The Brown Family Is Cheap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

I have red and heard several stories about the cheapness of the Brown Family, owners of the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals ownership is widely known in NFL Circles as the "Kansas City Royals" of the NFL. The Brown family rarely gives new contracts to existing Bengals players. And they never go into free agency and spend money.

The new "Salary Floor" that kicked in this year is called "The Brown Rule" by many NFL Insiders. With the Salary Cap teams can not exceed a maximum spending limit set by the league every year before the start of the new leage year. The Salary Floor kicked in this year via the new CBA due to cheap ownership like the Brown Family that refuses to spend money. This year teams are required to spend up to 97% of the Salary Cap. The Bengals went into free agency with around $35 million in cap space. As of recent league numbers the Bengals have only spent around 12 million of that. Leaving around 20 million in cap space with little to nothing left on the market. League insiders expect them to re-sign OT Andre Smith. But he will be a 5 million a year player.

The Brown Family also refuses to staff College and Pro Scouting Departments. They have no GM. No Team President. The NFL stepped in around 10 years ago and told them they had to "join the modern age" and demanded them hire front office personal. To date I don't think Mike Brown has done so. Many fans question why Marvin Lewis continues to be retained after a decade of being the Head Coach with only one Division Title and Zero Playoff Wins. The reason he is retained is because no one else wants to go to Cincinnati and deal with the Brown Family cheapness. And the Brown Family knows they would have a tough time getting anybody to come in because that individual knows the Bengals have zero chance of winning Super Bowls due to a lack of spending, a lack of front office, and a lack of scouts.

Playmaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Why even own a team at that point?

Because the Brown family is raking in huge amounts of cash from their share of the NFL tv deals, radio deals, revenue sharing, etc.. They are exactly like the Royals and Pirates in MLB.

…..

Legend
My first thought upon reading this was....

Carson Palmer was right to get so frustrated that he just quit, saying he had 70million reasons in the bank to not play for the Bengals anymore.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW Gentlemen this was the Rams under Madam Georgia Frontiere. The only reason she spent money in 1999 was because of the cash cow she received from the Gateway City. At times she was penny wise (Vince Ferragamo) and dollar foolish (Bert Jones). She was the reason Eric Dickerson was traded because she did not want to pay the man. Good God even Robert Irsay paid him.

One Ram poster put it best and I have to concur with this assessment. With the exception of Carroll Rosenbloom (Owner) Don Klosterman (GM) and Chuck Knox (Head Coach first time) this is the best regime the Rams have ever had including their time in Cleveland & Los Angeles.

The have an owner with deep pockets (no owner has more money when you factor in Mrs. Kroenke) who takes a laissez-faire approach and lets his people he pays good money to run the football side. A COO in Kevin Demoff who takes a different refreshing approach to the CAP a GM who not only has great hair, but has brought some great scouts and pro player personnel guru's. And a Head Coach who players love to play for and has a great reputation around the league.

So all that is left is a grand venue (similar to the Colts) for all Ram fans to enjoy and of course several more Super Bowls would be nice and always kicking the 49ers arse too.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Playmaker said:
I have red and heard several stories about the cheapness of the Brown Family, owners of the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals ownership is widely known in NFL Circles as the "Kansas City Royals" of the NFL. The Brown family rarely gives new contracts to existing Bengals players. And they never go into free agency and spend money.

The new "Salary Floor" that kicked in this year is called "The Brown Rule" by many NFL Insiders. With the Salary Cap teams can not exceed a maximum spending limit set by the league every year before the start of the new leage year. The Salary Floor kicked in this year via the new CBA due to cheap ownership like the Brown Family that refuses to spend money. This year teams are required to spend up to 97% of the Salary Cap. The Bengals went into free agency with around $35 million in cap space. As of recent league numbers the Bengals have only spent around 12 million of that. Leaving around 20 million in cap space with little to nothing left on the market. League insiders expect them to re-sign OT Andre Smith. But he will be a 5 million a year player.

