The 49ers’ Turmoil Could Open the Rams’ Path to the NFC West/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The 49ers’ Turmoil Could Open the Rams’ Path to the NFC West
Posted by: Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2015/06/09/the-49ers-turmoil-could-open-the-rams-path-to-the-nfc-west/

Is that the sound of a door opening?

With drastic changes on every front for the San Francisco 49ers, the path to the NFC West crown is looking just a bit easier to travel.

Of course, the Rams have had their changes, replacing three starters along the offensive line, trading their one-time starting quarterback, and selecting a running back coming off an ACL injury as the face of their draft.

But, considering what the 49ers have dealt with this offseason, the on-field uncertainty for St. Louis pales in comparison.

Off-field uncertainty (read: relocation) is a topic for another day.

In one offseason the Niners have changed their head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator. They’ve also seen Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Anthony Davis and Chris Borland announce their retirements.

Davis says he’ll return in a year or two, but he’ll nonetheless be absent along San Francisco’s offensive line in 2015.

Also, Mike Iupati, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree and Chris Culliver will be playing somewhere besides Levi’s Stadium next year.

That’s a lot of turnover for one season.

With that level of change, it’s too much to envision the Niners improving on their 8-8 record from a year ago. Granted, they still have quarterback Colin Kaepernick. SanFran also drafted Gore’s replacement in Carlos Hyde last year, and added Reggie Bush, Torrey Smith, Darnell Dockett and first-round selection Arik Armstead to soften the blow of their offseason losses. With the signing of Torrey Smith, they even upgraded over what they previously had.

The fact remains that San Francisco faces the challenge of having to replace several core pieces in one offseason.

Recent Super Bowl winners Seattle, New England, Green Bay, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh emphasized how important it is to hit on draft picks. Successful NFL teams build their foundations through the draft, not free agency. General managers can’t be perfect when it comes to adding talent via the draft, but they’d better be consistent when it comes to scouting talent.

It’s no coincidence that the 49ers had a string of success after drafting Gore, Willis, Iupati, Kaepernick, Crabtree, Anthony Davis, NaVorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Vernon Davis and Joe Staley between 2005 and 2011. A team can build around a core like that.

Throw in sound free agent or trade acquisitions Justin Smith, Anquan Boldin, Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers, and that’s how a team plays three consecutive NFC title games.

But the Niners received next to nothing from their 2012 draft and are now without Gore, Willis, Smith, Davis, Iupati and Crabtree (not that he’s been the same since undergoing surgery in 2013 to repair a torn Achilles tendon).

Bowman also recently acknowledged that the knee injury he suffered in the NFC championship two years ago is still giving him problems, offering another bleak forecast for San Fran’s linebacker corps.

All of this puts more pressure on the 49ers’ 2013, 2014 and 2015 draft classes to make a significant impact this season, as well as Kaepernick not regressing as a passer. Great quarterback play can mask weaknesses, but Kaepernick hasn’t shown signs of improvement over the past two years. In fact, his interception rate and sack totals are up over the past two seasons, while his yards per pass attempt and QB rating are down.

Granted, it’s not on any one player to win games in the NFL.

But that’s also the point: Kaepernick has less talent around him this year than at any point in his career. If he can’t elevate his play, then it’s not feasible that the 49ers will overcome significant change in one offseason and make a serious run at a playoff berth.

Enter, the St. Louis Rams.

It would be convenient to be optimistic about the Rams’ offseason changes and wonder if the 49ers can withstand theirs. Plus, just because the Niners are due for a decline (they were also 6-2 in one-score games last year, which is another indication they’re susceptible to a regression), doesn’t mean the Rams will gain the wins they need to reach the postseason under Jeff Fisher.

So, how about Arizona?

With Carson Palmer coming off his second ACL injury and Todd Bowles (the mastermind behind the Cardinals’ 2014 defense) now the head coach of the Jets, the Cardinals could be due for a decline as well.

How many times can Arizona defy logic and win with average or below average quarterback production? Just ask the Rams. For as great as Bruce Arians is, at some point the Cardinals will fall off that tightrope.

So, change isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

The shift in dynamics in the NFC West this offseason puts even more pressure on Fisher and Co. to finally produce a playoff berth in St. Louis.

Nobody is ignoring St. Louis’ question marks heading into the 2015 season, but suddenly the division, outside of powerhouse Seattle, looks less daunting than it did over the past three years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
YEP!!!

If our D comes out Fast and Furious and our O can at least start out going forward and not giving games away, then YES, we do have the ability to WRECK this year.

I still suspect we'll have a few ugly moments, but then again, even when the Rams won the SB in 1999, they had some ugly moments.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
, but suddenly the division, outside of powerhouse Seattle, looks less daunting than it did over the past three years.
I wouldn't under estimate the "D's" of any of the daunted NFC West Teams this year!! Opponents will get hurt if they do!!

