The Biggest Story of Training Camp Will Be _________

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
What do you all think? Rams training camp btw, I have no interest in Johnny Manziel.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To get things started, I think we'll hear a lot about Britt looking great which is something we are all probably hoping for. Personally I would like to hear and see lots of good things about Quick.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Whether we like it or not, the biggest story is going to be about Michael Sam, and the second biggest will be about Sam Bradford.

I'd like to hear about the secondary and how our DBs are doing the most though. Hopefully they make huge strides and are recognized for it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Whether we like it or not, the biggest story is going to be about Michael Sam, and the second biggest will be about Sam Bradford.

I'd like to hear about the secondary and how our DBs are doing the most though. Hopefully they make huge strides and are recognized for it.
I don't know. After the whole OWN debacle, it seems that Michael Sam did everything he could to make himself boring to the press and just play football.

Which is exactly what he needs to do if he wants to have a chance of making the team.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't know. After the whole OWN debacle, it seems that Michael Sam did everything he could to make himself boring to the press and just play football.

Which is exactly what he needs to do if he wants to have a chance of making the team.

He's done good with that so far, but the media is going to make a big deal and big story over every little thing. Whether Sam says anything at all, he's going to be a big story because the press is full of idiots.

Chris Long doesn't high five Michael Sam after a good play? He must be homophobic.
Gregg Williams makes Michael Sam do more updowns because he was slow the first time? Williams is homophobic and hates gays.

It's just the way it is. They did the same thing with guys like Tebow, Collins etc. They make a big deal over everything, because it sells. It'll eventually slow down, but until then, it's going to be a huge story in training camp.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He's done good with that so far, but the media is going to make a big deal and big story over every little thing. Whether Sam says anything at all, he's going to be a big story because the press is full of idiots.

Chris Long doesn't high five Michael Sam after a good play? He must be homophobic.
Gregg Williams makes Michael Sam do more updowns because he was slow the first time? Williams is homophobic and hates gays.

It's just the way it is. They did the same thing with guys like Tebow, Collins etc. They make a big deal over everything, because it sells. It'll eventually slow down, but until then, it's going to be a huge story in training camp.
Sure, it's unavoidable that there's going to be a certain amount of attention paid to it.

All I'm saying is that Sam can choose to add to it or not add to it. So far he's choosing the latter, which is good.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

While I get why you are saying what you are saying, I don't see that being the case. The "news" was on draft day, and the days that immediately followed that. There may be a rush of media the first day or two of training camp, as was the case with the FIRST OTA, but after that it died down pretty quickly. Sam has made it pretty clear he doesn't want it to be about anything other than football, and Fisher has been around long enough to understand how to deflect and curtail any unwanted chatter.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
While I get why you are saying what you are saying, I don't see that being the case. The "news" was on draft day, and the days that immediately followed that. There may be a rush of media the first day or two of training camp, as was the case with the FIRST OTA, but after that it died down pretty quickly. Sam has made it pretty clear he doesn't want it to be about anything other than football, and Fisher has been around long enough to understand how to deflect and curtail any unwanted chatter.

I hope you're right. I like Sam, but I'm going to get sick of him and want him off the team if I hear much more.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
On ESPN...Michael Sam...

But per Nick Wagoner and Jim Thomas it's "Brian Quick looking unstoppable"

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I hope you're right. I like Sam, but I'm going to get sick of him and want him off the team if I hear much more.

really? and how much have you actually heard since they started OTA's, other than on message boards? I haven't seen a whole lot of media attention brought to it, like I said, since the first day or two of OTAs.

Sounds to me, that all the things you mentioned in your above post, about how they will make the least little thing into a story and turning this or that into an homophobic response, seems to be the very thing YOU are doing now. Wanting him off the team, based on things that may or not happen, even if HE personally isn't doing anything to contribute to it, is harsh. IF, the media acts in their typical irresponsible manner, how is that Michael Sam's doing?

And please don't say he didn't have to "out himself",,, because it is pretty well known, that the "story" was going to come out either way. He just chose to get in front of it, and do it on HIS terms.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The biggest story will be the Rams O-line(the Immovable Object) battling daily against the Rams D-line(the Irresistible Force). That will be epic!

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Personally I think the people who make a big deal out of Michael Sam are the ones who are homophobes themselves. It shouldn't be a big deal in today's society. We all know there are gay people out there deal with it.

But that's not the point of this thread. I want to know what FOOTBALL stories you see being popular. Last year it was Cookie, and wel,l that didn't go over too hot. But I'm still looking forward to hearing some news.

