That Ramsey trade now looking like a turning point for the Rams D...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m guilty of really underestimating the impact of the Ramsey acquisition while somewhat worrying about the loss of future picks and cap costs.

But my eyes were opened by what I saw in his first game as a Ram. Our D, minus Matthews, Talib, and JJ, was transformed.

Yeah, I know that it was Atlanta, but the Falcons had had a very respectable O through their first 6 games and the Rams really shut it down except for a handful of catches by Jones. Both the Falcon run and pass game was stymied. 5 sacks on Ryan. Huge top advantage for the Rams.

All this in Ramsey’s first game after meeting his new coaches and teammates merely 4 days previously then drawing Julio freaking Jones in a cross country away game!

Color me impressed. I now see why Wade wanted to run more man coverage. And I now understand why the Rams reportedly had decided to trade Peters away whether or not they could land Ramsey. It fundamentally changed his entire D giving him blitz options and turning loose his front 7 studs. Can you imagine what can be done after Ramsey gets fully assimilated, especially with the return of Mathews, Talib, and JJ?

Won’t help the OL, of course, but a team can go far with a strong D. Maybe overtake the 49ers and win the division even? We’ll see.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If I'm not mistaken, Ryan had thrown for over 300 yards in every one of his starts yesterday. That ended emphatically yesterday, and would have likely ended even if he had made it through the full game.

Also, that hit by Ramsey that forced the fumble by Freeman ... wow. That is a physical CB.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'll have to agree. I was for the trade, but our defense looked very different yesterday. I was hoping for a few extra stops of Atlanta, but we shut them down. And while it was more than just Ramsey. Everyone looked like they understood their assignments better which allowed them to play faster. Color me impressed as Ramsey delivered the blow like a safety. The kid is a player. And he makes us much better.

Ram65

Legend
It was an impressive start for the Rams in the Ramsey era. I do question the trade with the concerns resigning Rams will have on the cap space and future moves. I don't know if Talib had been hurt for a few games before being put in IR but, he wasn't playing as well as last year. It's great to have one player be able to neutralize the opponents. Ramsey did not shut down Jones but, he did contain him. Had it been Peters covering JJ it could have been much worse. The other option is double coverage which takes away from other coverage.

1571678278740.png

It was a great start but, there are other factors in this game that also helped the Rams to a blow out win. The pass rush was much better against a weaker blocking offensive line. Hard to tell how much influence Ramsey had on that, but I imagine he had some. The Rams got a good lead early and could get pressure on Ryan which limited his time to throw the ball. It's a good start where the Rams could play a more aggressive coverage scheme. We have to see how it holds up against better opponents as the 1-5 Falcons were playing for pride.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
According to Les Snead, the Ramsey deal all started with the Rams looking for an O lineman, they tried to get OG Bitinio from the Browns, and that led to the Ramsey deal. Proof that they are not happy with the OL or the reserves.

jacktheripper85

Starter
3A56B777-C6EF-4DD1-B23A-E55D5063C8C0.jpeg

While yesterday was much better than it’s been it was the Falcons who arguably have the worst offensive and defensive lines in football. Our OL still makes me really nervous. Need to see much better run blocking and Havenstein actually play better against someone who actually has a pulse.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
While yesterday was much better than it’s been it was the Falcons who arguably have the worst offensive and defensive lines in football.
Falcons have a playoff-level passing game. Their protections look middle of the pack, but they have good weapons and Ryan has been dealing like a boss. So not even close to the worst offensive line. What's really impressive is how good they've been in spite of a poor run game too btw.

Either way Rams shutting them down was great to see. But the Falcons' offense left a lot of points on the field so there is a ton of things for Wade to work the secondary on moving forward. Ramsey was basically thrown in there and told to man up on the best wideout in the game which tells me over the next stretch of games they should be able to get better and better as he settles in.

I'm really excited to see what this unit can be with him back there.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Falcons only had 14 sacks (2.3 a game) prior to our game w/ them. While that was middle of the pack, they weren't horrible (Especially when you consider that they were behind a lot and the other team knew they were throwing....). Their problem has been their defense. Yes, we need to see a larger size sample to get the real (full) effect. But I was definitely pleased w/ what I saw.

