The Cardinals are tough...but overrated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Good post. :D With the addition of Veldheer & Cooper coming back I think our O-Line will be vastly improved. There is a battle right now for RG & RT which I think if it ends up being Watford & Massie we will have a young & very athletic line this year. I agree if the Cards have a competent line our offense will be pretty damn good. Also this will be the second year now with our offense installed. Palmer, Fitz, Floyd etc struggled early on with still trying to learn the offense. It wasn't until mid season that they started to really grasp what Arians was trying to do. Palmer has come out & said it's night & day difference between last years camp & this years.

Why thank you :D Just makes sense to be realistic about things especially teams within the division. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing who is going to win those right side of the line battles throughout training camp. And one thing I hadn't realized is how much of a pain in the ass bringing in a new offense is. Us Rams fans know all to well what that bodes having a new system like 3 or 4 years in a row with last year finally being the first consistent year for Sam.

In any case I hope at least when you play us your O-Line doesn't play up to par :) lol
Against the Shit Hawks and Whiners I hope you win those battles!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
7-1 vs. teams with losing records
3-5 vs. team with winning records
2-4 vs. the division

Not a strong 10-6, but I'd take it.
Meh.... this isn't college and quality of win count for nothing. The won the ones the were supposed to win and did ok in the hard fought battles. At least the beat the ShitHawks at home.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Good post. :D With the addition of Veldheer & Cooper coming back I think our O-Line will be vastly improved. There is a battle right now for RG & RT which I think if it ends up being Watford & Massie we will have a young & very athletic line this year. I agree if the Cards have a competent line our offense will be pretty damn good. Also this will be the second year now with our offense installed. Palmer, Fitz, Floyd etc struggled early on with still trying to learn the offense. It wasn't until mid season that they started to really grasp what Arians was trying to do. Palmer has come out & said it's night & day difference between last years camp & this years.
I still think Palmer is going to benefit from Arians. Palmer had gotten into some really bad habits and was cavalier with the ball when he came to Arizona. And it's a process to unlearn those bad things. But he showed some pretty good progress last year when the whole team was in it's first year under Arians. Right around game 8, things started to come together for Palmer and the offense. Up 'til that point, he had thrown multiple interceptions in 5 straight games but from game 8 to game 16, he only had 2. 1 or fewer picks in 7 of the last 9 games shows improvement IMO.

It's kind of like Warner's time in AZ. He had to work very hard at not throwing the untimely pick. There were many games where things were going well and the Cardinals had a lead where he'd just Favre it up and throw a pick on a stupid chance. Palmer seems to suffer from that as well but I think he's getting better. Favre, Warner, Palmer...the thing they had in common is they were all willing to take a chance. It's part of what made them who they were but that has to be a contained attribute. Favre did it that one year in Minnesota late in his career but then fell off the wagon. Warner got it under control and had a great swan song. I think Palmer's on that path. Due in large part to Arians but I think Palmer's getting it done.

Which is scary for the NFCW. If Arians can resurrect the good Palmer of '05 and '06, with an improved line, better running game and those WR's? The Cardinals should be in very good shape on offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cardinals more at ease with new offensive plan
Kent Somers, azcentral sports

Unlike many NFL players, Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer enjoys everything about practicing: installing new plays, refining old ones, bantering with teammates, even meeting reporters under a mesquite tree afterward.

But in the spring of 2013, practices produced more frustration than satisfaction. Coach Bruce Arians was in his first season, and he and his coaching staff were installing an offense that was harder to pick up than a wet watermelon seed.

"Myself and other guys were out here last year … just swimming (mentally)," Palmer said. "Inside your head you're thinking about 80 different things."

A year later, the world is spinning slower for returning Cardinals players. Arians' system makes sense to them now, and they are confident it's going to show on the field this fall.

"We're working so much more efficiently," receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "We're finishing (practice) periods with two, three minutes left. We're not having to restart, regroup and do over. It's very encouraging."

Poor performance on offense is the main reason the Cardinals haven't made the playoffs since 2009, quarterback Kurt Warner's last season before retiring. The defense improved steadily over the next four seasons, but offensive malfeasance kept the Cardinals at home each January.

