"That one stung." | "Nobody's crying about it."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
News 4 Sports Director and Rams play-by-play voice Steve Savard said it best on Sports Sunday last night. [hil]Jeff Fisher is about as competitive of a guy as you’re going to find and he doesn’t care if this was just a meaningless preseason game. That one stung.[/hil]

So for all the fans out there who are saying this means nothing and what happens in exhibition play is irrelevant...I disagree with that. Results don’t mean a whole lot in preseason NFL games (I think we all learned this last year when the Rams went a perfect 4-0). But the execution that leads to those results do matter.

http://www.kmov.com/sports/football/Fel ... 88176.html

More on both of those things in a moment but if nothing else, Fisher certainly had not intention of letting the result of a single preseason game affect his approach to the preseason as a whole and he’s not going to let it bother his team, either.

[hil]“I don’t think there were many tears on the airplane coming home yesterday,” Fisher said, a grin creeping across his face.[/hil] “What you want to see is you want to see them play hard and they did. We’ve got to play better. Believe me, we’re not ready for Detroit yet, and we will get better.”

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 82e9c3cdb1

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I thought his comments and attitude in the presser today were probably indicative of the way he feels about the game yesterday. There's nothing to be overly worried about. The Colts had a full blow game plan and a lot of plays available for use. The Rams didnt.

There are obviously things that need to be worked on, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
I thought his comments and attitude in the presser today were probably indicative of the way he feels about the game yesterday. There's nothing to be overly worried about. The Colts had a full blow game plan and a lot of plays available for use. The Rams didnt.

There are obviously things that need to be worked on, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Why is that? I know you want to keep things vanilla and all but why not a "full blown game plan"? I mean don't ya need to practice that too?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:

Why is that? I know you want to keep things vanilla and all but why not a "full blown game plan"? I mean don't ya need to practice that too?

They're still installing the offense and defense. They will add more as each week passes, as Fish pointed out in his presser. He also commented to the reporters that they had seen more exotic plays in practice.

IDK why that's the staffs philosophy, but it is. If I had to guess, it's because, at this point, they want to see who can stand out physically. The players shouldnt shine because the coaching staff out schemed the opposing staff. Run the basic stuff, and let em play instinctual, rather than having play tentative and confused.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It just worries me that we could be behind the Colts with regards to installing our offense. They have a rookie at QB and what looks to be a more vertical offense than what the Rams are planning to run and they looked locked and loaded Sunday. Why was the Rams offense THAT flat footed? Why was the first team defense beaten so badly by the rookie? I know we are not supposed to use the "C" word around here, but I certainly have.....reservations?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
libertadrocks said:

You gotta crawl, walk, run. Colts are trying to skip steps to showcase Luck and send a message.

Their starting MLB also now has a broken foot. One of their starting OG's also has a high ankle sprain, and both backup RB's have injured ribs. As well as their backup LB, and injuries are starting to pile up for them. Their win came at a very high cost.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
IDK why that's the staffs philosophy, but it is. If I had to guess, it's because, at this point, they want to see who can stand out physically. The players shouldnt shine because the coaching staff out schemed the opposing staff. Run the basic stuff, and let em play instinctual, rather than having play tentative and confused.

This probably makes the most sense of what we saw out of anything I have read to date.

Speeps

Starter
Faceplant said:
It just worries me that we could be behind the Colts with regards to installing our offense. They have a rookie at QB and what looks to be a more vertical offense than what the Rams are planning to run and they looked locked and loaded Sunday. Why was the Rams offense THAT flat footed? Why was the first team defense beaten so badly by the rookie? I know we are not supposed to use the "C" word around here, but I certainly have.....reservations?
Nothing we saw Sunday is an indication as where both teams are in terms of the playbook. The Rams purposely decided not to show anything, the Colts did. Just because the Colts showed their guns doesn't mean it's bigger and better.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Speeps said:
Faceplant said:
Nothing we saw Sunday is an indication as where both teams are in terms of the playbook. The Rams purposely decided not to show anything, the Colts did. Just because the Colts showed their guns doesn't mean it's bigger and better.

Exactly. You cant read our limited scheme utilization as we are behind in the installation process. Just different philosophies.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Fair enough. I guess I just don't understand the philosophy of not using the preseason for more than just a glorified scrimmage. Do I really care if we win or lose the game? No. Do I want to see us roll over and play "vanilla" schemes and get shellacked? No. Are the Rams getting ready to unveil a state of the art offensive scheme that no one on the planet has ever seen on tape before? Hardly. Hopefully we will see the team look more cohesive in the next 3 weeks.

Unfortunately......what I saw Sunday was a lot like what I saw last season.

- An OL that cannot PP? Check
- A defense that looked so slow and out of position that I actually questioned if those really were the starters out there? Check
- A QB that looks uncomfortable in the pocket (can you blame him?). Check
- C. Dahl getting burned for a TD (I actually blame our $50 Mil corner for this one)? ALWAYS a check.
- 2 delay of game penalties in the first half? Unreal.

Ah well, I guess it's better to get these "kinks" worked out in the preseason. Hopefully they can/will.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
Fair enough. I guess I just don't understand the philosophy of not using the preseason for more than just a glorified scrimmage. Do I really care if we win or lose the game? No. Do I want to see us roll over and play "vanilla" schemes and get shellacked? No. Are the Rams getting ready to unveil a state of the art offensive scheme that no one on the planet has ever seen on tape before? Hardly. Hopefully we will see the team look more cohesive in the next 3 weeks.

Unfortunately......what I saw Sunday was a lot like what I saw last season.

- An OL that cannot PP? Check
- A defense that looked so slow and out of position that I actually questioned if those really were the starters out there? Check
- A QB that looks uncomfortable in the pocket (can you blame him?). Check
- C. Dahl getting burned for a TD (I actually blame our $50 Mil corner for this one)? ALWAYS a check.
- 2 delay of game penalties in the first half? Unreal.

Ah well, I guess it's better to get these "kinks" worked out in the preseason. Hopefully they can/will.
Yeah, I think that was nearly everyone's visceral reaction to the game. It would be hard to watch that and not have that same sinking feeling that we became all too accustomed to last year. In other words, Mondays sucked hard.

Conversely, if they came out and hung fiddy on the Colts, then nobody would be complaining and even few would be pointing out how it's only preseason, and we shouldn't be encouraged by what we saw. It's perfectly reasonable for people to be a little concerned by what happened, even if the reasons for doing so are emotionally driven. It's football, man. People wanna SEE football, so I don't blame you one bit for not enjoying what you saw.

That said, and like it's been pointed out already, Fisher didn't approach this like a game.