The best people to hire for coaching vacancies are

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The best people to hire for coaching vacancies are

• Total voters

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If you were in charge of finding a new coach for a football team (in general. Fisher hopefully isn't going anywhere for a while.), and all things are equal, which of these groups do you think produces the best coaches?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think you need to split up the D and O coordinators.

Seems to me that O coordinators make the best head coaches, after they've found success in offense first.

Was going to go for "Posters on Internet football forums" but that simply isn't true...if the option was "Poster on Internet football forums" i.e. only me I would have gone for that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tough one... I don't think there's any one formula... because being successful as a Head Coach (anywhere) requires expertise in so many things:

Here's just a few things that I think need to be in place... but I'm sure there are more...
1] Have enough power to effect change... real change (even if you're a good HC... if you're a puppet, you can't do your job)
2] Hire an effective staff
3] Be able to manage downward and upward
4] Be able to effectively spot talented players
5] Be a good motivator to all in the organization
Like I said, you could be a great HC.. but, if one or two things are missing, then you are set up for failure.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Former HC's seem to have done best by the Rams. ie Vermeil and Fisher!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seems to me that O coordinators make the best head coaches, after they've found success in offense first.
You make a good point. Unfortunately, I can no longer edit the OP.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Former HC's seem to have done best by the Rams. ie Vermeil and Fisher!

Agreed. Head coaches have the best success rates because they have been their before. However, college coaches are hit or miss but some turn out to be the right choice. Although I hate to say it, Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh have brought their teams up from nothing to the best there is. Chip Kelly only has one year under his belt but has already shown promise by winning his division and leading a top notch offense.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah, Holmgren and Andy Reid did well after being OC's.

Martz and Linehan probably weren't the worst coaches ever. They just couldn't adjust to the different responsibilities that come with being a head coach. And is probably more of a reflection of the staff as a whole.

The good 'ole boys club is cool and all, but I also like to see fresh blood get a chance to shine.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It all depends on circumstance. Fisher was a good coach with a meddlesome owner. Plus he is still young by coaching standards. So, he worked out but many HCs, well when their done, their done. OC/DC is the most common route, but again it depends on circumstances. Is the guy connected enough to put a good staff together? Is he strong enough to run a whole team?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Les Baker. He should have been on the list.

Lets not even bullshit around this. The discussion can't even get serious until his name is in the mix.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In hindsight, I probably made this too easy by specifying former coaches who had won before.

Opportunities like getting Fisher are rare. But I don't see people pounding down, say, Rod Marinelli's door for their head coaching jobs just because he's a former head coach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd say former HCs even if they didn't do all that well on their last stop. Think of Carol and that POS Bellyfat for example. At previous stops they were mediocre at best.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I dunno. It seems that enough of both have either done well or tanked to where it may be pretty much a dead heat.

FRO

Legend
The guy I would try to hire would be David Shaw. He has NFL experience. He runs a pro style system at Stanford. He has been successful in college and I don't know him, but he seems like he has a good personality and is smart. He isn't a guy that will flame out.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The guy I would try to hire would be David Shaw. He has NFL experience. He runs a pro style system at Stanford. He has been successful in college and I don't know him, but he seems like he has a good personality and is smart. He isn't a guy that will flame out.

I watched that Inside series on the USMNT, and the speech he gave the team was pretty inspiring. I'd like to play for that guy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd say former HCs even if they didn't do all that well on their last stop. Think of Carol and that POS Bellyfat for example. At previous stops they were mediocre at best.

It seems to be as close between guys with experience and guys who were at their first stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_head_coaches

Recent history, going back to DV winning it, has seen more recycled guys come out on top than before 2000. It was rare from the start of the SB to 2000, I attribute that to shorter leashes from ownership and "win now" attitudes. Coaches used to get a little more leeway.

If the trend holds out the Rams could end up winning it all again.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm partial to failed head coaches who were excellent coordinators.

Some of the best coordinators were terrible head coaches.

See: Gregg Williams