KayJay

Starter
The Falcons only had 14 sacks (2.3 a game) prior to our game w/ them. While that was middle of the pack, they weren't horrible (Especially when you consider that they were behind a lot and the other team knew they were throwing....). Their problem has been their defense. Yes, we need to see a larger size sample to get the real (full) effect. But I was definitely pleased w/ what I saw.
Agreed, if you want to discredit the offense that's fair. But Matt Ryan has been blistering hot, and the Rams repeatedly got to him a number of times because he had to bring the ball back down. Julio Jones is the best if not one of the best wide out's in the league. There is no way, the Rams holding them to just 10 points wasn't impressive. We'll see more soon, but as of that game; dude came in and made an immediate impact.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It was an impressive start for the Rams in the Ramsey era. I do question the trade with the concerns resigning Rams will have on the cap space and future moves. I don't know if Talib had been hurt for a few games before being put in IR but, he wasn't playing as well as last year. It's great to have one player be able to neutralize the opponents. Ramsey did not shut down Jones but, he did contain him. Had it been Peters covering JJ it could have been much worse. The other option is double coverage which takes away from other coverage.

View attachment 31530

It was a great start but, there are other factors in this game that also helped the Rams to a blow out win. The pass rush was much better against a weaker blocking offensive line. Hard to tell how much influence Ramsey had on that, but I imagine he had some. The Rams got a good lead early and could get pressure on Ryan which limited his time to throw the ball. It's a good start where the Rams could play a more aggressive coverage scheme. We have to see how it holds up against better opponents as the 1-5 Falcons were playing for pride.

He had a TON of influence.

On many plays, Ryan was right on Jones and he more often than not had to go through is progressions.

Well... Wade sent 5 because they were in man...just like in Denver... and we got there fast enough he wasn't able to go through his progressions.

THIS is the No Fly Zone defense Wade wanted to run and with Ramsey, we can run it. It also puts more pressure on the Rams to sign Fowler. If you remember Denver, when DeMarcus Ware left and they replaced him with Shane Ray, that D wasn't the same. Ray was decent, but he wasn't Ware. The caution is that while Ebukam and Obo are good, they aren't Fowler, so we'll see.

If anything, that's ANOTHER benefit of Edwards balling out. If the young guys do step up, there'll be less to do in FA and they might be able to retain Fowler...

But for now...one game at a time...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope to holy fate Ramsey re-signs with us. I've wanted him since his days at FSU, and he's the rare corner who can do anything.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope to holy fate Ramsey re-signs with us. I've wanted him since his days at FSU, and he's the rare corner who can do anything.

‘Ramsey is a lock to extend with the Rams, Memento. He has millions of reasons to do so. Lol.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
REPORT: Los Angeles Rams offered CB Marcus Peters in trade proposal to Cleveland Browns
The offered sparked a little something between two old friends.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Oct 21, 2019, 11:17am CDT

NFL: SEP 22 Rams at Browns

Photo by Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

As if Los Angeles Rams’ General Manager Les Snead didn’t already have an incredibly busy and active week, there was more maneuvering done behind the scenes than just the three trades he executed. Reportedly, Snead offered cornerback Marcus Peters to the Cleveland Browns in the hopes of securing the services of offensive guard Joel Bitonio, but the Browns declined:

Peters was originally drafted by General Manager John Dorsey, who is now the GM with the Browns, though he passed up on the chance to reunite with Peters. Though, as Schefter mentions, it did spark the trade for offensive lineman Austin Corbett,
Ultimately, the Rams did get offensive line help in the form of a young but underperforming player who oozes potential, and the Browns recouped draft capital and let a guy that disappointed have an opportunity for a fresh start.
That trade allowed the Rams to continue shopping Peters, with Snead then calling the Baltimore Ravens and securing a deal. The return of the fifth-round draft pick — in addition to inside linebacker Kenny Young — allowed the Rams the ammo needed to call the Jacksonville Jaguars back, and complete the deal for cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

Being discussed here (y)
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/ra...ers-to-browns-for-bitonio.59509/#post-1250797

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I haven‘t seen a ton of Ramsey in his career... But you can see - even in something as simple as his back peddle - he is another tier of player how fluid he is.

And... That’s a serious compliment because Talib and Peters are both very good players.

I am excited to see the impact. The timing certainly reset expectations on the squad, which we needed.