DVontel

Rookie
With Carson Palmer coming off his second ACL injury and Todd Bowles (the mastermind behind the Cardinals’ 2014 defense) now the head coach of the Jets, the Cardinals could be due for a decline as well.
Hmm, we were "due" for a decline last year with a departing Dansby, suspended Daryl Washington, & a Dockett/Abraham on IR.

Ah well, cannot wait for the season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-considered-retiring-because-of-concussions/

49ers’ Eric Reid has considered retiring because of concussions
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwewywiwztbmmtqzodblyzy0n2mzmweynjuyyte4yja1-e1428575578803.jpeg
Getty Images

The 49ers have lost 24-year-old Chris Borland and 25-year-old Anthony Davis to surprise retirements this season, with both players citing concussions as one of the reasons for walking away. And now an even younger 49ers player is saying he has considered walking away as well.

Eric Reid, the 49ers’ 23-year-old safety, told theSan Francisco Chronicle that although he does plan to play this year, he has given thought to retiring because he has already suffered three concussions in his first two NFL seasons.

I will continue to evaluate my own situation. If I have another concussion and I don’t feel like I can play any more, then I won’t. If I [have another concussion], and if I feel that I still can play, then I will. It’s just a case-by-case basis,” Reid said. “I know it’s a huge deal right now in the NFL and everything is being put under a microscope, but that’s how every injury is. It could be a dislocated shoulder. You evaluate your situation and see if you’re healthy enough to still play.”

Reid missed the final game of last season because of a concussion. He says he now feels fully recovered, but he is also seeking more medical opinions.

“There is a doctor that I’m looking further into and I may end up going to see,” Reid said. “Like I said, right now I’ve evaluated my situation and I feel comfortable playing.”

The 49ers, who have lost Patrick Willis and Justin Smith to retirements in addition to Borland and Davis, have to hope that Reid continues to feel comfortable playing.
---------
Okay, this is out of control.

Was Jim Harbaugh doing something we weren’t aware of or is this just a group of guys hating on Jed York?

Eric Reid is in his third season…
--------
That would be AWESOME if he did.
--------
Wow when will the 49ers be holding tryouts due to lack of players?
-------
Of all the players who’ve retired Reid probably is the one who SHOULD have retired . unless I’m wrong he’s probably the highest risk for cte disease due to his consistent battle with concussions. I don’t exactly hate seeing the niners fall apart. But I also respect many of these guys as players even though their on a rivals team…
--------
While it stinks that all of this turmoil is happening to the Niners this off-season, the reality of concussions and their effect on players becoming evident; the players are realizing the danger associated with head trauma and taking a serious look at the risk/reward factor.

It’s only a matter of time before more players on more teams continue the trend. Too bad that the NFL tried to sweep this under the rug for so long, maybe preventative technology would be more advanced. Greedy fat-cats in the league office have done this to themselves… denial is not a river in Egypt, Roger.
--------
Eric Reid is a highly intelligent articulate football player that was recruited by Jim Harbaugh to come play for him while he coached at Stanford. Reid choose to go to LSU to remain close to home. Reid’s mom is a nurse and he comes from an upper middle class family so money is not an issue.

I’m pretty sure with her background and her contacts in the medical community he has all the information at hand to make the best decision for himself. If he chooses to retire kudos to him. He has a bright future outside of football and does not need to risk further trauma to the brain
---------
Do it Eric! Do it while there’s still a few lifeboats left on the Titanic!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hmm, we were "due" for a decline last year with a departing Dansby, suspended Daryl Washington, & a Dockett/Abraham on IR.

Ah well, cannot wait for the season.
Very true, and i was one of those who wrongly predicted a weak defense for the Cards in 2014. Obviously i underestimated the true genius in AZ...which was Todd Bowles.
LB's coach Mike Caldwell also did an outstanding job last season despite a LB core that was depleted for various reasons(as you mentioned). He's representing NY green now too.

AZ's offense ranked 24th in points/gm last season. Is your defense going to be good enough to support those types of numbers in 2015? Now granted, if Palmer can somehow play 16 gm's that ranking could and should improve...but even Bowles' defense gave up alot of yards last season. It was in the red zone where his defense truly shined.

Lot's of question marks with Bowles and members of his defensive staff gone, lack of depth up front defensively, pass rush by committee, Palmer staying upright, Ellington's durability, Fitz' age, still no TE who draws coverage, which Michael Floyd is going to show up from week to week...etc.

I think we'll find out what Arians is really made of in 2015. I cannot wait either :)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
We could go 2-0 against the 49ers and still finish 3rd in the West.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I guess I'm in the minority who believes that the 49ers aren't dead just yet. Sure, they lost lost of players, but they still have some coming back from injury who didn't even play last year.
And one, in particular, who missed most of last season via suspension in Aldon Smith.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Believing the Rams will be a much different team after the bye than before, I believe we will be catching the 49'ers at a pretty optimal time. Once the Rams offense builds chemistry & jells, ... look out. We face them at home for game 8 and finish the season with them in SF, just when we should have all our youngsters on the same page. I think we sweep. jmo.