It was a problem again over the first half of 2013. On the field, Palmer and his receivers often looked like different game plans had been downloaded on their iPads.

Palmer sometimes threw to green, grassy areas where he thought a receiver was going to be. A receiver sometimes altered his route based on a certain coverage, only to see Palmer throw it the other direction.

Receivers and Palmer often looked at each other with palms up, either seeking an answer for what just happened, or perhaps praying for divine intervention.

Things started to change around midseason. The Cardinals won seven of their final nine games to finish 10-6, mostly because the offense raised itself to mediocrity.

Over those nine games, Palmer passed for 16 touchdowns and had nine throws intercepted. In the first seven games, the ratio was reversed: eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

The Cardinals scored an average of a touchdown more a game in the second half of the season. That's significant in a league where almost half the games are decided by seven points or fewer and more than 20 percent by three points or fewer.

Arians is convinced his offense has turned a corner, not just put its blinker on.

"Where we're at this point is like light-years from last year," he said last week after the team's first full-squad workout of the off-season. "They are getting on the same page. Every play, they come back and there is good dialogue — 'Why did you break out? Why did you break in?' "

Last year, everyone went through a steep learning curve. Fitzgerald, for instance, had to learn three receiving positions after playing primarily the same one in six seasons under former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

So on any one play, Fitzgerald can line up in three different spots. And on that one play, there are a few pass routes he can run, depending upon the defensive-backfield alignment and how many defenders are rushing Palmer.

Last spring, Fitzgerald admitted, there were times he broke the huddle unsure of what he was supposed to do. That's an uncomfortable thing for any player, especially a 10-year veteran.

"It was difficult," he said. "I'm glad that's in the past and we're into a new year, into a new season. The young guys now can ask us (veterans) what we're doing and we are able to get them going. Last year, everyone was in that same learning stage."

That included some of Arians' assistants, who were only barely more familiar with the system than the players were.

"I was learning. We all were learning as a staff," receivers coach Darryl Drake said. "Probably as a coach, I didn't help them as much as I can help them now, because I'm better. We're all better at understanding what exactly we need to do, where we need to be. It's night and day."

Last Tuesday, Palmer struggled to find words when asked to contrast last year's first off-season practice with this year's.

"Today I was thinking about one thing and that was my first progression, my second progression, my third progression," he said, referring to reading defenses. "So it was actually enjoyable. It wasn't frustrating."

But let's insert the fine print here.

It's Memorial Day weekend. Every NFL team is unbeaten for the 2014 season. Even Browns fans have hope.

The Cardinals could have four new starters on the offensive line, including two who haven't played a down in a regular-season game, and Palmer is not the most mobile of quarterbacks. One of the starting tight ends could be a rookie.

Palmer had just two more touchdown passes than interceptions a year ago, and Fitzgerald has finished with fewer than 1,000 yards receiving in each of the past two years.

There is much for the Cardinals to prove, but they are confident they will.

"We've got a ton of work to do," Palmer said, "but it just feels so good to be confident and be comfortable and know the guys around you know that you know what you're doing.

"There's not a shadow of a doubt on certain plays where there was in the past, like there are in new systems and new offenses. Just a great start and a long way to go."

1400888838000-6.jpg

Cardinals quarterback Logan Thomas (6) runs a play at rookie camp at the team's practice facility in Tempe on Friday, May 23, 2014. (Photo: Charlie Leight/azcentral sports)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Andre Ellington will be Arizona’s workhorse
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2014

ellington.jpg
AP

The workhorse tailback may be a dying breed, but its yet to go the way of the dodo bird.

In Arizona, second-year running back Andre Ellington is poised to become the go-to option in the backfield. According to Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910 in Phoenix, coach Bruce Arians said that Ellington will get 25-30 touches per game this year.

That works out to anywhere from 400 to 480 carries and catches for the season, a staggering amount of activity for a running back in any era.

Larry Johnson set the record for single-season rushing attempts in 2006, with 416. He added 41 catches that year, for 456 touches.

As a rookie during a season in which Ellington made Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams irrelevant, Ellington had 118 rushing attempts and 38 receptions, for a total of 156 touches.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
AZ averaged 26 rushes/game last season(20th).
I'll be surprised if they increase that total/game this season.

I think Ellington is a very good RB, but i wonder if he can carry that type of load. His most productive season at Clemson he only averaged 17 carries/game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
AZ averaged 26 rushes/game last season(20th).
I'll be surprised if they increase that total/game this season.

I think Ellington is a very good RB, but i wonder if he can carry that type of load. His most productive season at Clemson he only averaged 17 carries/game.

Where Ellington really impressed me was catching passes down the field. Arians doesn't have him relegated to the dump offs check downs like the Rams backs have been, for the most part.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think Palmer is going to benefit from Arians. Palmer had gotten into some really bad habits and was cavalier with the ball when he came to Arizona. And it's a process to unlearn those bad things. But he showed some pretty good progress last year when the whole team was in it's first year under Arians. Right around game 8, things started to come together for Palmer and the offense. Up 'til that point, he had thrown multiple interceptions in 5 straight games but from game 8 to game 16, he only had 2. 1 or fewer picks in 7 of the last 9 games shows improvement IMO.

It's kind of like Warner's time in AZ. He had to work very hard at not throwing the untimely pick. There were many games where things were going well and the Cardinals had a lead where he'd just Favre it up and throw a pick on a stupid chance. Palmer seems to suffer from that as well but I think he's getting better. Favre, Warner, Palmer...the thing they had in common is they were all willing to take a chance. It's part of what made them who they were but that has to be a contained attribute. Favre did it that one year in Minnesota late in his career but then fell off the wagon. Warner got it under control and had a great swan song. I think Palmer's on that path. Due in large part to Arians but I think Palmer's getting it done.

Which is scary for the NFCW. If Arians can resurrect the good Palmer of '05 and '06, with an improved line, better running game and those WR's? The Cardinals should be in very good shape on offense.

I'm not betting on that happening. Palmer was never the same after his injury to his throwing arm. And his arm has declined since then. IMO, he's an average QB at this point. Don't see him being more than that.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Offense: Cards, by a lot.
Defense: Rams.

Interesting you say that. Not sure if I agree. Guess it depends how you look at it. The Cards offense might have been better statistically, but who would you rather choose if you had to pick one? I think the Rams are the better choice taking into account where each team is headed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Interesting you say that. Not sure if I agree. Guess it depends how you look at it. The Cards offense might have been better statistically, but who would you rather choose if you had to pick one? I think the Rams are the better choice taking into account where each team is headed.
Long term i agree, but i wouldn't be surprised if AZ fields the best offense in the division this season. Palmer needs to stay healthy and effective for that to happen.

IMO they drafted foolishly in terms of putting immediate need over pure talent and that front 7 is thin depth-wise. They'll be tough on both sides of the ball but they seem to be "all in" in terms of breaking through now vs building a long term threat. I'm cool with that as a Rams fan :)

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm not betting on that happening. Palmer was never the same after his injury to his throwing arm. And his arm has declined since then. IMO, he's an average QB at this point. Don't see him being more than that.
It's possible but I think Arians is teaching him to be a QB that doesn't rely on arm strength. As in, making better decisions. Palmer isn't a spring chicken but he's still got some gas left in the tank. 2-3 years of productive football and I think he'll be tickling 30 TD's in 2014.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Andre Ellington will be Arizona’s workhorse
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2014

ellington.jpg
AP

The workhorse tailback may be a dying breed, but its yet to go the way of the dodo bird.

In Arizona, second-year running back Andre Ellington is poised to become the go-to option in the backfield. According to Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910 in Phoenix, coach Bruce Arians said that Ellington will get 25-30 touches per game this year.

That works out to anywhere from 400 to 480 carries and catches for the season, a staggering amount of activity for a running back in any era.

Larry Johnson set the record for single-season rushing attempts in 2006, with 416. He added 41 catches that year, for 456 touches.

