The case for cutting DeSean Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...son-in-danger-of-being-released-by-the-eagles

Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson is coming off the best season of his career. During Philadelphia's run to the playoffs and the NFC East title, he carved out career highs with 82 catches, 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. Pretty darn good, right?

Yes, but that doesn't mean Jackson isn't in danger of losing his job.

Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com told PFT Live on Wednesday that Jackson could be "one false step" away from getting cut.

One reason why might be because Jackson, who just finished the second year of the five-year, $48.5 million contract he signed before the 2012 season, talked about wanting a new deal in January, saying, "I definitely feel it's something deserving. We'll see how that plays out. Hopefully, we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

Plus, as PFT points out, there's a way to release him that wouldn't cost the Eagles that much money, writing, "Dumping him with a post-June 1 designation would result in a cap hit of only $2 million in 2014 and $4 million in 2015. It also would create $10.5 million that could be spent in 2014 or later on other players, like perhaps quarterback Nick Foles, who'll be eligible for a new deal after the coming season."

Also, there have been times when Jackson didn't get along so well with receivers coach Bob Bicknell. For example ...

1.gif

So, that's the theory on why Jackson could be cut. Will it happen? In my opinion, it's unlikely, because Jackson still is a No. 1 receiver.

But if Jackson draws the ire of Kelly again or continues to crow about wanting a new deal -- even though 2013 was actually the first season in which he caught more than 62 passes in a year -- perhaps the team will figure it's better just to get rid of him rather than pay him a ton more money.

It probably won't happen, but with free agency rapidly coming our way, it's something to consider.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-desean-jackson-draws-patriots-49ers-interest

This didn't take long to escalate.

Mere hours after we pointed out that recent trade speculation isn't sitting well with DeSean Jackson, a report has surfaced that the Philadelphia Eagles are listening to offers for the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Citing a league source, CSN Philly's Derrick Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking at least a third-round draft pick "and potentially more" in return for Jackson. The team has already heard from the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots, per Gunn.

The 49ers are an interesting match, as they are desperate for a speed element in the passing game and Jackson played collegiately in the Bay Area at Cal.

Why would a team favored to win the NFC East and contend for a Super Bowl appearance be willing to trade its No. 1 receiver and biggest mismatch in the passing game?

Jackson and coach Chip Kelly got off to a rocky start last offseason. There has been mounting speculation that the high-maintenance receiver is not a fit for the culture Kelly wants to instill.

We suspect the braintrust took an awfully dim view of Jackson's public plea for more money in January, less than two seasons after he was awarded a five-year, $48.5 million contract coming off a disappointing campaign.

Even with Jackson's unique talent, that perceived me-first attitude and a top-10 salary at wide receiver will challenge the Eagles' efforts to get fair value in a trade. If they decide to pull the trigger, it makes sense to wait until the weekend of the 2014 NFL Draft to see if they can lasso a replacement playmaker for Nick Foles.

Ram_of_Old

A couple teams are interested, including the Pats.........NOOOOOOO

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow he actually talked to the media about a new contract two years into a deal that paid him that kind of money........that never goes over well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow he actually talked to the media about a new contract two years into a deal that paid him that kind of money........that never goes over well.

Yeah, and if he got hurt or missed time he was willing to give some back. Oh... Wait... Nah he didn't. Dudes a douche.

iced

i want his ability in horns, if only he could leave his ego and attitude in philly

PhxRam

Don't need him or his 'tude. We have Tavon

I cant say I would be overly thrilled about having him either.

I have faith in Fisher though. If he thinks he can get the guys head on straight, I got to believe him. His (Fishers) history indicates he has a way with some nutjobs.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I cant say I would be overly thrilled about having him either.

I have faith in Fisher though. If he thinks he can get the guys head on straight, I got to believe him. His (Fishers) history indicates he has a way with some nutjobs.

Agree - the guy is electric and Fish could harness him. But we drafted Tavon to be that guy..

Belicheat has that gift too. Watch, he'll go to the Pats and be Randy Moss Pt.2. Noooooooo

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he lands in the AFC, fine. With the Pats? All the better to root against.

I just don't want him in SF.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Guys........for ten mil and losing a draft pick or two you want that?

Nooooooooo

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
And just think, we could have drafted him instead of Avery. At least he has trade value, even if he is a malcontent. :D