The 24/25 year old QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Here are the passer rating for 2013 for QBs that are currently 24 or 25 years old. Looks to me like Bradford is faring just fine, all things considered.

Rank Player Rating
7 Jake Locker 99.0
9 Matthew Stafford 95.0
10 Russell Wilson 92.6
11 Sam Bradford 90.7
13 Andrew Luck 89.6
14 Cam Newton 89.4
16 Andy Dalton 87.2
17 Ryan Tannehill 85.5
19 Colin Kaepernick 83.9
21 Robert Griffin III 80.4
34 Josh Freeman 59.3

F. Mulder

Starter
I think 5 things happen with guys in their 3-5th year (obviously including your OP regarding QBs):

1) They gradually develop and improve in small, incremental, but positive steps.

2) Something just clicks and they go from one level to a higher level suddenly.

3) They are what they are, never much better or worse than their initial benchmark.

4) They slowly (and sometimes painfully decline)

5) They just flat lose it.

Regarding Brardford, I've really been down on him much more so this year than in years past. I felt he personally needed to step up, I felt he was in the same Offensive system for a second year, I felt he was given additional weapons to help him out, I felt his OL was at the worst solid. Last week was the type of performance I was expecting out of him on a more consistent basis.

So.....my point is that I'm hoping that the Houston game can be looked back on as a major turning point for Sam, or, at worst, represent a steady improvement in which he takes baby steps along the way but at the end of the year is obviously a top 10 type QB.

Make sense? :?!:

RamzFanz

Damnit
If the Rams coaching discovers ways to use their immensely talented players, SB could emerge as a top QB in the second half of the season.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This is the telling age for QBs, it's like puberty. They're gonna be awkward and ugly and sometimes outright offensive to your eyes, but generally you can see the patchwork on if they're going to get better or if they're going to stay the same.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
max said:
Here are the passer rating for 2013 for QBs that are currently 24 or 25 years old. Looks to me like Bradford is faring just fine, all things considered.

Rank Player Rating
7 Jake Locker 99.0
9 Matthew Stafford 95.0
10 Russell Wilson 92.6
11 Sam Bradford 90.7
13 Andrew Luck 89.6
14 Cam Newton 89.4
16 Andy Dalton 87.2
17 Ryan Tannehill 85.5
19 Colin Kaepernick 83.9
34 Josh Freeman 59.3

Jake Locker? :shock: Obviously these ratings are the end all be all. :lol: Not pointing it at you Max - just the rating system.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
F. Mulder said:
I think 5 things happen with guys in their 3-5th year (obviously including your OP regarding QBs):

1) They gradually develop and improve in small, incremental, but positive steps.

2) Something just clicks and they go from one level to a higher level suddenly.

3) They are what they are, never much better or worse than their initial benchmark.

4) They slowly (and sometimes painfully decline)

5) They just flat lose it.

Regarding Brardford, I've really been down on him much more so this year than in years past. I felt he personally needed to step up, I felt he was in the same Offensive system for a second year, I felt he was given additional weapons to help him out, I felt his OL was at the worst solid. Last week was the type of performance I was expecting out of him on a more consistent basis.

So.....my point is that I'm hoping that the Houston game can be looked back on as a major turning point for Sam, or, at worst, represent a steady improvement in which he takes baby steps along the way but at the end of the year is obviously a top 10 type QB.

Make sense? :?!:

That covers a lot of ground.

One thing I may add is that I think now we can see that Sam really wasn't in the same offense when he started this year. They got back to it last week. Sam looks more comfortable now and I think it has a lot to do with going back to what he was familiar with last year. As Vermeil said after the Niners game, Sam was over coached.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
max said:

Rank Player Rating
7 Jake Locker 99.0
9 Matthew Stafford 95.0
10 Russell Wilson 92.6
11 Sam Bradford 90.7
13 Andrew Luck 89.6
14 Cam Newton 89.4
16 Andy Dalton 87.2
17 Ryan Tannehill 85.5
19 Colin Kaepernick 83.9
34 Josh Freeman 59.3

Jake Locker? :shock: Obviously these ratings are the end all be all. :lol: Not pointing it at you Max - just the rating system.

Locker got off to a great start this year, throwing 6 TDs and 0 INTs in 4 games. Then he got hurt. He will return and then we will get a better idea of whether it was a fluke or he really has improved.

The passer rating system is a decent indicator, but you need a large enough sample size. Any QB that throws 30+ TDs with a rating in the 90's is a good QB.

Here are the only guys to do that last year.
1 Aaron Rodgers, 39 108.0
2 Peyton Manning, 37 105.8
5 Matt Ryan, 32 99.1
6 Tom Brady, 34 98.7
8 Drew Brees, 43 96.3