As a rookie during a season in which Ellington made Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams irrelevant, Ellington had 118 rushing attempts and 38 receptions, for a total of 156 touches.
sounds like the ol Cards are following suit in the tough run game division

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Long term i agree, but i wouldn't be surprised if AZ fields the best offense in the division this season. Palmer needs to stay healthy and effective for that to happen.

IMO they drafted foolishly in terms of putting immediate need over pure talent and that front 7 is thin depth-wise. They'll be tough on both sides of the ball but they seem to be "all in" in terms of breaking through now vs building a long term threat. I'm cool with that as a Rams fan :)

But what is your take on their o-line? Any anyone else's take for that matter. Did they really do enough to fix it this off season?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
But what is your take on their o-line? Any anyone else's take for that matter. Did they really do enough to fix it this off season?
My take is that it has been upgraded on paper...BUT as we Rams fans know all too well, plugging new faces into an OLine doesn't always translate to being better right away.
Idk anything about their LT Veldeer other than he's huge, but just being huge won't help you vs Robert Quinn.
Their talented LG Jonathan Cooper is coming off a broken leg last season and is still essentially a rookie. They also like the center, Lyle Sendlein.

Cards fans seem to think they've solved the OLine issues but are mildly concerned with the right side still. They're hoping that last years 4th rd pick Earl Watford steps up at RG. They're weak at RT.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Forgot about the Cooper pick from last year, and Veldeer seems to be highly touted. But still, it sounds like they could still use some help along the line if they're hoping for a fourth rounder to come through. I'm not saying we don't have similar issues to worry about, but at least we've made an obvious push to fix the O-Line this offseason.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Good point. Everyone always points out teams who are overrated or tough as you say, but it's important to check out the underrated teams.

People are talking about the Cardinals now, but the lowly Rams are still an underrated team in my opinion. Fine by me though. Less media crap to deal with and even more reason to surprise the rest of the league.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cardinals report: Bruce Arians now has believers in Arizona
Kent Somers, USA TODAY Sports

TEMPE, Ariz. — In spring 2013, Bruce Arians sounded delusional when he said the Arizona Cardinals could contend for the NFC West title.

He's saying the same thing in 2014, and far more people are taking him seriously.

The Cardinals finished 10-6 in Arians' first season as head coach, and a year's experience in his system should make them better in many ways.

The offensive players understand the scheme now, and there was considerable improvement over the latter half of 2013.

The defense played consistently well throughout the season, so there are fewer questions on that side of the ball.

The Cardinals didn't bemoan the fact a 10-6 record wasn't good enough for a playoff berth. Going 3-4 over the first seven games doomed them.

They won seven of their last nine and were the last team to beat the Seattle Seahawks, who went on to win the Super Bowl. That victory, combined with a close loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the season finale, should give the Cards confidence they can compete in 2014.

"When we went to St.Louis (in the season opener), we really didn't believe we were that good," Arians says. "That game (a 27-24 loss) came back to haunt us. When we went to San Francisco, we really didn't believe. You have to build belief. I don't think there's a guy in that room right now that doesn't believe we can walk out in any stadium in the NFL right now and compete."

Still, the Cardinals must answer serious questions in training camp.

"You have to build it every year," Arians says. "If you can keep selfishness out and selflessness in, you're OK."

Quarterback

Since trading for Carson Palmer a year ago, Arians has been emphatic Palmer can lead the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. Palmer needs to play this year like he did in the final nine games in 2013 (16 touchdowns, nine interceptions). In the first seven games, he ran a deficit in those categories (eight touchdowns, 13 interceptions). Drew Stanton is No. 2 behind Palmer. Ryan Lindley and rookie Logan Thomas are competing for the final spot.

Running back

Last year, the Cardinals limited how much they gave Andre Ellington the ball. They weren't sure the 5-9, 199-pound rookie could take a pounding. But he was more durable than they thought and as explosive as they expected. With the retirement of Rashard Mendenhall, Ellington becomes the featured back. Arians said he would like to get Ellington the ball 25 times a game. That's a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea. Stepfan Taylor and Jonathan Dwyer are the main backups.

Wide receiver

Michael Floyd enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2013, and he and Larry Fitzgerald are a formidable starting duo. The additions of veteran Ted Ginn and rookie John Brown give the Cardinals the speed they lacked a year ago. In coordinator stints with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts, Arians showed he knows how to handle those types of players. Ginn and Brown not only give the Cardinals deep threats, but they should be able to turn short catches into significant gains.

Tight end

Arians likes formations with two tight ends, so depth is important. Jake Ballard is probably the best all-around tight end on the roster. John Carlson impressed during the spring, and Troy Niklas, a second-round pick, is an excellent athlete. But there are questions. Rob Housler has speed but hasn't been a reliable receiver. Ballard hasn't played much since tearing a knee ligament in the Super Bowl two years ago. Carlson has a history of concussions, and Niklas missed most of spring practices because of injuries.

Offensive line

There likely will be at least three new starters, perhaps four. The left side should be better with the acquisition of free agent Jared Veldheer at tackle and the return of guard Jonathan Cooper from a broken leg that cost him his entire rookie season. Center Lyle Sendlein holds the group together. The right side is unsettled. Entering camp, Paul Fanaika is the starting guard and Bobby Massie is at tackle. Both are being challenged, though.

Defensive line

The starting three — ends Calais Campbell and Darnell Docket and nose tackle Dan Williams — are formidable, and the depth is better than it has been in years. Frostee Rucker and rookie Kareem Martin should allow Campbell and Dockett adequate rest. Nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu might miss games while recovering from a torn knee ligament.

Linebacker

Daryl Washington is suspended for at least a year for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Fellow inside linebacker Karlos Dansby left for the Cleveland Browns via free agency. They were the team's best playmakers last year. Kevin Minter, a second-round pick in 2013, takes over for Dansby. Larry Foote, 34, was signed in late spring. The outside spots should be deeper than in previous years, with John Abraham and Matt Shaughnessy as the starting pair.

Secondary

Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie are big, physical cornerbacks who can play the press coverage that coordinator Todd Bowles prefers. Peterson is on the verge of superstardom. Cromartie signed a one-year deal in free agency and appears over a hip ailment that hindered him a year ago with the New York Jets. Starting free safety Tyrann Mathieu might miss the start of the season because of a knee injury suffered late last season. Rookie Deone Bucannon is expected to start at strong safety, and the free safety job is open until Mathieu returns.

Special teams

Kicker Jay Feely was re-signed, but two other kickers are on the roster. Punter Dave Zastudil won't be challenged. Ginn is expected to take over punt-return duties from Peterson. He can return kicks, as can Brown. If Lorenzo Alexander returns from injury, the coverage teams should be better.

Coaching

All of Arians' assistants return from a year ago. Arians has proved adept at motivating and adjusting. In his first full NFL season, Bowles molded one of the league's best units, though the losses of Washington and Dansby hurt.

Somers writes for The Arizona Republic

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Palmer throws a ton of picks, he can't move, and he's a very old 34 held together with band-aids. He was sacked 41 times last year, a career high, and I don't see that improving in the NFC West. How anyone can expect him to last 16 games this year is beyond me. What are you basing it on? Last year was his first 16 game season in 4 years.

It looks pretty simple to me. An aging immobile QB, with bad knees, in a pass happy offense, and playing in division with vicious defenses - That is a recipe for disaster.

I actually feel sorry for Palmer this year. Everyone knows that Palmer is the key to beating the Cards. Those West defenses are gonna be coming after him like wild boars hunting truffles. You may have to close your eyes.

Matt Waldman said on the Footballguys podcast when the Rams picked Donald that Arians will be looking for another job.

Max, this is the funniest damned thing I've read in a looooog time, man.

"I actually feel sorry for Palmer this year. Everyone knows that Palmer is the key to beating the Cards. Those West defenses are gonna be coming after him like wild boars hunting truffles. You may have to close your eyes".

Keep 'em coming... Lol.