The benching of NT Tanzel Smart last Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't call it a benching for Smart, but he's definitely being passed over now. Snaps against Houston went like this :

Westbrooks - 31 at 44%
Fox - 25 at 36%
Smart - 16 at 23%
Walker - 13 at 19%

Do we know if these are the % of snaps @ NT or DT or DE or the two interior DT posts when we go 4 down linemen?
Could the 16 snaps where Smart was on the field % have taken place behind Donald & Brockers or on ST's?

I have always like Ethan Westbrooks.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ethan-westbrooks?id=2543880

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Do we know if these are the % of snaps @ NT or DT or DE or the two interior DT posts when we go 4 down linemen?
Could the 16 snaps where Smart was on the field % have taken place behind Donald & Brockers or on ST's?

Yes, the only breakdown was separating out the Special Teams snaps into their own category. Still, even if we were to assume every one of Smart & Walker's snaps were at NT, that only accounts for 42% total at the position, so the bulk, or 58%, would have been filled by Westbrooks & Fox.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What Tanzel Smart has done as a sixth-round rookie from a smaller school like Tulane is impressive in its own right. I think that he could definitely fit in the rotation next year with time in the weight room and time to learn behind vets like Westbrooks and Walker.

No shame in getting less snaps at this point; he's likely hit the rookie wall.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, the only breakdown was separating out the Special Teams snaps into their own category. Still, even if we were to assume every one of Smart & Walker's snaps were at NT, that only accounts for 42% total at the position, so the bulk, or 58%, would have been filled by Westbrooks & Fox.

Ok just finished watching the first half of the Texans game & here's what I observed:

*NT- I did not see Tanzel Smart take a snap @ NT. I saw Ethan Westbrooks & Tyrunn Walker. EW got most of the 1st quarter & TW got most of the snaps in the 2nd quarter. What I found interesting from just the first half.....most all of the defenses best plays happened when Tyrunn Walker was on the field! Walker is by far the better run stopper of the two. EW is the better pass rusher. Walker should start @ NT when its early & teams are trying to get the running game going IMO.
*DT- Aaron Donald relief was Tanzel Smart & he was not involved in much period. AD is such a joy to watch over & over & over.:D Smart does not seem as fast nor as disruptive as he was earlier not sure what's going on.
*DE- Micheal Brockers has a good relief in Morgan Fox. Fox was far more active & disruptive than Smart was.

It may be time for Omarius Bryant to be activated if Smart is battling an injury??:whistle:.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The real benefit of having somebody else at nose tackle, whether it be Smart, Westbrooks or Walker is that Brockers is playing lights out at defensive end.

So really everybody benefits.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I was surprised that Detroit let go of Tyrunn Walker because his PFF scores were pretty good per snap.

I thought it was the right thing for the Rams to let him go until he had his legal problems straightened out and I'm really glad they re-signed him once he was proven innocent.

Classy move by the Rams, it showed a player first mentality.
That makes the other players feel that the front office supports them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Walker best against the run, he's stout, however, Westbrooks did make some plays.