As others have said, hope to hear about the secondary, o-line, and receivers. I think Sammy B will be just fine.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Sam has been a non-story through OTAs, which is about as perfect a situation as you could want.

Once camp starts, I think Kenny Britt vs. Jenkins and Johnson will be a big story, the recoveries of Long and Bradford, and some surprise rookie looking amazing - maybe Ethan Westbrooks, maybe a guy like Mo Alexander gets out there before he's expected and just looks like the second coming of Aeneas at safety.

Also I think the players goofing on each other will get a lot of play with pranks and whatnot.

Remember last year, one of the big awesome stories was Zuerlein and Hekker and their crazy trick kicks, so there'll also probably be something we never saw coming. Maybe Tavon Austin takes up parkour in his free time or something.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
Sam has been a non-story through OTAs, which is about as perfect a situation as you could want.

Once camp starts, I think Kenny Britt vs. Jenkins and Johnson will be a big story, the recoveries of Long and Bradford, and some surprise rookie looking amazing - maybe Ethan Westbrooks, maybe a guy like Mo Alexander gets out there before he's expected and just looks like the second coming of Aeneas at safety.

Also I think the players goofing on each other will get a lot of play with pranks and whatnot.

Remember last year, one of the big awesome stories was Zuerlein and Hekker and their crazy trick kicks, so there'll also probably be something we never saw coming. Maybe Tavon Austin takes up parkour in his free time or something.

Looking forward to Britt vs Jenkins and Johnson too. That'll probably be some of the most intense action we'll hear about haha. Looking forward to the next iteration of smack cam or whatever will replace it. Finnegan is gone but you know Long will be goofin around.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Looking forward to Britt vs Jenkins and Johnson too. That'll probably be some of the most intense action we'll hear about haha. Looking forward to the next iteration of smack cam or whatever will replace it. Finnegan is gone but you know Long will be goofin around.
Yup. It was already one of the big OTA storylines, and those guys sure do chirp, so I expect a lot more of that. Hopefully combined with a growing respect for each other's talent.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
really? and how much have you actually heard since they started OTA's, other than on message boards? I haven't seen a whole lot of media attention brought to it, like I said, since the first day or two of OTAs.

Sounds to me, that all the things you mentioned in your above post, about how they will make the least little thing into a story and turning this or that into an homophobic response, seems to be the very thing YOU are doing now. Wanting him off the team, based on things that may or not happen, even if HE personally isn't doing anything to contribute to it, is harsh. IF, the media acts in their typical irresponsible manner, how is that Michael Sam's doing?

And please don't say he didn't have to "out himself",,, because it is pretty well known, that the "story" was going to come out either way. He just chose to get in front of it, and do it on HIS terms.

No, it's not anything recent that's really big. But for like a 2 week span everywhere you turned was Michael Sam, and that was a major distraction and annoyance. Every news source seemed to have at least 3-4 stories on Michael Sam in one day. If that happens again, I'm going to be really annoyed and the team should be annoyed. I'd prefer the Rams discussions be about football, not sexuality.

And I'm not doing anything, turning any little thing into a big deal. You're actually the one doing that by confronting me over a comment, so please don't be a hypocrite.

All I'm saying is that if he becomes a distraction, he should be treated like any distraction and removed. I respect him as a person and I respect what he did, but unwanted media attention isn't a good thing. Doesn't matter if it's his fault or not, or if he has anything to do with it or not. Tough luck if you're being detrimental to the team. It's not fair for the other 89 or so players.

Anyway, please don't respond back. This is why Michael Sam should have his own thread or something, because people take offense to little things like this for no reason. My mistake for bringing him up.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I didn't even think about Sam. Mainly, the only way he makes this team is as a special teams warrior or the practice squad. From what I know of him, he's a 3-4 backer who rushes the passer. One trick pony. As a 4-3 defensive end, not rat's chance in hell does he have to make the team outside of wholesale injuries.

To me, the big story moving forward will be the battles at safety, SS backer and the starting bookend WR. Austin will own the slot. I'm also interested in watching the Pead-Cunningham-Mason battle.

What a difference from four years ago- when this team had nuthin.

FRO

Legend
To me it's the health of Bradford and Long. If those guys are healthy and play at their 2013 level we will have a legitimate chance of making the playoffs in 2014. If those two battle injuries we will see a 7-9/8-8 type season again.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
I didn't even think about Sam.

Same here. Like Fish said, chances are small he actually gets a gig with us, but if we don't take him someone will.

I'm also interested in watching the Pead-Cunningham-Mason battle.

Yeah the whole RB situation should be interesting, mostly the 2nd/3rd back, but there's so much good competition there.