EST)

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.

Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract with Kansas City last offseason, but after franchising LT Branden Albert on Monday and there being a plethora of young tackle prospects in the draft, his services were no longer needed. The move saves $3.5 million in cap space. Winston should have plenty of options on the open market. For what it's worth, he's played most of his career in a zone-blocking scheme. A reunion with the Texans would make some sense. The Dolphins, Rams, Ravens, Redskins, and Lions also showed interest in him last offseason. His release clears a path for the Chiefs to take one of Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft if they so choose.

SOURCE: PROFOOTBALLTALK ON TWITTER

JuWahna Bee Newz Bot :p
Winston's a guy that Fisher was interested in last year when he was cut by the Texans.

Angry Ram

Pass on Winston. No need for an older vet w/ w/e money he gives. He was OK in Houston and bad in KC.