The 5 most difficult records to Break!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It's from TST so I didn't bother reading. Those are my thoughts.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Trust me, your missing out on a great read!!(y)
I trust you Dave, but I wouldn't exactly say I'm missing anything.

The only TST writer I really respected was Dubs. RIP Dubs, your articles are sorely missed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I trust you Dave, but I wouldn't exactly say I'm missing anything.

The only TST writer I really respected was Dubs. RIP Dubs, your articles are sorely missed.
This article is an Older Article and it is By "Dubs"!!!!:D:yess:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Haha, you got me good Dave. Yes it was a really good article.

I agree on that Seattle record. Who knows maybe Coach Phillips will use that as a motivator in an upcoming game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant open the article with my work PC but I'm guessing its
1) ED 2105 season
2) Van Brocklin 554 game
3) Flipper 336 game
4) Night Train 14 INT

I cant think of #5 though.
Pretty cool to have some records!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I cant open the article with my work PC but I'm guessing its
1) ED 2105 season
2) Van Brocklin 554 game
3) Flipper 336 game
4) Night Train 14 INT

I cant think of #5 though.
Pretty cool to have some records!
The 5th is Jackie Slater - Consecutive games played in a Rams Uni "259" from 1976 - 1995! But there is a lot more to the article! Even though it's from 2015, it's a wonderful piece!!(y)(y)

tempests

Hall of Fame
They may be "unofficial" but Deacon's sack records, both for a season and a career, are unlikely to ever be broken.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They may be "unofficial" but Deacon's sack records, both for a season and a career, are unlikely to ever be broken.
I never miss an opportunity to praise my Friend!!(y) ( From one Dave, for another!)

DJ-Gif-Breathing.gif

1961-1971.jpg

Rams 1961-1971
Deacon Drafted 1961.jpg

130604111452-deacon-jones-tucker-frederickson-080085058-single-image-cut.jpg

aace8c42f521c85ffb75b209ec600973.jpg

deacon_jones_1969_09_13.jpg

Deacon10.jpg

deacon-jones-7.jpg

If the sight of him didn't scare the Shit out of them I don't know what would!!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Yeah thanks to John Turney the older sack totals get some kind of mention.

Good story. I was aware of the older records but not too familiar with Bruce's. That's crazy for a WR.

A lot of those records like ED's year, and Flipper's and Norm's games had some close calls since. Lester Hayes came close to Train's, but he was 1 off. And then they outlawed stickum! I'm still tickled to know that the Rams still hold those records and I'm quick to bring that up when the time calls for it. Or just random, I'll just shout out a Rams record in Chipotle.:p

Another deserving of honorable mention is Dryer's record of 2 safeties in a game. Lots of good pass rushers since then but no one has even tied that for 46 years.

How about that crazy game vs the Giants in 1984 where the Rams scored a record 3 safeties. I don't think any team has more than 2 in a game, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Another deserving of honorable mention is Dryer's record of 2 safeties in a game. Lots of good pass rushers since then but no one has even tied that for 46 years.

How about that crazy game vs the Giants in 1984 where the Rams scored a record 3 safeties. I don't think any team has more than 2 in a game, but I could be wrong.
Nice catch! I love remembering Dryer's Record, I for one have never forgotten it!!(y);):D
BUT I have to admit I didn't remember the 1984 Giants game. IDK IF that's still a record or not,:unsure:, maybe someone can enlighten us!!?!o_O

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 5th is Jackie Slater - Consecutive games played in a Rams Uni "259" from 1976 - 1995! But there is a lot more to the article! Even though it's from 2015, it's a wonderful piece!!(y)(y)
I thought Favre had the most consecutive starts?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I cant open the article with my work PC

St. Louis Rams: The 5 Most Difficult Records To Break

All records are made to be broken. The Rams have five individual player records that may never be broken. Time for a bit of nostalgia, and a look back at records set by Eric Dickerson, Jackie Slater, Flipper Anderson, Isaac Bruce and Night Train Lane.
by Frank "Dubs" Dobozy Jul 10, 2015

Eric_Dickerson.0.0.jpg

The Rams have a rich history, dating back to their origins as the Cleveland Rams in 1936. In their 79 years of existence, the Rams have produced an illustrious group of all-time great players. Many of these players set NFL records that still stand to this day, and team records that will be difficult for any future Rams player to eclipse. As the old saying goes, records are made to be broken. The following 5 records will be the most difficult for any Rams player to break. Three of the five may never be broken by ANY NFL player.

Most Games Played In A Rams Uniform
259 Games - Jackie Slater - 1976-1995
A 7-time Pro Bowler and 2001 Hall of Fame inductee, Slater played his entire career in a Rams uniform (as a right tackle). He retired at the age of 41, after 20 seasons in the NFL. Only 12 players (among non-kickers) in NFL history have played in more games.

Of the 5 records listed, this one is the least likeliest to be broken. The NFL has become a young man's league, where 30 years of age is now considered to be "old". The Collective Bargaining Agreement, Free Agency and the salary cap ensure that players rarely remain with one team for their entire careers.

On the teams' current roster, Chris Long has played the most games in a Rams uniform (102). James Laurinaitis is next with 96 games in a Rams uniform.

