The Book On Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My only problem with things like this is a need to categorize. I don't need some neat little package in which to place something. My wife is always doing this with our kids and my answer is generally that I don't like putting someone in a box - especially my own kids. In some respects, my Rams are much like my kids. They're all different and I may never think of them in a category.

It's just me and I don't begrudge anyone that want to nail someone's tendencies or character down. I just see what I like or don't like about what someone does and think of them how I do in regards to just that. Maybe all my years in politics has turned me that way. I don't care how someone is categorized. What do they actually do? Bradford is young enough and I have seen him morph enough that I'm still not sure what he is or isn't capable of. I DO like what I see in him from the situations he has been placed in though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
iced said:
max said:
kurtfaulk said:
mr.stlouis said:
Dude, that was amazing and I agree. Bradford will never be a P. Manning, poster child the adaptive QB, but as the team progresses his comfort zone will expand. Maybe there is hope the team will gel to the point that we won't be able to tell the difference. Bradford will make the most over what's there most of the time, but not much more.

And I disagree on Warner, that guy was adaptive. Adaptive QB's can also create what isn't initially there (running or throwing guys open) Bradford doesn't do that, Warner did it on two Super Bowl sleeper teams.

you can't get more adaptive than going from marshall faulk to the worst running attack in the league and still playing lights out.

admittedly he had a few years in between where he was rather average but injuries and ill fitting offenses were the cause of that.

I don't think it's that simple.

When Warner started he came into a very comfortable environment. He was surrounded by great players, HOF level players. And he did extremely well.

Then he was pretty bad due to injuries and a lesser supporting cast.

It took him 5 years to get back to his high level.

Remember Warner started 10 games for Az in 2005 and he was pretty average, throwing 11 TDs and 9 INTs with a passer rating of 85. I remember him looking pedestrian in 2005 and the general view was that he wasn't much more than a jag until 2007.

Kurt got his mojo back in 2007 for whatever reasons, health, confidence, comfort level, they are all in the conversation. By that time he was a savvy vet with 2 great WRs in Boldin and Fitz and he lit it up.

Kurt got his glove, that's what it was...

Yeah, like the old Paul McCartney song.... my glove does it good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:
The Cardinals had one WR worth mentioning.

Well that's wrong. They had Fitz and Boldin. 2 Pro Bowl quality WRs. And Warner had only 11 TDs. Warner wasn't good in 2005.

Looked up the stats and boy did you nail it.

Boldin had 102 catches, 1402 yards and 7 TD (14 games)
Fitzge had 103 catches, 1409 yards and 10 TD (16 games)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
dieterbrock said:
max said:

Well that's wrong. They had Fitz and Boldin. 2 Pro Bowl quality WRs. And Warner had only 11 TDs. Warner wasn't good in 2005.

What happens is that we all remember the great Kurt with the GSOT and then the great Kurt that carried the perennial bottom feeder Cards to their only SB in a zillion years and its hard to process his 5 middle years in the shadows. And then you top it off with his first 5 years as a pro just trying to get on the field. Heck, the story in GB was really weird where Mariucci told Warner to go into a scrimmage and Kurt refused to go in. Warner had the weirdest career in NFL history.

fearsomefour

Legend
max said:
dieterbrock said:
max said:

What happens is that we all remember the great Kurt with the GSOT and then the great Kurt that carried the perennial bottom feeder Cards to their only SB in a zillion years and its hard to process his 5 middle years in the shadows. And then you top it off with his first 5 years as a pro just trying to get on the field. Heck, the story in GB was really weird where Mariucci told Warner to go into a scrimmage and Kurt refused to go in. Warner had the weirdest career in NFL history.

Weirdest career in history I agree with. Forgot about Boldin (amazingly) but Kurt was not bad in 2005. I watched every game and he was playing at a pretty high level on a very bad team. If you only look at TDs I guess Jackson sucked all those years carrying the rock for St. Louis as he barely scored.
I did notice that Rivers is now sporting a glove with Whisenhunt in San Diego. Interesting.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:
kurtfaulk said:
mr.stlouis said:
Dude, that was amazing and I agree. Bradford will never be a P. Manning, poster child the adaptive QB, but as the team progresses his comfort zone will expand. Maybe there is hope the team will gel to the point that we won't be able to tell the difference. Bradford will make the most over what's there most of the time, but not much more.

And I disagree on Warner, that guy was adaptive. Adaptive QB's can also create what isn't initially there (running or throwing guys open) Bradford doesn't do that, Warner did it on two Super Bowl sleeper teams.

you can't get more adaptive than going from marshall faulk to the worst running attack in the league and still playing lights out.

admittedly he had a few years in between where he was rather average but injuries and ill fitting offenses were the cause of that.

I don't think it's that simple.

When Warner started he came into a very comfortable environment. He was surrounded by great players, HOF level players. And he did extremely well.

Then he was pretty bad due to injuries and a lesser supporting cast.

It took him 5 years to get back to his high level.

Remember Warner started 10 games for Az in 2005 and he was pretty average, throwing 11 TDs and 9 INTs with a passer rating of 85. I remember him looking pedestrian in 2005 and the general view was that he wasn't much more than a jag until 2007.

Kurt got his mojo back in 2007 for whatever reasons, health, confidence, comfort level, they are all in the conversation. By that time he was a savvy vet with 2 great WRs in Boldin and Fitz and he lit it up.

i think you're selling him short.

in 2004 he was running an offense that didn't suit his skillset with zero weapons at wr. still he got the giants to 5 and 4 before they benched him for eli. they didn't win another game that season until maybe the final game of the season.

in 2005, an average season but the cards thought enough of him to extend him for 2 years. in 2006 it went pear shaped for him, he couldn't get anything going with that cards offense, they may have been 2 and 3 when they benched him for leinart. they proceeded to then lose 7 games straight.

these teams had bigger problems than the qb. that's why you couldn't really judge warner's efforts those three seasons. but by this time i think everyone around the league thought he was done.

in 2007 whisenhunt came to town and brought in an offense that suited warner's skillset. even with the owner forcing whiz to play leinart he couldn't keep warner off the field putting him in for a few series per game. then the rams put leinart out of business and warner, well we all know he was lights out for 3 more seasons, even with one of the worst rushing attack in the league.

his mojo came back with an offense that allowed him to be him. plus the glove that let him grip the ball better.