The Brown Family also refuses to staff College and Pro Scouting Departments. They have no GM. No Team President. The NFL stepped in around 10 years ago and told them they had to "join the modern age" and demanded them hire front office personal. To date I don't think Mike Brown has done so. Many fans question why Marvin Lewis continues to be retained after a decade of being the Head Coach with only one Division Title and Zero Playoff Wins. The reason he is retained is because no one else wants to go to Cincinnati and deal with the Brown Family cheapness. And the Brown Family knows they would have a tough time getting anybody to come in because that individual knows the Bengals have zero chance of winning Super Bowls due to a lack of spending, a lack of front office, and a lack of scouts.

Playmaker said:
bluecoconuts said:
Why even own a team at that point?

Because the Brown family is raking in huge amounts of cash from their share of the NFL tv deals, radio deals, revenue sharing, etc.. They are exactly like the Royals and Pirates in MLB.

Snakes in the grass want all the Money none of the work

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On one hand spending on FA is the quickest way to fuck up a team, but on the other hand the NFL is bascially forcing Cincy to spend it's moolah.

Their drafts recently have been pretty good and especially since Too Overrated and "Ochocinco" left, that team has been on the rise. Tough D, good offense, good OL. Been to playoffs now twice.

It's a real catch 22; do you spend and then look stupid later for doing so or do you not and be an unpopular owner?

fearsomefour

Legend
Fans can almost always forgive spending money and missing on a big money free agent. They can almost never forgive letting good opportunties leave because of cheapness. You have to at least try.
Living in a gambling city the guys I know that are successful gamblers (there are not many) claim it is as much about managing your money in relation to how you bet. That same mentality is why I liked the Rams approach with Long. They didnt panic and up their offer when the Dolphins and then Steelers got involved. If he signed somewhere else, bummer, but, they still had their budget in check and had a back up plan Im sure.
This administration is such a breath of fresh air. Love it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They do have a scouting department now...albeit a tiny one.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
fearsomefour said:
Fans can almost always forgive spending money and missing on a big money free agent. They can almost never forgive letting good opportunties leave because of cheapness. You have to at least try.
Living in a gambling city the guys I know that are successful gamblers (there are not many) claim it is as much about managing your money in relation to how you bet. That same mentality is why I liked the Rams approach with Long. They didnt panic and up their offer when the Dolphins and then Steelers got involved. If he signed somewhere else, bummer, but, they still had their budget in check and had a back up plan Im sure.
This administration is such a breath of fresh air. Love it.
Unless the FA is Drew Bennett.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
BuiltRamTough said:
Who's been in the playoffs the last two years Dallas or Cincy?
That's a good point, and to be fair, I believe that the Brown family has been more willing to spend money recently. But they do have the reputation of being very cheap and owning the team to make money only.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As a Royals Fan,,, I'm offended by this comparison. So what if it's true, the Browns are a factory of sadness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8[/youtube]

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Selassie I said:
As a Royals Fan,,, I'm offended by this comparison. So what if it's true, the Browns are a factory of sadness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8[/youtube]

The brown family owns cincy

Psycho_X

Legend
den-the-coach said:
BTW Gentlemen this was the Rams under Madam Georgia Frontiere. The only reason she spent money in 1999 was because of the cash cow she received from the Gateway City. At times she was penny wise (Vince Ferragamo) and dollar foolish (Bert Jones). She was the reason Eric Dickerson was traded because she did not want to pay the man. Good God even Robert Irsay paid him.

One Ram poster put it best and I have to concur with this assessment. With the exception of Carroll Rosenbloom (Owner) Don Klosterman (GM) and Chuck Knox (Head Coach first time) this is the best regime the Rams have ever had including their time in Cleveland & Los Angeles.

The have an owner with deep pockets (no owner has more money when you factor in Mrs. Kroenke) who takes a laissez-faire approach and lets his people he pays good money to run the football side. A COO in Kevin Demoff who takes a different refreshing approach to the CAP a GM who not only has great hair, but has brought some great scouts and pro player personnel guru's. And a Head Coach who players love to play for and has a great reputation around the league.

So all that is left is a grand venue (similar to the Colts) for all Ram fans to enjoy and of course several more Super Bowls would be nice and always kicking the 49ers arse too.

A-men. It'll be interesting to see how this franchise is viewed 10 years from now. Kroenke has the blueprints to make it one of the best in all aspects of the game. Very excited to watch it develop.