The 6 Man Front

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
During the Cleveland game, it was said that the browns were copying the cheatriots 6 man front that stopped the rams in the super bowl. But that defense has obvious flaw that McVay can exploit. Running right at them worked well and the area right behind the line of scrimmage is wide open for a back or receiver that sneaks out there. McVay could use those end around runs but aim them off tackle or run a wham play like the 49ers used to use with a full back going ahead of a RB like the whiners did under Harbaugh. I could see that wrecking the "patriots" defense. I'm sure McVay will figure it out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As if the cheats are gonna run that again if they meet in the superbowl again. Be prepared for something different.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is what I've been saying in my other posts. When you look at the plays it's hard to determine whether they are using some version of an inside zone or more likely they are gap blocking. When a team lines up in that 6 man front there should be an automatic audible to a quick pass or a gap blocked run play determined by the secondary scheme. If the secondary is in press man then run, if they are in zone a quick pass.

They showed gap blocking in the Carolina game so I think that is what they use for their inside runs. But it also can be used on outside runs by pulling the backside OG. Blythe doesn't pull well, while Noteboom executed it flawlessly.

IMO more teams will transition to a gap blocking scheme as it is more flexible. Gap blocking is very similar to zone blocking so the Rams have the RB's you want to use in that scheme. One cut and go types. If they used that gap blocking scheme for both inside and outside runs, then teams will stop showing that 6 man front.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm sure McVay will figure it out.

I think so. I thought the Patriots/Bears D would be the last thing teams would want to try on McVay after last year. But I imagine it's kind of hard to accomplish much of anything while you're "coaching up" an inadequately staffed OL.