DVontel

Rookie
Very true, and i was one of those who wrongly predicted a weak defense for the Cards in 2014. Obviously i underestimated the true genius in AZ...which was Todd Bowles.
LB's coach Mike Caldwell also did an outstanding job last season despite a LB core that was depleted for various reasons(as you mentioned). He's representing NY green now too.

AZ's offense ranked 24th in points/gm last season. Is your defense going to be good enough to support those types of numbers in 2015? Now granted, if Palmer can somehow play 16 gm's that ranking could and should improve...but even Bowles' defense gave up alot of yards last season. It was in the red zone where his defense truly shined.

Lot's of question marks with Bowles and members of his defensive staff gone, lack of depth up front defensively, pass rush by committee, Palmer staying upright, Ellington's durability, Fitz' age, still no TE who draws coverage, which Michael Floyd is going to show up from week to week...etc.

I think we'll find out what Arians is really made of in 2015. I cannot wait either :)
True genius, eh? Lol, seems to me that don't want to give Arians credit because you're still a little upset about that comment about the great Jeff Fisher after the 2nd Rams game.

Bowles' defense gave up a lot of yards because we literally had no pass-rush whatsoever, which I'm sure any DC would struggle with. I am more worried about Palmer staying upright for a full season than Bowles leaving. I think we will be fine with our new DC, who is staying true to Bowles' philosophy.

To answer your questions:
1. We drafted/signed numerous OLBs/DEs so we should be fine there.
2. See #1
3. I agree.
4. We drafted a RB by the name of David Johnson to compliment Ellington, so I think we're fine. Also, Andre was never 100% healthy at any point in the regular season due to a foot injury in practice before the season began, which would explain his decline last season.
5. John Brown
6. Our starting TE was put on IR early last season due to a ankle injury, but he's all healed up and ready to go.
7. He suffered the most without Palmer out there. I expect better play for him this upcoming season.

Also, this is a big year for Fisher. Will he finally get over the hump again or will he stay the same Jeff Fisher that we all know and love which guarantees a below .500 finish? Cannot wait :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
True genius, eh? Lol, seems to me that don't want to give Arians credit because you're still a little upset about that comment about the great Jeff Fisher after the 2nd Rams game.

Bowles' defense gave up a lot of yards because we literally had no pass-rush whatsoever, which I'm sure any DC would struggle with. I am more worried about Palmer staying upright for a full season than Bowles leaving. I think we will be fine with our new DC, who is staying true to Bowles' philosophy.

To answer your questions:
1. We drafted/signed numerous OLBs/DEs so we should be fine there.
2. See #1
3. I agree.
4. We drafted a RB by the name of David Johnson to compliment Ellington, so I think we're fine. Also, Andre was never 100% healthy at any point in the regular season due to a foot injury in practice before the season began, which would explain his decline last season.
5. John Brown
6. Our starting TE was put on IR early last season due to a ankle injury, but he's all healed up and ready to go.
7. He suffered the most without Palmer out there. I expect better play for him this upcoming season.

Also, this is a big year for Fisher. Will he finally get over the hump again or will he stay the same Jeff Fisher that we all know and love which guarantees a below .500 finish? Cannot wait :)

I'd still be concerned with the pass rush.

I really like Ellington. He's a damn good player, IMO.

John Brown is a good player, but geez he's slight of frame. I realize Tavon Austin is also small, but TA appears significantly more physically stout. Brown is a hard hit away from breaking into two pieces.

Palmer still is a good player, but us Rams fans are all to familiar with the fear every time a player like him takes a hit. I don't wish any injury on the guy, but can you bank on him to be there for your first big game?

DVontel

Rookie
I'd still be concerned with the pass rush.

I really like Ellington. He's a damn good player, IMO.

John Brown is a good player, but geez he's slight of frame. I realize Tavon Austin is also small, but TA appears significantly more physically stout. Brown is a hard hit away from breaking into two pieces.

Palmer still is a good player, but us Rams fans are all to familiar with the fear every time a player like him takes a hit. I don't wish any injury on the guy, but can you bank on him to be there for your first big game?
I am a little bit concerned too, but it's already better than last year due to us only having ONE guy that was at least "okay" when pass-rushing.

Idk about that one man. TA looks thinner to me, although he is more elusive.

Palmer has been way ahead of schedule. He even participated in OTAs and Mini-Camp, which he planned to do while in rehab. I think this will be a big season not just for the team, but for him. And thankfully, he's not signing any contracts again(lol).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Believing the Rams will be a much different team after the bye than before, I believe we will be catching the 49'ers at a pretty optimal time. Once the Rams offense builds chemistry & jells, ... look out. We face them at home for game 8 and finish the season with them in SF, just when we should have all our youngsters on the same page. I think we sweep. jmo.
Even Eric Davis at NFLN ( He's a former 49er) said, yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams take over the Division this year! and he said " On paper the 49ers are the worst team in the NFC West!" ( and it looked like it hurt him to say it!)