The Bright Side of Gurley's Big Contract.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Turducken

Starter
NFL running backs are notoriously underpaid. It is a function of injury risk and the rookie contract structure under the CBA and a little bit of supply/demand.

Nevertheless, the Rams signed Gurley to a market resetting contract after just three years, even though the Rams had him under contract for two more years (not including franchise tags). I'm happy for Gurley, no one deserves the money more, even if Gurley's knee has me on pins and needles. But I gotty say that contract is paying dividends with two elite RB's (on playoff teams) holding out for Gurley money this year, and two more on the horizon next year.

Zeke is digging in his heels and his absence will likely cost the Cowboys a game or two (and make it that much easier to secure one of the first round byes). Next year, the Saints and the Panthers will be in the same boat. I'm rooting for Zeke to hold out until he gets elite WR money.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
He deserves the money but building a team around a running back is generally not a winning formula.

The Patriots pay their running backs nothing year after year and win championships.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
He deserves the money but building a team around a running back is generally not a winning formula.

The Patriots pay their running backs nothing year after year and win championships.
99% of the time, yes, but Gurley was an exception. He really is a special RB. Speed, power, route running, blocking, hurdling(!), with a nose for the endzone.
You do what you need to do for special running backs, or you just trade them away like the Colts did with MF (though that Edge guy wasn't half bad).

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Two things you always hear about the Gurley deal.

One, "They overpaid for the RB position"

True, but you can see the dividends as they avoided any internal strife and players view this team as a team that takes care of their vet players. So this not only keeps the lockerroom happy, but it also attracts veteran guys like Weddle and Matthews.

The 2nd is that "They paid him too early"

Well in this instance I look at it as it was worth it to do it early because it allows the Rams to walk away earlier if he has health issues and pay for the years where he is actually earning it.

Had they waited, it is likely they would be paying him an extra season longer when he is more diminished or if he has injury issues. So if he begins to falter, the Rams can now walk away after 2020 and still reduce his cap number.

That is significant looking at the fact more vets will be getting paid over the next two years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bright side for me is the angst paying Gurley created around the league. The Dallas situation this year is the latest entertaining chapter and I am enjoying it greatly.

tempests

Hall of Fame
That Gurley will spend his best years here and not have his time with the Rams end like Dickerson and Bettis did.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For me just from listening to Gurley's interviews & stories about him ...... He seems like a real down to earth good young man who's best quality..... just might be.....what's inside.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm behind zeke 100%. the corpse can go fuck himself.

he tried the same thing with emitt and he showed that bag of wind who was the boss. the cowboys lost both games he sat out and after that the corpse quickly signed him up for the amount emitt was happy with. i think they didn't lose another game that year and won the superbowl.

make that fucker pay up zeke.

love how rbs are making a stand for what's right in this corrupt nfl system for rbs.

Ram65

Legend
I think the Rams went overboard on the contract. Todd deserves a good contract but, they didn't need to blow things up. It's a tough situation for running backs to get the big pay other positions get. I hope TG has a great year and stays healthy. Rams have some big cap hits coming with 17.25 Mil and 13.2 Million in 2020 and 2021.

I'm much more concerned with the Eagles then the Cowboys. hope Zeke is around when they play the Eagles . The Saints deserve whatever happens to them with Kamara.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams went overboard on the contract. Todd deserves a good contract but, they didn't need to blow things up. It's a tough situation for running backs to get the big pay other positions get. I hope TG has a great year and stays healthy. Rams have some big cap hits coming with 17.25 Mil and 13.2 Million in 2020 and 2021.

I'm much more concerned with the Eagles then the Cowboys. hope Zeke is around when they play the Cowboys later int eh year. The Saints deserve whatever happens to them with Kamara.

I applaud the rams for paying Gurley what he deserved. He well and truly played up to the contract last season. It's not his fault there was no backup that could see the field and as a result he was overused to the point he broke down. That's the rams fault.

Moving forward they will ensure he is not overused so he can contribute in the business end of the season.

Ram65

Legend
I applaud the rams for paying Gurley what he deserved. He well and truly played up to the contract last season. It's not his fault there was no backup that could see the field and as a result he was overused to the point he broke down. That's the rams fault.

Moving forward they will ensure he is not overused so he can contribute in the business end of the season.

Broken down or not I still think the Rams overpaid him relative to the market for RBs at the time.

TexasRam

Legend
I was completely fine with the contract.

Gurley is a once a decade RB when you consider his all around game.

He can explode for big gains, Run for power at the goaline, catch the ball like a WR, pass protect, break tackles, doesn't fumble, doesn't make mental errors and is a great team player and locker room leader. Plus he's funny.

He nearly had back to back MVP seasons.

Imagine if we didn't pay Gurley and had a contract dispute going on. The Rams took care of Gurley and Donald, their two best players and that was smart.

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
99% of the time, yes, but Gurley was an exception. He really is a special RB. Speed, power, route running, blocking, hurdling(!), with a nose for the endzone.
You do what you need to do for special running backs, or you just trade them away like the Colts did with MF (though that Edge guy wasn't half bad).
You're right about him being special. But, how much is too much $? He was fine against the Cowboys, but then in the Championship game he went into a funk that continued into the Superbowl. He averaged around 5 yards a carry. When CJ Anderson stepped in, he continued to run for 5 yards a carry. In fact, any Ram running back averaged over 3 yards per carry BEFORE contact ; the highest amount in the league. The Rams offense is a league leader in scoring. They accomplish this by beating up defenses with the Play action Pass. The high average per rush helps achieve this. Without it, the Rams offense would become one dimensional even with Todd Gurley.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right about him being special. But, how much is too much $? He was fine against the Cowboys, but then in the Championship game he went into a funk that continued into the Superbowl. He averaged around 5 yards a carry. When CJ Anderson stepped in, he continued to run for 5 yards a carry. In fact, any Ram running back averaged over 3 yards per carry BEFORE contact ; the highest amount in the league. The Rams offense is a league leader in scoring. They accomplish this by beating up defenses with the Play action Pass. The high average per rush helps achieve this. Without it, the Rams offense would become one dimensional even with Todd Gurley.

And yet the rams let cj walk and sign with the lions for peanuts.

They know Gurley is special and cj is a jag.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have no problem with the contract. Gurley is more than just a RB and I have confidence he will continue to be a great player. We could have played hardball and saved a few million on a then disgruntled player while showing the rest of the league how much we value our star talent. Instead, we stepped up and in doing so (as the OP said) are forcing other teams to do the same. We will be fine and this contract is not going to drown the franchise - quite the opposite.