The 1979 Los Angeles Rams (First Super Bowl Season)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So awesome.
Nearly 500 yards of total offense to -7 yards of total offense vs the shehawks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So awesome.
Nearly 500 yards of total offense to -7 yards of total offense vs the shehawks.
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.
La la la la...
lol. Mary Hopkin?
You're a badass.
muscleti5.gif

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
lol. Mary Hopkin?
You're a badass.
muscleti5.gif

There is a reason guys listen to songs like that and her name was Victoria and to the Victor belong the spoils!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Now I remember what happened with Elvis Peacock. Injuries ruined what would have been a pretty good career. Tyler was pretty special though too. But man, he carried that ball loose.

Ram65

Legend
Just moved to Anaheim area in December of '79. Watched the Super Bowl in Ram's coach Ray Malavasi's bar and restaurant. They had a Big Screen and Projector setup in a hall upstairs. I was in heaven and for awhile thinking my dreams had come true until the second half. It still was amazing moving from Jersey to SoCal and unexpectedly have the Rams in the SB. Those were the days.........

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
FANTASTIC!! Thanks for posting this^!! Great memories!! Youngblood playing w/ a Broken Leg the way he did!! WOW!!(y)(y):D
Yeah. Youngblood just broke his leg a couple weeks earlier against the cowgirls. I just pulled up that video recently. He had it wrapped and came back in that game. Our defense gave Staubach fits that day. I think that was his swan song.
Our offense didn't do much either. But we had 3 big passing touchdowns, and I think a big key run by Tyler. It was Enough.

Then we went on to beat Tampa Bay 9-0 to go to the dance. Very similar to how it would go down 20 years later in a defensive struggle against the Bucs.

Keep in mind the '79 Bucs, in their creamsicle uniforms were a brand new team along with the Seaturds in '76. They were a laughingstock in '76 and '77 losing EVERY GAME until the last 2 weeks of year 2! So to be in the NFC Championship two years later must have been amazing for that franchise.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah. Youngblood just broke his leg a couple weeks earlier against the cowgirls. I just pulled up that video recently. He had it wrapped and came back in that game. Our defense gave Staubach fits that day. I think that was his swan song.
Our offense didn't do much either. But we had 3 big passing touchdowns, and I think a big key run by Tyler. It was Enough.

Then we went on to beat Tampa Bay 9-0 to go to the dance. Very similar to how it would go down 20 years later in a defensive struggle against the Bucs.

Keep in mind the '79 Bucs, in their creamsicle uniforms were a brand new team along with the Seaturds in '76. They were a laughingstock in '76 and '77 losing EVERY GAME until the last 2 weeks of year 2! So to be in the NFC Championship two years later must have been amazing for that franchise.
People Talk about Jack playing in the Super Bowl w/ a Broken leg, But they sometimes forget to mention, He played with that leg broken in the ' Conference Championship, the SB, and then turned around and played in the Pro-Bowl to top off the Season!! (That year the PB was after the SB)

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
One of the only times I've ever bet on a game was SB IXV. I was a senior in high school and one of my buddies gave me the Rams and 11 points for 30 dollars. You know how that turned out. I still can't see Bradshaw without thinking about that game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of the only times I've ever bet on a game was SB IXV. I was a senior in high school and one of my buddies gave me the Rams and 11 points for 30 dollars. You know how that turned out. I still can't see Bradshaw without thinking about that game.

Frank Corral missing the extra point is the one that cost you! That and Ferragamo throwing the pic when Billy Waddy was wide open in the end zone. Can still hear OC Jack Faulkner saying that on the Super Bowl Highlights...After the pick Faulkner from the booth..."Ray (Malavasi) Waddy was wide open in back of the end zone."

JackKirby

UDFA
Name
JackKirby
Went to every game of that year. Dad and I were season seat holders; my dad since 1951 and he started going to the games in 1946. Even sat next to Danny Thomas one game (another story for another day). We even went to our first away game: the playoff game against the Cowboys. Back then the Cowboy fans were good sports for they were certain their team would beat the Rams that afternoon. Also, we didn't taunt them and when the game was over fans even said to us: the best team won and "good luck the rest of the way." A far cry from what you hear today if you''re cheering for the other team. I remember my dad had tears in his eyes when the game ended and Rams had beaten Roger Staubach and Dallas. He just couldn't believe it--especially the cross pass to Billy Waddy that went for a TD with just a little over 2 minutes left in the game and putting the Rams in the lead for good. Ah, the memories and thanks for sharing the video of the 1979 season.