Rushing Yards In A Single Season
2105 Yards - Eric Dickerson - 1984
After rushing for 1,808 yards in his rookie season with the Rams, Dickerson broke O.J. Simpson's NFL single season rushing record (2,003 yards) in his second season with Los Angeles. The record has stood the test of time, remaining an NFL (and Rams) record for the past 30 seasons.

Dickerson ranks among the Rams' and NFL's all-time greats. A 6-time Pro Bowler and 5-time 1st Team All-Pro, Dickerson was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1999. For my money, Dickerson is the greatest RB in NFL history, narrowly beating out Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders. All four were transcendent talents.

The Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson has come the closest to breaking Dickerson's record, rushing for 2,097 yards in 2012. Only 7 running backs have rushed for 2,000+ yards in a single season. It will take a special kind of season, from a special running back, to eclipse Dickerson's record. In Dickerson's record-breaking season, he averaged 23.5 carries per game, 5.6 yards per carry, and 131.6 yards rushing per game.

The Rams have had three other outstanding running backs in the past thirty years: Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson. Faulk produced three consecutive seasons with between 1,300 and 1,400 rushing yards (1999-2001). 2006 was Jackson's best season with the Rams, rushing for 1,528 yards. As a rookie in 1993, Bettis rushed for 1,429 yards. Can 2015 1st round selection Todd Gurley join the long list of Rams greats at the running back position, and challenge Dickerson's team rushing record?

Interceptions In A Single Season
14 Interceptions - Dick "Night Train" Lane - 1952
Another NFL record that has stood the test of time. 62 years unbroken and counting. Lane broke the single season record for interceptions in his rookie season with the Rams, and revolutionized the way the cornerback position was played.

Lane was a 7-time Pro Bowler, a 3-time First-Team All-Pro, and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1974. One of the all-time greats at the cornerback position.

What makes the record all the more remarkable (and unbreakable)? It was accomplished over a 12 game schedule (the norm in the 1950's) and at a time when rushing the football predominated the game (20 passes per game were a lot in those days).

Most Receiving Yards In A Single Game
336 Yards - Willie "Flipper" Anderson - Nov. 26, 1989 (New Orleans)
Talk about all the stars aligning and a player being at the right place at the right time. An injury to the Rams' leading WR Henry Ellard allowed Anderson to become Jim Everett's primary deep threat in the game against New Orleans. Anderson responded to the challenge by contributing a once-in-a-lifetime performance, breaking the NFL record for most receiving yards in a single game. In addition, he scored the game-tying touchdown in the 4th quarter. The Rams went on to win the game 20-17 in overtime.

In his 7 seasons with the Rams, Anderson caught 259 passes for 5,246 yards, averaging 20.1 yards per reception. In 1989, he led the league with an extraordinary 26.0 yards per reception.

To put Anderson's record-setting game against New Orleans into perspective, let's take a look back at Tavon Austin's astonishing, electrifying performance against the Indianapolis Colts on November 10, 2013. Austin came close to Anderson's 336 yards (on 15 receptions) in the game against the Colts, accumulating 314 yards. Except Austin's results were a total of multi-purpose yards for the game, not just receiving yards. Austin's numbers: 4 yards rushing on one attempt, 2 receptions for 138 yards, a 27-yard kickoff return and 4 punt returns for 145 yards. Anderson's performance was truly one for the ages. It's still an NFL record, 25 years after the fact.

In 2013, Detroit's Calvin Johnson came the closest to breaking Anderson's record. In Week 8, in a game versus the Dallas Cowboys, Johnson caught 14 passes for 329 yards, just 7 yards shy of Flipper's all-time record.

Career Receiving Yards
15,208 Yards - Isaac Bruce - 1994-2009 (14,109 yards with the Rams)
Isaac Bruce was an integral part of the famed GSOT. His 15,208 career receiving yards ranks 4th on the NFL all-time list (behind Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss). In 14 seasons with the Rams, Bruce accumulated 14,109 receiving yards, another team record.

A 4-time Pro Bowler, Bruce was a Hall of Fame semi-finalist in 2015, and is arguably the greatest wide receiver in Rams history.

For a wide receiver to put up the kind of numbers Bruce produced, he would need to average 1008 receiving yards per year over 14 seasons. A tall order to fill. The majority of Rams fans would be ecstatic with one 1,000-yard season from their current receiving corps.

Honorable Mention
Rushing Yards In A Single Season (Rookie): Eric Dickerson - 1808 yards - 1983

Passing Yards In A Single Game: Norm Van Brocklin - 554 yards - Sept. 28, 1951

Touchdowns In A Single Season: Marshall Faulk - 26 (18-run, 8-pass) - 2000

Receiving Yards In A Single Season: Isaac Bruce - 1,781 yards - 1995

Total Rushing/Receiving Yards In A Single Season: Marshall Faulk - 2,429 yards (1,381 rushing, 1,048 receiving) - 1999

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rookie rushing records safe....Everything else will be broken one day....l can't wait to see who gets the interception record.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thought Favre had the most consecutive starts?
The Article was talking about Rams records, and specifically stated that " Slater had the most consecutive games played in a Rams Uni."! (y);):D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rookie rushing records safe....Everything else will be broken one day....l can't wait to see who gets the interception record.
As long as they are Broken by Rams Players I'm good with it!!(y):snicker::shades: