The Buccaneers just might be the best team in the best division in football in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...eam-in-the-best-division-in-football-in-2017/

PHOENIX -- There is a rising, young, confident team in the NFC South, and it isn’t who you think.

While the Falcons were a blown 25-point lead away from being the Super Bowl champions in February, there’s another young team a little south of Atlanta that might be poised to take the next step, possibly unseating the division champs.

Yep, watch out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A year ago, under first-year coach Dirk Koetter, the Bucs finished 9-7, just missed the playoffs and beat the Falcons at the Georgia Dome in the first week of the season. It’s that type of season, combined with having a franchise passer in Jameis Winston and a group of young, improving players, that has the Bucs as a team you should know more about in 2017.

You might get your chance, too.

There is a strong possibility that the Bucs could be the team that is featured on the HBO series “Hard Knocks.” They are one of several being considered, but it looks like it very well might be Tampa Bay that lets the NFL voyeurs spend training camp getting to know this team better.

Most coaches would cringe at the idea of having cameras around 24 hours a day, but Koetter isn’t one of those -- if indeed Tampa Bay is that team. It would be good to get this team national exposure, which has been lacking in recent years.

“I think it would be good,” Koetter said. “When a team has not been one of the main faces of the league for a while, it can be a contribute to that. The No. 1 thing that contributes to that is winning football games.”

This is a team that won nine last season, and is being built around Winston, the third-year quarterback who was the top overall draft pick in 2015. Winston would be one of the stars of “Hard Knocks” if the Bucs are chosen, but he’s also the star of the offseason -- as usual.

Winston is a grinder who never seems far away from working on his game. He trains with Tim Grover, the former trainer for Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Koetter said Winston also got his Tampa Bay receivers together in Houston to work out recently, and when he’s in Tampa, he calls local college receivers together at a park.

“The one guy I know who will be ready to roll on April 17 [first day of OTAs] will be Jameis Winston,” Koetter said.

Winston threw for 4,080 yards with 28 touchdown passes last season, but he also threw 18 interceptions. That gives him 33 interceptions in his first two seasons in the league, which is way too many.

That’s because Winston takes chances. He is a gunslinger who will try to fit passes into tight windows, looking to make big plays. But Koetter said that’s one thing that Winston has to change moving forward, and it’s something that will be even more of an emphasis as he matures.

“The next thing Jameis has to do is understand the ball is the most important thing, and that every play does not have to be a great play,” Koetter said. “He’s been really good at turning bad plays into good plays, but when we look at all of our tape we spend more time on our bad plays than good plays. All plays aren’t going to be home runs. Jameis has to learn when it’s time to cut our losses and get to the next play. Sometimes going to the next play is punt.”

To help Winston, the Bucs signed former Redskins receiver DeSean Jacksonas a free agent. He will give them deep speed opposite Pro Bowl receiver Mike Evans.

The defense made big strides as well last season under coordinator Mike Smith. With the addition of free-agent defensive tackle Chris Baker, and likely using their first-round pick on that side of the ball, the Tampa Bay defense should improve on its ranking of 15th in points allowed.

There are still some issues on offense. The offensive line is just OK, and their best runner is Doug Martin, who will be suspended the first three games. That’s why when a picture of Winston working out with Adrian Peterson hit the internet Tuesday, it got a lot of attention.

“I’ve seen Adrian Peterson many times -- one of the best running backs to ever play,” Koetter said. “I’m anxious to talk to Jameis and ask him about how his workouts went.”

The defense has some issues as well. They don’t have a great edge pass rusher, although second-year player Noah Spence has that ability. They need help in the secondary as well.

Then there’s the division itself. The Falcons won it last season on their way to the Super Bowl; the Panthers won it in 2015 when they made the Super Bowl. The Saints have reloaded some this offseason, improving their defense, and you know the Asshole Face-Drew Brees marriage will again roll up big offensive numbers.

It has a chance to be the best division in football this season, and winning it will be an accomplishment.

“The last two Super Bowl teams have come out of our division, teams we know well, so our guys say, ‘This is possible because we beat those teams and then watched them make it to the Super Bowl,’’’ Koetter said. “Expectations are a good thing. If you don’t have them, you’re not going to be around as a player or a coach. If you are a in the NFL, you have to have high expectations. If you can’t have high expectations, and you players don’t have high expectations, you probably don’t want those guys on your team.”

Get to know this team, whether they do Hard Knocks or not. They will be a playoff team in 2017 -- maybe even a lot more than that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won't be a bit surprised. I'm a big fan of Jameis. He reminded me a lot of a young Favre.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Good read. I have nothing against Tampa and in matter of fact I rather see them do better than any other team in that division. Now with DJack it is going to be exciting football coming from down there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe the best Team in the NFC South, But there not going to be in the Best Division in the NFL! JMHO!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I won't be a bit surprised. I'm a big fan of Jameis. He reminded me a lot of a young Favre.

You were dead on about Winston and that's why I have hope for that Goff kid.
jaredgoffseahawks-e1474497653657.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Many of you already know how I feel about the Tampon fucs.

But just to be clear... Fuck Tampon. I have been sickened by them since the 79 NFC Championship game. I was there... and since then, I've been at just about every Ram game played there.

I'm a Nole and I'm a big Jameis Fan. He's a baller. Too bad he has to play for those clowns.

Fisher never lost a game to Tampon... I will always appreciate that when I think of Fisher.... not much else,,, but that's a big deal for me. Mahalos Jeff if you're visiting right now.

I hope they go 0 - 16 every year.

Ram65

Legend
Winston get a great combo in DeSean Jackson and Mike Evans. Peterson could be a nice pickup and won't have to carry the load all season. Seems like they have some holes in what looks like a tough division.

“The next thing Jameis has to do is understand the ball is the most important thing, and that every play does not have to be a great play,” Koetter said. “He’s been really good at turning bad plays into good plays, but when we look at all of our tape we spend more time on our bad plays than good plays. All plays aren’t going to be home runs. Jameis has to learn when it’s time to cut our losses and get to the next play. Sometimes going to the next play is punt.”

Sounds like Favre. He has to know his limits. He is so competitive that it can overload his judgement.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Ugg! I banged the table hard for the Rams to trade down the Greg Robinson pick, and draft Mike Evans, and then with the extra pick take the next best wide receiver in the greatest WR draft since the 96'.

On the bright side I sincerely hope Snead the new crew of coaches create a dynasty! Put the nasty back in dyNASTY coach McVey! I look forward to drafting players with IQ's above room temperature. Receivers who can catch and run a precise route tree. A center we can be proud of! Controlling the Clock! Cool uniforms...

McVey and company make me feel refreshed as a healing sea breeze. Go RAMS!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tampa needs to be removed from contention for what they did to their uniforms. The scarlet/pewter look was one of the league's best before they added those idiotic numbers and oversized the flag.

But yeah, add me to the list of guys who are impressed by Winston. Only question with them is that defense. You gotta have a good points allowed to be a legit contender IMO, at the very least below 20 ppg but preferably down in the 17 or better range. Last year's Falcons are just the latest example IMO. Bucs btw were 23.1 ppg, gotta reduce that by at least 3-4 ppg and if so yeah, they're gonna be deep in that mix.