The 50 NFL Players With the Worst Hands

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hands can be developed. I think the main problem with most of the Rams is focus, concentration, and confidence.
But you are what you are after so many years....Higbee is dropping the ball too much...So is Tavon. The worst thing for a QB to have is uncertainty...that his guys...will catch the ball.
If we really want Goff to succeed....we need to be honest, and find replacements.
And I'm not talking about contested catches...or drops...The silly drops while wide open...with no contact..no matter how poorly the ball is thrown.

The problem with the drops is they were across the board. And we're talking about guys who are NOT bad hands guys too, like Higbee who is an outstanding catcher of the ball to include that big catch radius McVay noted. Now, I give him a pass because he was a rook getting his rear end handed to him in a bad offense. But he's gonna be a big part of this offense because he's got a high talent level, he now has the top level coaching he needs, and he also has a QB he's tight with.

Not sure how Tavon's hands were in college. And I'd guess that the drops increase overall for players who graduate to the NFL level, so I doubt he'll ever be a good hands guy. He's an explosive plays guy so I suppose that compensates, provided they start finding ways to get him in space.

Cooper, though, had great hands in college just like Higbee. Not sure about Thomas, as I didn't watch enough of his games to have a feel for the hands question, but if his hands were good it could have been a rookie deal.

IMO the key to getting skill position guys catching the ball well is by ensuring they are playing fast and without questions in their minds, and by ensuring the QB is putting the ball in their radius and on-time. Since I see no reason why both those things won't be instilled in this offense this season, I would expect the drop tendencies to greatly improve.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO the key to getting skill position guys catching the ball well is by ensuring they are playing fast and without questions in their minds, and by ensuring the QB is putting the ball in their radius and on-time.
Exactly...stop thinking so much, and play...fast.
Thomas had some bad drops in college..but some spectacular grabs as well.
Tavon caught like 70%-80% of his passes at or around the LOS.
Cooper...I saw that too...
Remember we also have a guy...that tall guy...forget his name now.
Higbee was a receiver once...His drops concern me...as I too thought he'd have a smooth transition to the pro game...I think all the blocking bothered him. The physical aspects of the pro game. Thinking too much.

fearsomefour

Legend
Higbee's hands are fine, dude was just an overwhelmed rook. But yeah, makes me wonder wtf the coaching staff was doing last year.
He looked come tell lost in all aspects.
Like you I question the coaching and frankly putting him out there with that level of preparedness.
He was a negative more often than not on plays, particularly he was supposed to block.
Not a huge surprise. This was not a top 10 pick.
But he is. Guy with skills and athletism. He is one of the guys I am looking forward to seeing this year. See if he settles in. See how he is developed and used by the new staff. He has big potential.

fearsomefour

Legend
The problem with the drops is they were across the board. And we're talking about guys who are NOT bad hands guys too, like Higbee who is an outstanding catcher of the ball to include that big catch radius McVay noted. Now, I give him a pass because he was a rook getting his rear end handed to him in a bad offense. But he's gonna be a big part of this offense because he's got a high talent level, he now has the top level coaching he needs, and he also has a QB he's tight with.

Not sure how Tavon's hands were in college. And I'd guess that the drops increase overall for players who graduate to the NFL level, so I doubt he'll ever be a good hands guy. He's an explosive plays guy so I suppose that compensates, provided they start finding ways to get him in space.

Cooper, though, had great hands in college just like Higbee. Not sure about Thomas, as I didn't watch enough of his games to have a feel for the hands question, but if his hands were good it could have been a rookie deal.

IMO the key to getting skill position guys catching the ball well is by ensuring they are playing fast and without questions in their minds, and by ensuring the QB is putting the ball in their radius and on-time. Since I see no reason why both those things won't be instilled in this offense this season, I would expect the drop tendencies to greatly improve.
Rookie WR have a hard time adjusting first year.....in most cases. Rarely guys come in a tear it up. There is more traffic, smaller windows. What was not open in college is open sometimes in the NFL. Plus reading Ds, adjusting to blitzes and coverages ect.
What can Cooper or Thomas do?
Who knows? Neither was good last year. Higbee was largely terrible.
Being rookies an being stuck with bad coaching and in a bad O they get a pass really. There is talent there. Anxious to see how they develop.

fearsomefour

Legend
I posted stuff awhile ago about drop rates and WRs.
There are gobs of guys in that 6-8% range.
Austin has been the Rans WR with the worst hands since he came into the league. Maybe that is how he is used sometimes, maybe he has small hands.